PDA

View Full Version : I guess my evening is booked, just developed a leak in my 25 gallon tank.

ensquire
03-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Off to find rubbermaids , old tank buckets ETC.
Just worried a bit about removing the carpet from the tank. any best practices so that I don't hurt it? also will have to open a bag of sand and rinse it up .
Hopefully I can find someone to cover my shift.....

lockrookie
03-07-2012, 12:29 AM
sorry to hear do you know where the leak is you may be able to temp stop the flow untill after your shift

ensquire
03-07-2012, 01:42 AM
It appears that it is leaking around the bottom trim piece, I have an old tank here that I can use. Guess I will start draining it out now. Hopefully the Nem isn't attached to the bottom glass.....

Arok3000
03-07-2012, 02:07 AM
What are the dimensions of your tank?
Can you find a rubbermaid container large enough to fit the whole tank in?
If you have a friend who can help, two guys can pick up a quarter full 25 gallon and lift it entirely into a rubbermaid, and then top up the rubbermaid and you won't need to stress about physically removing the inhabitants until you have a replacement tank setup.

lockrookie
03-07-2012, 02:09 AM
it most likely is attached but if you massage it gently youllbe ok it will let go good luck

FragIt Dan
03-07-2012, 02:19 AM
That sucks. Been there, done that TWICE! Once on a 75g and once on a custom ~100g, both fully stocked. Lots of circulation, a heater and no light (assuming it is for a short period) in your temp setup will minimize the stress on your critters. And if you are going to patch your tank make sure you get tank friendly silicone that is clear (the white silicone has similar looking packaging).

ensquire
03-07-2012, 06:30 AM
Fish are in a rubbermaid for the nght with a heater and powerhead.
All the rock is in the new tank with just enough water to cover it. rinsed new sand , but still extremely cloudy. I have a couple pails of salt water mixing so that I can add it tomorrow. Anenome is in a bag in with the fish cause I don't want to have to pry him off anything when it's time to put him back in the tank. Took half an hour to massage him of the glass Learned a painful lesson about handling them without gloves :doh:.

Old tank has been banished to the frozen artic temperatures on the deck

So I have gone from a 25 Gallon to a 33, and for the first time my wife was right in there giving me a hand.I took this tank out or use before because I thought it was to big for the space, but it looks great. Only downfall was that in the rush I didn't have time to paint the back so I guess I will have to rig something.
Hopefully by tomorrow the water will clear and I can add the rest of the new water, and move the rest of the inhabitants back into their new home.

ensquire
03-07-2012, 06:34 AM
What are the dimensions of your tank?
Can you find a rubbermaid container large enough to fit the whole tank in?
If you have a friend who can help, two guys can pick up a quarter full 25 gallon and lift it entirely into a rubbermaid, and then top up the rubbermaid and you won't need to stress about physically removing the inhabitants until you have a replacement tank setup.

Would have worked, good idea. Would have saved a bit of stress for sure.

Casey8
03-07-2012, 06:41 AM
It appears that it is leaking around the bottom trim piece, I have an old tank here that I can use. Guess I will start draining it out now. Hopefully the Nem isn't attached to the bottom glass.....

You can use a razor and slide it through slowly at its feet, it only take a few seconds for me to do that.

apexifd
03-07-2012, 07:01 AM
You can use a razor and slide it through slowly at its feet, it only take a few seconds for me to do that.

nothing sharp like a razor.. credit card work great when anemone is attached to a flat smooth surface.

ensquire
03-07-2012, 07:49 AM
nothing sharp like a razor.. credit card work great when anemone is attached to a flat smooth surface.

I used a plastic spatula , and my hand. Took about 20 minutes, cause I didn't want to hurt him..

gregzz4
03-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Only downfall was that in the rush I didn't have time to paint the back so I guess I will have to rig something
I use waterproof material and adhesive velcro for my backdrops

ensquire
03-08-2012, 05:22 AM
I use waterproof material and adhesive velcro for my backdrops

Thanks , I think I will give that a try.

ensquire
03-09-2012, 06:08 AM
Everything moved over yesterday and I changed out the bulbs during the switch of tanks.
2 victims so far. lost a sailfin blennie and my flame scallop.
Carpet is NOT happy , nor the frogspawn or hammer coral,
Fed mysis and flakes today, a couple of whole shrimp to the carpet. Had trouble getting them to stick. Fed some Acan Plus to to frogspawn and hammer.
Water has remained rather cloudy so I added a bag of carbon today also.
The fish all seem fine as of today.
I'm going to mix up another batch of new salt water and test my parameters tomorrow.
What a disaster, I had the old tank running pretty smoothly and am off to Edmonton on sunday. Had every intention on picking up a few goodies for the tank including one of those nice clams at BWA. but unless there is a great improvement by tomorrow, I guess that wouldn't be very SMRT.

A couple of pics of the new setup.... Sorry just have Iphone pics

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18798128/Bedroom/Photo%20Mar%2007%2C%2010%2048%2013%20AM.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18798128/Bedroom/Photo%20Mar%2007%2C%2010%2055%2013%20AM.jpg