PDA

View Full Version : AI SOLs are the best light in the world, here's why...

Aquattro
03-08-2012, 01:09 AM
OK, you're turn :)

reefgirl189
03-08-2012, 01:10 AM
Because they come in white. And black. Just like an iphone, and we all know how popular those are.

The Grizz
03-08-2012, 01:13 AM
There not! My LED's kick there arse :lol: sorry Brad couldn't resist.

subman
03-08-2012, 01:42 AM
There not! My LED's kick there arse :lol: sorry Brad couldn't resist.

I agree! Ill take 2 lol

jorjef
03-08-2012, 01:54 AM
Cus my fish tell me so.... they do, really

fishytime
03-08-2012, 03:31 AM
white.....like those 70's shoes and 80's pants.....I hear they make a great doorstop

Aquattro
03-08-2012, 03:50 AM
The best lights are my 400w Radiums, but SOLs are a great second runner up.

MarkoD
03-08-2012, 04:18 AM
Living at the equator and having a green house with a tank in it

Bblinks
03-14-2012, 06:36 PM
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i331/bblinks/1d2023c4.jpg

I have posted this in several different places since there are so many thread about AIs.

Anyways as you can see with the lens it really makes the AI's a par monster. I know the radion has a better spectrum as it covers the red and green a lot better then AI's but from my personal experience, I would rather take intensity over full spectrum since almost all my sps has really taken off under the intense lighting. I guess the choices are "fuller spectrum" without the intensity or 3 spectrum with high intensity.

Aquattro
03-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Have you thought about adding a couple of red bulbs to the collection? I figure that's what I'll do, should cost a couple bucks. Apparently it can bring out some fish colors, not that I have any fish...

Bblinks
03-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Have you thought about adding a couple of red bulbs to the collection? I figure that's what I'll do, should cost a couple bucks. Apparently it can bring out some fish colors, not that I have any fish...

Funny that you mention it. I am contemplating on doing 2 stripes of 72 x 2 mix clusters of red, green, uv, and cw so I can get my lighting as close to a "full spectrum" as I can! I figure until we can find out what these coral(sps) needs in what specific spectrum it would be better to emulate the sun to the best of our ability by using everything that is available to us but not the extend of turning our tanks into a disco ball.

On the other hand, we really don't know if the coral do need red or green spectrum of light and from the way my sps has reacted from the ai and its intensity almost lends me to think that intensity is more important then spectrum. Is adding all those other lighting and making the top of my tank into a octopus of wiring worth the effort?

Whats your thoughts?

Oscar
03-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Bblinks:

I notice from your signature you also have a 29G cube. Would a single AI Sol work for the cube? And at what height?

Aquattro
03-14-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm thinking that it's only needed for appearances. I think a few reds, maybe greens might make the colors of some corals and fish pop a bit. Since most of my coral are blues and purples, the AI spectrum should replicate what I currently have with radiums. I think. I can see some colors on fish being visually better with some other spectrum, but I don't think it's required for coral growth or color.
So if I did this, it would be a simple strip behind the AIs with a few colored bulbs. I would test it first before I installed it anyway, and if I didn't see noticeable improvement, I'd skip the whole idea.

Bblinks
03-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Bblinks:

I notice from your signature you also have a 29G cube. Would a single AI Sol work for the cube? And at what height?

Yes, most definitely. I would hang it 6 to 10" awl with 70 degree lens. I think you should check out the AI nano as well since they have higher power leds. I am however running DIY 24 cree 50\50 mix of blues and whites supplimented by 2 greens and 2 red on the cube right now and the only reason I did that is to keep the biocube's original canopy.

Bblinks
03-14-2012, 08:26 PM
I'm thinking that it's only needed for appearances. I think a few reds, maybe greens might make the colors of some corals and fish pop a bit. Since most of my coral are blues and purples, the AI spectrum should replicate what I currently have with radiums. I think. I can see some colors on fish being visually better with some other spectrum, but I don't think it's required for coral growth or color.
So if I did this, it would be a simple strip behind the AIs with a few colored bulbs. I would test it first before I installed it anyway, and if I didn't see noticeable improvement, I'd skip the whole idea.

I think I will hold off on the red and greens as I don't think it will do much. Thanks for the input.

