PDA

View Full Version : Display Tank Teaser Pics

UnderWorldAquatics
03-05-2004, 05:19 AM
Well the tank is out of the mould, just needs overflows, fiberglass rockwork, pillars, and a million other things...
14'x7'x6' of water depth, colour will be different after additional work is done, outside will probably be finished in fiberglass rockwork as well...

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/130BareTank-med.jpg?1761

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/130CleanUp-med.jpg?100

UnderWorldAquatics
03-05-2004, 05:21 AM
oh yeah, the window is 10'x5'x2"

zulu_principle
03-05-2004, 05:28 AM
Is that you in the pic Kyle ??

Wendell

Gujustud
03-05-2004, 05:28 AM
Looks fantastic! where is it going?

UnderWorldAquatics
03-05-2004, 05:33 AM
no thats not me... the tank is in florida being finished

still havent decided where to put it... probably either in the new fishroom/showroom, or build it into the house mabey???

Jack
03-05-2004, 05:41 AM
Wow. Doesn't look cheap!

I'm guessing acrylic front pannel?

Aquattro
03-05-2004, 05:47 AM
Isn't that a rather custom job to pay for without knowing exactly where it's going? :eek:

Mak
03-05-2004, 05:50 AM
I think I spilt enough drool on my Keyboard to fill that thing up!!! :redface: :mrgreen: :lol:

UnderWorldAquatics
03-05-2004, 05:52 AM
Yeah Jack, cheap it is not...
Front window will be the new scratch proof acrylic that we are offering, tank is also getting a layer of foam still, then the fiberglass rockwork on the front and fiberglass covering the foam on the rest of the tank, it is even earthquake rated. cant wait to have it running, now I can have some of my fav tangs and other fish and not feel so bad...
I cut the tank down a bit in size, trying to make it a little more pratical...lol With sump it should be a healthy 5000gallons

UnderWorldAquatics
03-05-2004, 05:54 AM
now that you can see the general shape and size of the tank, does anyone have any ideas of different ways to set it up? inside and out, 1000 heads are much better than my slow brain

Buccaneer
03-05-2004, 06:00 AM
Are you planning on a reef Kyle ?

UnderWorldAquatics
03-05-2004, 06:06 AM
I guess you could say reef shelf, I want alot of open water for big tangs, and alot of rock shelfs full of corals and other inverts

Buccaneer
03-05-2004, 06:17 AM
Have you seen Steve Weasts 850G ? ... the idea of a channel is appealing especially if you can look at an angle and see 4 - 5 ft or more with rock walls covered in corals ... caves are kewl too ( any eels ? ) ... 1000W MH I assume ... any idea how deep that will penetrate ? ... for circulation I have had good luck with penductors ( increase pressure rated pump by 5 X ) which will cut down on your hydro

Cheers

UnderWorldAquatics
03-05-2004, 06:29 AM
yeah I will be using eductors to increase in tank flow, Im pretty sure Im going with an RK2 75 High Flow Skimmer, 105-140GPM on the skimmer, then a couple of 180-220GPM pumps for tank circulation, plumbing will be like a maze, Im not set on lighting but probably some 1000W halides and some 400W halides, and mabey something else...
thinking of overflow across the entire back wall at the top, return eductors poping out from behind back rockwall nicely hidden, was thinking of doing the left wall as part of the reef shelf, rockwork is hard to figure out.....

DBM
03-05-2004, 09:32 AM
:eek:

In the first pic I thought it was about the size of a bathtub. Man alive!

You could grow some huge coral colonies and clams in that baby.

StirCrazy
03-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Front window will be the new scratch proof acrylic that we are offering,

do you have small 4"x4" samples of this plastic that people can try out and evaluate? I would like to try scratching it with a few commen tank tools, if it doesent scratch I might be interested in a tank of this stuff.

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics
03-05-2004, 05:07 PM
we are waiting for some samples Steve, they havent made a proper sheet mould yet, they have been pumping out big cylinder tanks like crazy with this stuff, they are just renovating one of their plants right now for sheet production, the said they were working on a mould for the window of my tank, so they should have some soon. I will send you a sample Steve as soon as we get them

Nemain
03-05-2004, 06:23 PM
wow :eek:

I could teach the kids to scuba dive in that thing!

Beautiful.

Beth

whaase
03-05-2004, 08:53 PM
we are waiting for some samples Steve, they havent made a proper sheet mould yet, they have been pumping out big cylinder tanks like crazy with this stuff, they are just renovating one of their plants right now for sheet production, the said they were working on a mould for the window of my tank, so they should have some soon. I will send you a sample Steve as soon as we get them

Will these be coming about the same time as SA bulbs and ballasts? :smile: :confused:

Walter

UnderWorldAquatics
03-05-2004, 09:13 PM
no they will take longer probably, the bulbs and ballasts are ready to ship. If you want them, tell your fav store to order some.

Buccaneer
03-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Kyle ... send me a sample when you get them as well ... I am looking for a 96" X 34" front pane for my new tank ... let me know what it would cost vs Starphire

Cheers

UnderWorldAquatics
03-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Ill post when I get the samples in.
Another pic showing that its a little large, moving to another production wharehouse...

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/130MovingTank-med.jpg?8595

kuatto
03-06-2004, 12:06 AM
that is going to be one nice looking tank.Are you setting it into a wall,or building a wall unit around it?
The possiblities for a tank that size is endless!!

Jim

Chad
03-06-2004, 12:10 AM
:eek:

In the first pic I thought it was about the size of a bathtub. Man alive!

