PDA

View Full Version : Coral Books

sleeman
03-06-2004, 02:41 AM
I want to try to get our library to get a couple coral books brought in. I am looking for suggestions. What are the most up to date books out there that offer good information?

Cheers,

Al

JTrigger
03-06-2004, 03:48 AM
Great Q Al. I was just about to post a similar question. I've got a few books, but was interested in picking up some new ones. Currently I have some of the classic coral books like Aquarium Corals, Sprung's Corals: A Quick Ref, Inverts, Concientious Marine Aquarist, Marine Fishes, Reef Secrets... I was just wondering if anyone might suggest any other personal favs!

JT

Pansy-Paws
03-06-2004, 04:19 AM
My current fav is Reef Invertebrates by Calfo and Fenner.

In addition to the topic, great sections on refugiums and macroalgae.

StirCrazy
03-06-2004, 04:25 AM

really good book and really well put together. I would recommend this book with out a problem.

Steve

StirCrazy
03-06-2004, 04:30 AM
delete this one..

sumpfinfishe
03-06-2004, 04:39 PM
My favorite would have to be Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman.
I refer to this book on a weekly basis :cool:
Reef Invertabrates is my #2 choice, followed by The Reef Aquarium volume 1 and 2.

Another must have for the library collection is Corals of the World by Dr. Elizabeth M Wood. This book was printed in 1983 and even though it's over 20 years old, this book is full of tons of useful info that that I haven't found in any other book :biggrin:

JTrigger
03-07-2004, 04:27 AM
Picked up Reef Inverts today... wow, definitely right.. awesome text! :biggrin:

J

Samw
12-22-2004, 09:57 AM

really good book and really well put together. I would recommend this book with out a problem.

Steve

I got this book from Santa after reading how great it was. Did you all notice that Jamie Cross is listed at the back of the book under Photography and Illustration Credits? Neat. Congrats to Jamie. But there are no SPS in this book. So which photos are Jamie's?? :lol:

StirCrazy
12-22-2004, 03:54 PM
I got this book from Santa after reading how great it was. Did you all notice that Jamie Cross is listed at the back of the book under Photography and Illustration Credits? Neat. Congrats to Jamie. But there are no SPS in this book. So which photos are Jamie's?? :lol:

um no I didn'tbut now that you mention it, it is a picture of his yellow tang on page 181.

Steve

Acro
12-22-2004, 06:48 PM
Hey Sam Thanks. Only two photo's of mine were used in this book,but those that got the first run will not have noticed as Anthony forgot to forward my name into the credits. What you think I can only take shots of sps? :razz:

Good eye Steve. :biggrin: Lets see if you can find the other one. Very similiar shot. I'm not sure what page that is on as the first run was slightly different then the one you have.

StirCrazy
12-22-2004, 07:13 PM
how do we know if we have the first run or not?

Steve

Acro
12-22-2004, 07:21 PM
I'm sure there are other ways but if yours has my name in the credits then it's at least the second run. If you had them both in front of you, you would find other differences as well. It is a very good book I might add and a great reference. The only thing really I didn't like was it's a softcover and I prefer hardcovers, but really not a biggy.

StirCrazy
12-22-2004, 07:36 PM
I'm sure there are other ways but if yours has my name in the credits then it's at least the second run. If you had them both in front of you, you would find other differences as well. It is a very good book I might add and a great reference. The only thing really I didn't like was it's a softcover and I prefer hardcovers, but really not a biggy.

ya I just realized that if it was the first run it woulden't have the date of the printing of the second run in it :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

Steve

muck
12-22-2004, 07:45 PM
The only thing really I didn't like was it's a softcover and I prefer hardcovers, but really not a biggy.
They didn't put out a Hardcover version? :confused:
If they didn't thats a bummer cause I also much prefer Hardcovers on my Reference Books and I am thinking of picking this one up.

Acro
12-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Ryan at the time of release it was only in softcover and I brought this up to Anthony but didn't receive much of a responce. I find the binding on hardcovers much better and wasn't that impressed with the binding on this book. Though it may have just been my book. It was a part of the first run and I find there are always changes made after the first run to deal with issues such as this. Personally I'm not sure if they have since come out with a hardcover version but to my knowledge I don't believe so as I've only seen softcovers in any of the stores I have been too.

Ken
12-23-2004, 01:24 AM
Hi. now you hobbyists got me going again. I love books as much as my fish tanks, great suggestions that you all have. How about this one, REEF SECRETS by Alf Jacob Nilsen & Svein Fossa! Good basic informations on lighting, water quality, aquascaping, stocking the aquarium, feeding, reef algae, and a section of fish descriptions. This hardcover book is definitely for someone who appreciate beautiful photograghs and easy to read book. These two authors also written the Modern Coral Reef Aquarium, another good investment to my library. Regards Ken

Rikko
12-23-2004, 01:49 AM
I'm with Ken there - Reef Secrets is a great beginner to intermediate book. My only complaint with it was that there isn't enough emphasis on what is really important and some parts of reefkeeping that don't need to be your obsessive focus.
The stocking guide in the middle also covers a mass of reef critters that is surprisingly comprehensive.