PDA

View Full Version : Another Louse

EmilyB
03-06-2004, 07:51 AM
:confused:

Same scenario.

Hi *.....* is that a female mandarin, I can't get it to raise it's fin.

Yes.

(Fin came up when it saw Mouse tho and the lfs guy is with it all day). :rolleyes:

Louse2 is fine tho, and living with Pipey. But if anyone is looking in the near future I will sell him to a good home. :smile:

green mandarin male Synchiropus picturatus

EmilyB
03-06-2004, 07:56 AM
On another note however:

There is a spouse for mouse
In yet another house.....

:mrgreen:

Samw
03-06-2004, 08:24 AM
Just came back from the bar Deb?

Canadian Man
03-06-2004, 02:42 PM
Nope she is sane Sam.

A select few will know what her rambling means :lol:

whaase
03-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Anyone wanna fill the rest of us in? the only thing I understood was Emily. :biggrin:

Walter

Bob I
03-06-2004, 03:57 PM
In my very humble opinion it would be prudent if you are adddressing a select few to address those select few who might understand directly. It seems very odd to post remarks that only a few people understand in a general forum that is read by everyone. And that is my opinion, :mrgreen:

kuatto
03-06-2004, 04:41 PM
Deb
I thought you found a spouse for mouse??
(this is starting to sound like one of my kid's books :mrgreen: )
Jim

AJ_77
03-06-2004, 05:18 PM
For those wondering: the LFS sold her the wrong fish (sex), again. It is now living in the pipefish tank, and is for sale.

The quest for a female continues.

Cheers.

LostMind
03-06-2004, 05:34 PM
For those wondering: the LFS sold her the wrong fish (sex), again. It is now living in the pipefish tank, and is for sale.

The quest for a female continues.

Cheers.

I got that, it just felt like deciphering a Dr. Seuss riddle....

AJ_77
03-06-2004, 05:35 PM
I know, it's fun isn't it? :biggrin:

I enjoy it too, it livens up what can otherwise be a fairly dull form of interaction. You have to follow the flow of people's experience, thought and expression to keep up sometimes.

Not every one likes that, though... :razz:

Samw
03-06-2004, 05:40 PM
Thanks AJ. This is like a Clarica commercial and you are the Clarica advisor.

Oh, here's a link to the Clarica commercials if you are a fan

http://www.clarica.com/E/about/story/brand/commercials.asp

christyf5
03-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Poor mouse, he'll never find a spouse. He's got a great house but can only attract a louse.

That ain't right. :wink:

Oh and for the rest of you:

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6224&highlight=louse

Christy :)

StirCrazy
03-06-2004, 09:35 PM
Deb did you specificaly ask for a female? if so I would take it back.. they are fairly easy to sex as long as they lift there fin for ya hehe

Steve

Aquattro
03-06-2004, 10:09 PM
And do you think I can possibly find a male??? Noooo.....

EmilyB
03-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Yah, I know Steve. But I couldn't bring myself to take it back there. :sad:

I will let him know, however, the next time I am in there.

Brad :lol: figures....

Aquattro
03-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Hey, we could meet in the middle. I'll meet you with a female, you bring the male. :razz:

Bob I
03-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Hey Brad that might not be necessary. I have one of those little suckers. The only problem is that I am not conversant with sexing techniques :sad: so I don't know if I have male or female. It is only about 1 to 1.5" long so it might be sexless :question: Now that it has discovered the pod pile I built, it might grow some. :mrgreen:

Aquattro
03-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Bob, the males have an elongated first dorsal spine. Very evident when the fin is spread open.

Bob I
03-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Bob, the males have an elongated first dorsal spine. Very evident when the fin is spread open.

OK he just raised that fin, and it has an elongated dorsal spine. However, I would have to be extremely fond of someone before I would try to tear my tank apart to catch him. :eek: And to be brutally blunt I don't think Deb and myself have as yet reached that stage.(Not through a lack of effort on my part) :lilangel:

Aquattro
03-07-2004, 01:03 AM
And to be brutally blunt I don't think Deb and myself have as yet reached that stage

Maybe some quality time together would create a stronger bond. :razz:

Bob I
03-07-2004, 01:14 AM
Actually she wants a female, and I have a male, so bond building wont work. :sad: , but really I am over 60, so do I really care :question: nah, I have an adage I go by "those who like me like me well, those who don't can go to H**ll. Anyhoo there are more at Ocean. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

JoelF
03-08-2004, 05:38 AM
if I deciphered this right, you are looking for a Manderin. J&L has a mated pair for sale. I was there on Saturday and they had them for sale...hope this helps.

JoelF
03-08-2004, 05:39 AM
if I deciphered this right, you are looking for a Manderin. J&L has a mated pair for sale. I was there on Saturday and they had them for sale...hope this helps.

JoelF
03-08-2004, 05:40 AM
double posting is cool!!

EmilyB
03-08-2004, 05:43 AM
:confused: No, actually a mandarin. :mrgreen: A female Synchiropus picturatus to be more precise.

I have had the male several years now but thanks anyway. I've asked J&L about a female before.

Buccaneer
03-08-2004, 05:54 AM
Deb ... next time you are over can you tell me what my Mandarin is ( male or female ) ... I got him/her from Mike a few months ago but never could tell the difference ... no rush :razz:

Cheers

EmilyB
03-08-2004, 07:21 PM
The first pic on here under Synchiropus picturatus is a male. The sharp tip on the dorsal will not be there on a female.

http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/PicturesSummary.cfm?ID=12740&what=species

Actually, Mike has the perfect mate for Mouse, but has had no luck catching her so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The big tank is just crawling with bug life after I used live phyto/rotifers for a while.