BTW I think you might want to re-think about the lens, after looking at the par reading and the way my blue tipped stag being under 900+ pars transfroming from brown bodied blue tipped into a blue body and sky blue tip piece, it really made me wonder if its better to keep the stock 40/70 mix to get the best of both world. I don't know just a thought.

Oscar
03-15-2012, 04:01 AM
I think you should check out the AI nano as well since they have higher power leds.

hmmm...I had not really looked at the Nano before. But for only a few dollars more I still think the Sol might be a better fit. I will have to review the specs again.

Thanks for the feedback.

fishytime
03-15-2012, 04:16 AM
Is adding all those other lighting and making the top of my tank into a octopus of wiring worth the effort?

Whats your thoughts?

my thoughts are.....buy Radions......one power cord, thats it:razz::mrgreen:

Aquattro
03-15-2012, 04:31 AM
my thoughts are.....buy Radions......one power cord, thats it:razz::mrgreen:

Tidy cords for only $1275+tx more. Good deal :)

But, I'm a sucker for the sun, so I'll go to Costa Rica with the money I save and live with an extra cord.

Bblinks
03-15-2012, 04:42 AM

But, I'm a sucker for the sun, so I'll go to Costa Rica with the money I save and live with an extra cord.

Heh heh heh! I am using my money that I saved for Cancun in December!😃

MarkoD
03-15-2012, 04:44 AM

my thoughts exactly.....

the extra cord on the sols is for the controller.....

on the radions you need the extra USB cord and a computer to control it.

Aquattro
03-15-2012, 04:53 AM
Heh heh heh! I am using my money that I saved for Cancun in December!😃

To be fair, the Radion bunch can probably sit in the fish room, tilt the lights and maybe get a bit of a tan!

fishytime
03-15-2012, 04:59 AM
ok....lets do the math here with regards to cords......just for arguments sake lets say three modules.......

AI......3 power cords = 3.....+ 1 cable permanently connected to one module for the controller = 4...... then 2 cables connecting the second and third modules to the unit with the controller = 6 and then Bblinks was tossing around the idea of adding more LEDS in the form of strips to get the three colors that the AI is missing....so on a tank his size lets say for the sake of argument another 2 fixtures (probably more like four) so that =8

Radions 3 power cords = 3.....usb cable to computer only when programing the light (wireless programing with phone apps on the way)......so lets say = 3.5.....

marie
03-15-2012, 04:59 AM
To be fair, the Radion bunch can probably sit in the fish room, tilt the lights and maybe get a bit of a tan!

That's what I have to do only I am using Metal halides so I don't get that fancy schmancy, red/green tan

Aquattro
03-15-2012, 05:05 AM
ok....lets do the math here with regards to cords......just for arguments sake lets say three modules.......

AI......3 power cords = 3.....+ 1 cable permanently connected to one module for the controller = 4...... then two cables connecting the second and third modules to the unit with the controller = 6 and then Bblinks was tossing around the idea of adding more LEDS in the form of strips to get the three colors that the AI is missing....so on a tank his size lets say for the sake of argument another 2 fixtures (probably more like four) so that =8

Radions 3 power cords = 3.....usb cable to computer only when programing the light (wireless programing with phone apps on the way)......so lets say = 3.5.....

Here's my version of math. I AI owner + 1 surf board + 1 beach + 23 scantily clad surfer girls = really happy I have a few cords zapped to the inside of my canopy where I can't see them. :razz: I'll post pics -lol

fishytime
03-15-2012, 05:05 AM
That's what I have to do only I am using Metal halides so I don't get that fancy schmancy, red/green tan

more of a fake'n'bake orange huh?

Bblinks
03-15-2012, 06:32 AM

AI......3 power cords = 3.....+ 1 cable permanently connected to one module for the controller = 4...... then 2 cables connecting the second and third modules to the unit with the controller = 6 and then Bblinks was tossing around the idea of adding more LEDS in the form of strips to get the three colors that the AI is missing....so on a tank his size lets say for the sake of argument another 2 fixtures (probably more like four) so that =8

4.5 more cords = 1500 dollars worth of saving....hmmmm let me think..DONE LIKE DINNER! That is dinner in Cancun!