PDA

View Full Version : Question about weight on top of tank

Jason McK
03-06-2004, 03:53 PM
http://www.user.dccnet.com/jmckenzie/hood%20and%20tank%202.JPG

As you can tell by the pic, my lighting set up is less than Ideal. My biggest problem is I can not drill into the ceiling because I have radiant heat from the ceiling. So drilling holes would puncture the heat pad and I would not be able to heat my house.
There are studs in the wall but the tank is not centered on the studs, as you can see.

Now I would also like to lower the lights.

This is my idea. Cut into the canopy so that the lights would slide into the canopy supported by "L" brackets. The fans would be able to vent I could get rid of the monstrosity of chain and plant hangers and my likes would be lower.

My question is will the tank take the extra weight? Is there any rules of thumb for weight set on top of the tank.

Thanks
Jason

StirCrazy
03-06-2004, 03:57 PM
the pic didn't work...

Steve

Jason McK
03-06-2004, 03:59 PM
fixed it.

Thanks
J

MitchM
03-06-2004, 04:21 PM
The tank would take the extra weight, but my suggestion is to mount a piece of solid wood or plywood horizontally along the back wall, anchored to the studs in the appropriate places, and thick enough in order to mount your existing light mounting brackets wherever you like.

Mitch

StirCrazy
03-06-2004, 09:45 PM
The tank would take the extra weight, but my suggestion is to mount a piece of solid wood or plywood horizontally along the back wall, anchored to the studs in the appropriate places, and thick enough in order to mount your existing light mounting brackets wherever you like.

Mitch

that is what I was going to recomend, but I have a question about your radient heating.. it is in the celing to heat the floor above you right? if so it should be stapled in place directly to the floor above and not laying on the gyprock so you would be able to put a hole in the celing for a celing hook. a safe way to do it would be to get a drill bit the right size and turn it in with your hand only nice and slow. But if there is a way to see how it is installed first (a unfinnished room or such) that would be the best thing to do first.

at the same time if you want to get rid of the hangers all togeather you could just mount it directly to your hood and even inset it if you want to lower it and you should be fine.

Steve

Jason McK
03-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Steve,
Many contractors, plumbers and anyone we have had working on this place grimis when they see the era of construction. It's my understanding that in the mid 80's the building code was thrown out the window. The radiant heat is actually defying the laws of physics and heating the room below. I have been in the attic and the gyprock and the heat pas are touching. the pad even runs under the studs.

I think I'll cut down the hood and inset it into the hood.
I will post pics when I'm done.

Thanks
Jason

StirCrazy
03-07-2004, 12:16 AM
Steve,
the pad even runs under the studs.

Thanks
Jason

weird I wonder how they attached the drywall with out going into the pad..

well ya modifying your hood is probably the best idea then

Steve

Jason McK
03-07-2004, 12:26 AM
I'm not sure either but I was up in the attic and there is no way to drill into the studs. or I guess running that way they would be Joyce

Thanks for your help

Jason