PDA

View Full Version : Scared of bio pellets lol

bling_bling466
03-05-2012, 06:53 PM
With all the articles I've read it seems more bad then good. What I have kinda desired to do with the bio pellets in use less then told to and start with even less and add slow. I watch some vids and came to the conclusion. To tumble the bio pellets at a lower rate. I've never had a problem with nitrates and I've been using phosban media for the last couple months.I have a little bubble algea problem but besides that no other algea. Any tips my tank is mostly sps and lighting is LED. The live rock is a couple years old as I did an upgrade in October witch is used new sand and old live rock and water. Any tips would be great

The Grizz
03-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Start with 1/2 the recommended amount & when that depletes to half, add some more to a little better then half and so on until you get to what is recommended. Be sure to soak them for 24 hrs in RO water before use. Don't tumble them to slow or they will clog up. You don't want them to fly around just rotate bottom to top.

bling_bling466
03-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Thanks alot I usually do water changes every two weeks and havnt really had much nitrate problems but I do 16 gallons in a 55 gallon with 50 lbs or rock so do you think I should do less changes or maybe once a month

The Grizz
03-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Keep doing you water changes, it replaces essential additives your reef require's.

marie
03-06-2012, 12:14 AM
If you have no algae or nitrates, why do you want to run bio pellets?

bling_bling466
03-06-2012, 01:57 AM
I figured I wouldn't have to do as meny water changes and Ive heard the sps does alot better and colors are nicer toO.. I do have bubble algea but I doubt the pellets I'll remove it. I did have some cheato grow on some rock but I used some 2 part magnesium paste and it hasn't come back. my tank is all sps and Lps if that means anything

whatcaneyedo
03-06-2012, 02:12 AM
Your situation sounds like mine. I didn't have a nitrate issue and phosphate was low enough that I could control it with a minimal amount of GFO changed monthly. I thought biopellets would improve growth in the tank, allow me to cut back on water changes and eliminate the need for GFO entirely. I tried a fraction of the minimal amount recommended and my results were horrible. The few soft coral that I had bleached as did my montipora. It took months for the soft coral to recover and my montipora are still struggling to come back long after.

marie
03-06-2012, 02:18 AM
Seriously, if it's not broke, don't "fix" it. I sometimes think more tanks go downhill from "tweaking" then from ignorance :lol:

freezetyle
03-06-2012, 02:38 AM
Seriously, if it's not broke, don't "fix" it. I sometimes think more tanks go downhill from "tweaking" then from ignorance :lol:

Truth!

doch
03-06-2012, 03:16 AM
If you're going to run anything, I'd say prodibio. I do have some algae issues, and as soon as I started with it the algae slowed down a ton. I've only been using it a short while, but so far it's great!! Super easy too. Once every 2 weeks. I also run GFO.... also super easy... change it once a month.

bling_bling466
03-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Sounds good I think I'm just gonna keep with my feeding schedual and keep running the phosban remover.