PDA

View Full Version : RBTA regaining bubble tips!

dc4
03-05-2012, 07:07 PM
So, I have had a rbta in my tank for about 5 months now, when I bought it from a fellow reefer it did not bubble up at any time and was always long and skinny even in their tank. So, I have read and read about btas losing their bubble tips and there was no conclusive evidence as to why. I have stopped feeding my anemones after obtaining so many of them and just had them feed from the food I put in the tank for the fish and corals but since selling all but one of them, I thought I would start again.

So, on Saturday, I defrosted and rinsed a big chunk of krill and hand fed it to the rbta, it snatched all of it up and ate all of it within a few minutes. Usually when feeding the previous nems, they would always spit out the leftover food it could not digest but this rbta took all the food and wasted none of it. I noticed the tenticles were a lot thicker on Sunday than previously so I thought maybe I should try feeding it again. I thawed and rinsed another big chunk of krill and fed it to the rbta. Again it took it all and ate it within minutes and spit nothing out all day.

Woke up today and took a look at the tank, my snowflakes looked a bit odd and were sitting on the sand at the bottom of the nem for some reason, not sure why but it was sure odd. I wonder if the sting of the rbta is getting stronger or if its the new flame angel picking on them as they are only just over an inch long. Anyways, it worried me a bit but then I looked at the rbta and it had really, really thick tentacles and about 5 of them with bubble tips! Since the rbta had never bubble tipped at all at anytime in the 5 months I have had it, had to be the feedings that were causing this.

I am going to continue to feed the rbta daily and if it regains all its bubble tips, I am going to be a really happy reefer as its a stunning red color. :mrgreen:

Just thought I would type this up, its not to say that this will cause every bta to regain their bubbles but just my personal experience with feeding so please dont go crazy and start a flame war on the topic, thanks. :razz:

ponokareefer
03-05-2012, 07:14 PM
My RBTA initially had bubbles, but lost them shortly after coming into my tank. 2 years have passed with no bubbles. I switched to LED lights not to long ago, and the bubbles are all back. I don't know why the bubbles come and go.

DanG
03-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Be careful to not overfeed the BTA. They should get enough energy from your lights, assuming they're strong enough.

dc4
03-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Be careful to not overfeed the BTA. They should get enough energy from your lights, assuming they're strong enough.

I have 4 sets of 60w LED units on my 72g so Im sure thats enough light for my nem however it seems to really like the feedings and usually they spit out the remainder if over fed.

daniella3d
03-05-2012, 08:55 PM
How can you overfeed an anemone? it will just spit out what it does not want to eat, or will simple release it and not eat it?

Mine have bubbles and I feed them a little bit each day, plus they hang in the light all day long.

They seem to bubble when they have enough energy and get long tentacles if they are hungry.

I have 4 sets of 60w LED units on my 72g so Im sure thats enough light for my nem however it seems to really like the feedings and usually they spit out the remainder if over fed.