You could grow some huge coral colonies and clams in that baby.

I thougt the same thing when I first took a glance.. Then I noticed the forklift.. wow..

UnderWorldAquatics
03-06-2004, 12:22 AM
it will get a fiberglass rock wall probably hiding the front so the viewing window kinda looks like it was cut out of a reef wall. then lots of fiberglass rock structure inside so it looks like the edge of a reef shelf with many levels to place corals and whatever on.probably a rock pillar out in the open water section for fish to swim around. I also want an overhang rock structure that fish can swim through and hide under. I still might put a 14th century spanish anchor in it too. like you said kuatto, the posibilities are endless, its just hard to decide which ones to go with...

robbyville
03-06-2004, 12:50 AM
Nice looking and sounding set-up Kyle! I'm of course looking forward to hearing about your progress.

One question for you, if you're thinking of adding real corals, etc. Do you have to worry about the foam work being done on the inside of the tank? Or is it a "reef safe" type of foam to be used?

Thanks,

Rob

UnderWorldAquatics
03-06-2004, 01:02 AM
there wont be any foam in contact with the water, foam will be sprayed on the outside of the tank to insulate and earthquake proof it, then the foam gets covered in more fiberglass. only fiberglass and epoxy gets used inside the tank, It does have to soak and cure for awhile before adding anything.

Old Guy
03-06-2004, 01:24 AM
Seeing the container I assume it will be coming by ship? Let me know the particulars and I can let you know exactly when it comes off the vessel.

UnderWorldAquatics
03-06-2004, 01:52 AM
no the tank will be going by truck, he just uses that truck to move stuff from one wharehouse to another for different stages of the manufacturing process. We do have some tanks comming up though that will be going by sea as you could fit 4 of this size tank in the one tank

Jack
03-06-2004, 04:58 AM
How much does a tank like this cost?

UnderWorldAquatics
03-06-2004, 07:33 AM
you can get a simple fiberglass tank for a reasonable price, this one is being built to the highest standards and will be strong but have give for earthquakes(not that we get any)tank is made with many different weights and blends of fiberglass, some polyester. tanks for institutes are required to meet high engineering standards and must be earthquake proof, this one will be used as an example for our clients so it is being built to the same standards, when done the tank walls will be about 4" thick. that and all the additional fiberglass rockwork that is getting done to it inside and out will make it a pretty pricey tank. right now I cant even guess.... 30K-40K not sure yet what it would book out too, Ill know when the rockwork is done....
I do have a price for another tank we are designing, it measures 35'x15'x10' and will have a single 25'x8' acrylic window, window is one piece custom scratch proof acrylic sheet. that tank without any decortive work, no plumbing or anything else is costing $225,000.00US
A tank like the one pictured that will last forever and hold water but not super duper reinforced to institution standards would probably cost around $20K the tank as is in the pic would probably go through a big earthquake no prob but industry standards are way overkill... Im not really sure of the price because the tank is a gift built however I want.... I can get a quote for a similar tank and let you know for sure

sumpfinfishe
03-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Let me know when it's all done Kyle, my fins and mask are already packed :mrgreen:

You also better start investing into BC Hydro stocks :eek:

Sweet tank!

I'm also interested in a sample of that scratch proof stuff too.

Jaws
03-06-2004, 09:41 PM
You definitly have to continue posting pics of how everything's progressing. I almost want to see your finished product more than my own. How long do you think until it's in full operation?

UnderWorldAquatics
03-06-2004, 09:51 PM
to be realistic, I would have to say at least 6 months, but it could easily take a year, I dont want to cut any corners and am designing it to be as efficient as possible for what I want in the end... also the cost of everything is a little through the roof and Im not taking out a loan for a fishtank..lol
slowly but surely.......... :mrgreen:

Jaws
03-06-2004, 09:57 PM
I commend you for not having to take out a loan already on a tank that size. Must have traded in a lot of bottles and cans to get where you are today.

UnderWorldAquatics
03-06-2004, 11:25 PM
well the tank and all the fiberglass work on it and in it is free due to good business dealings, and the acrylic window is almost free due to good business dealings. But then there are the many pumps, fittings(3"-4" PVC fittings are silly expensive), ballasts, bulbs, (trying to work on an led lighting setup to reduce electrical running costs), huge skimmer, huge calcium reactor, ozone generator, water quality moniters and controllers, timers, 90x30lb bags of aragonite, 25x200g buckets of salt just to get it full, backup generator cuz you dont want to know how much the rock and livestock will be worth, ventilation, chiller/heat exchanger, and many other things... yeah it will take some time but it is comming along

StirCrazy
03-07-2004, 12:01 AM
well the tank and all the fiberglass work on it and in it is free due to good business dealings, and the acrylic window is almost free due to good business dealings. But then there are the many pumps, fittings(3"-4" PVC fittings are silly expensive), ballasts, bulbs, (trying to work on an led lighting setup to reduce electrical running costs), huge skimmer, huge calcium reactor, ozone generator, water quality moniters and controllers, timers, 90x30lb bags of aragonite, 25x200g buckets of salt just to get it full, backup generator cuz you dont want to know how much the rock and livestock will be worth, ventilation, chiller/heat exchanger, and many other things... yeah it will take some time but it is comming along

Kyle, save your self some money on the argonite, put resin on the bottom and imeadeatly throw enuf on to make a layer over the resin and let it cure.. this will give you the look of a DSB with out the future problems.

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics
03-07-2004, 12:57 AM
Good idea Steve! Ill have to think about that one...