PDA

View Full Version : Sealing bulk head

Aquattro
03-06-2012, 03:14 AM
I just drilled my frag tank and chipped the upper side of the hole, just a bit, but it spreads out past the gasket. Any thoughts on ensuring it doesn't leak? It's a 1" bulk head fitting. Thx

The Grizz
03-06-2012, 03:20 AM
A good layer of silicone on both sides of the BH did the trick for me when I did the exact same thing.

tim the toolman
03-06-2012, 03:20 AM
I also had a spur on a 2" bulkhead when I drilled it out. I didn't worry about it. Just gobbed some silicone to ensure a good seal around the spur and have not thought about it since.

Nano
03-06-2012, 03:27 AM
silicone! i had a leak at first too, but dried it up and siliconed it, now its good

Aquattro
03-06-2012, 03:29 AM
Silicone it is :)

Nano
03-06-2012, 03:34 AM
Might not hurt to use a larger gasket too?

tim the toolman
03-06-2012, 03:35 AM
Might not hurt to use a larger gasket too?

+1

unclesalty
03-06-2012, 03:43 AM
Epoxy and then sandpaper is what I would use then its as good and strong as new

Aquattro
03-06-2012, 03:43 AM
Larger gasket won't help if there's no mating flange to press against it. The existing gasket is the full size of the fitting. Oversize would tend to squeeze out as well.
Silicone should do fine.

mark
03-06-2012, 03:49 AM
drill out larger for the next size up

lockrookie
03-06-2012, 03:53 AM
duct tape...fixes everything... thats what the one glass company told me you get a crack in your tank duct tape it it will hold the water until you can deal with it... needless to say i didnt order my glass from them. but it gave me an idea fro a duct tape tank i may build lol.

unclesalty
03-06-2012, 03:58 AM
Silicone it is :)

When they fix windshields do they repair them with silicone? No, they use epoxy!!

tim the toolman
03-06-2012, 04:00 AM
When they fix windshields do they repair them with silicone? No, they use epoxy!!

That is usually for a crack I think. And also tempered laminated glass

unclesalty
03-06-2012, 04:03 AM
That is usually for a crack I think. And also tempered laminated glass

Even a windshield chip similar to what the OP is talking about it is repaired with epoxy. Silicone will probably work but myself I like the epoxy idea as being more of a permanent fix. Each to there own tho!

FragIt Dan
03-06-2012, 04:34 AM
I use silicone on my gaskets, but not silicone glue. The glue is a pain in the but to clean off. I use silicone gel from SCUBA shops (I am a diver and so have lots around). It is food grade, inert, and keeps the seal on 3000psi orings from leaking on my scuba tanks. It also allows easy r&r if you need to replace it later and it allows for some give (it is a lubricant) to rotate your bulkhead on the tank. I have it on several connection points in my tanks that I want to seal but also may want to remove later.

Aquattro
03-06-2012, 05:40 AM
Epoxy? What kind? This is just a sliver of a chunk that flaked off, not sure there's enough surface for epoxy. Or where to get it. I think silicone is probably easier, and I have it on hand.

Aquattro
03-06-2012, 05:41 AM
drill out larger for the next size up

No, I don't want to drill more than I have to, it's always stressful :) And my luck, I'd chip it again and still have to deal with it, and exchange the bulk head, get new plumbing, etc...

unclesalty
03-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Epoxy? What kind? This is just a sliver of a chunk that flaked off, not sure there's enough surface for epoxy. Or where to get it. I think silicone is probably easier, and I have it on hand.

If its not deep I wouldn't worry about using epoxy then. Mine was on the outside of tank but I'm kinda picky so I filled it with epoxy then sanded it level. I probably could of just left it be but.... The windshield repair places use a more expensive special epoxy but I just used just regular 2 part epoxy that can used on various surfaces including glass and bought just about anywhere.

lastlight
03-06-2012, 02:15 PM
you could drill the same sized hole (without a chip) in a patch piece of glass. Silicone that to the inside of the tank and then use your bulkhead. Just be like having thicker glass is all.

Aquattro
03-06-2012, 02:20 PM
you could drill the same sized hole (without a chip) in a patch piece of glass. Silicone that to the inside of the tank and then use your bulkhead. Just be like having thicker glass is all.

Can't say I've ever drilled a hole without getting a chip in it :) Then if I have to silicone the new piece, it's just like siliconing the the chip :)

lastlight
03-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Lol so you're always gasketing over chips... this one's just a bit bigger is all :wink:

I've had to install a bulkhead from the other side before and it never leaked. Is the other side chipped too? You're only concerned with the side that touches gasket...

Aquattro
03-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Ya, both sides :( Usually the areas don't extend past the gasket, but this time it was a bit more. Might try duct tape...:)

lockrookie
03-06-2012, 04:16 PM
see i knew you would give in to duct tape

Aquattro
03-06-2012, 04:16 PM
see i knew you would give in to duct tape

It fixes everything, ya know!

unclesalty
03-06-2012, 04:17 PM
It fixes everything, ya know!

It can be used to make a boat even as I seen the other day on TV!