PDA

View Full Version : Radion vs. AI Sol

subman
03-04-2012, 10:16 PM
I couldn't find this thread and I'm actually surprised it doesn't exist lol (although it started on a couple other threads)
Anyways I am looking to make the move to leds and these seem to be the front runners. I like the radions integration with my vortechs. I like that the AI sols can connect to my profilux and the price of course. Just looking to get some opinions on either I know there is no right or wrong kinda like Coke vs Pepsi (Pepsi for me) any experiences.

I currently have lps and softies but always want to leave the sps door open lol

thanks

phi delt reefer
03-04-2012, 10:23 PM
look into the Nanobox LEDs system. Very nice unit and they use multiple color leds as well. Hand made in the States too! They are about $450 a module i think. Someone on this forum just ordered one.

Reef Pilot
03-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Why don't you search separately for Radion and AI Sol? There has been lots of discussion about these on Canreef. And yes, I think it is very much a Chevy vs Ford choice.

Myself, I have 3 Radions installed on one of my tanks, and like them very much. But I am sure you will find that everyone that has AI Sols installed likes them just as much. Maybe you should ask, who has had them both, and whether they prefer one over the other, and why.

In my case, I have the Radions in a canopy over the tank with only 8 inches of clearance inside. It is my understanding that Sols prefer 12 inches to get the spread and coverage required for some tanks. So, I think the Radions were the best choice for me. They still have some software gliches to work out, but that will be fixed, I'm sure, and I was able to program around them with no problem.

Nano
03-04-2012, 10:27 PM
MarkoD did a side by side comparison of the 2, AI was the clear winner IMO

Reefie
03-04-2012, 10:29 PM
I can't remember who it was, but a fellow Canreefer ran BOTH and did a great comparison. He had one of each on opposite sides of his tank. I just tried searching for the thread, but couldn't find it.

Reefie
03-04-2012, 10:30 PM
MarkoD did a side by side comparison of the 2, AI was the clear winner IMO

+1 Sorry Marko D, thanks nanomano for knowing who it was!

cuz
03-04-2012, 10:40 PM
I've been searching for the easy answer to this question as well. For myself I think the dollar difference between the two is my deciding factor. Both fixtures seem to work well from what I've seen on pics of peoples tanks..

MarkoD
03-04-2012, 10:58 PM
If you compare 2 sols to one radion, the sols win in my books.

subman
03-04-2012, 10:58 PM
I've been searching for the easy answer to this question as well. For myself I think the dollar difference between the two is my deciding factor. Both fixtures seem to work well from what I've seen on pics of peoples tanks..

what are you leaning towards?

subman
03-04-2012, 11:02 PM
If you compare 2 sols to one radion, the sols win in my books.

I understand why your comparing 2 vs 1 price wise but is that a fair comparison?

mark
03-04-2012, 11:05 PM
seems lots saying better spread for the Radion, Sol better for depth

fishytime
03-04-2012, 11:17 PM
I think the program-ability and the spectrum range of the radions kick arse on the AIs.....AIs price kicks arse on the radions....

Aquattro
03-04-2012, 11:40 PM
The big question is does one SOL equal one Radion for coverage? Some have suggested that you need 2 SOLs to equal one Radion. Which is it? I know for me, if/when I switch to LED, price will be a big factor. If I can buy 3 SOL for 1200 and that puts out equivalent light to 3 Radion at 2500, there's really nothing left to talk about.
I don't need reds and greens, and I don't need programmability. I need lights to come on, grow coral, go off, repeat.

subman
03-05-2012, 12:04 AM
I see what your saying Brad, and after reading the side by side comparison by Marko I'm even more confused. It looks as though the sol and radion are close in light to me, but I think if the Radion was positioned higher up it would have more coverage.

So in my mind it would be either be 2 Radions vs 3 sols over my 4ft tank. In that case price difference becomes negligible.

(I'm also a technology junkie so all the extra bells and whistles on the Radion are very appealing )

MarkoD
03-05-2012, 12:04 AM
The big question is does one SOL equal one Radion for coverage? Some have suggested that you need 2 SOLs to equal one Radion. Which is it? I know for me, if/when I switch to LED, price will be a big factor. If I can buy 3 SOL for 1200 and that puts out equivalent light to 3 Radion at 2500, there's really nothing left to talk about.
I don't need reds and greens, and I don't need programmability. I need lights to come on, grow coral, go off, repeat.

Lol we actually agree on something.

I had a radion for a month and the novelty features wore off after a week.

MarkoD
03-05-2012, 12:05 AM
I see what your saying Brad, and after reading the side by side comparison by Marko I'm even more confused. It looks as though the sol and radion are close in light to me, but I think if the Radion was positioned higher up it would have more coverage.

So in my mind it would be either be 2 Radions vs 3 sols over my 4ft tank. In that case price difference becomes negligible.

You can also move sols higher to get more spread too

jorjef
03-05-2012, 12:16 AM
I think the only time the spread argument is valid is when a person only needs one light on a cube or possibly when a tank is greater than 24" front to back. In a traditional shaped tank one Radion would never be able to cover the same area as 2 Sols and visa versa so a person would need two of either lights. If price is an issue (which it was for me) there really wasn't much to decide. I don't think anyone could find a Radion user with one light on a 48" wide tank and 2 Sols will suffice on that same tank. My decision was done.

Not sure how the goofy purple face got there but for the people that pay attention to these things I'm "not" unhappy lol

sphelps
03-05-2012, 12:24 AM
If you have a Profilux the sols seem like the logical choice. Profilux control for the AI should do everything the Radion does unless I'm not aware of something. If you're looking for intergration with your vortechs, get the profilux vortech control module. If you're looking for red/green add profilux sim LEDs. Looking for better spread, consider the sol 70/70 optic version so all optics are 70 degree.

tim the toolman
03-05-2012, 12:28 AM
I'm pretty sure that you can order the SOL system with altered angels on some of the LEDs which will help increase the coverage. There is a link online somewhere that I will post of a company that ran 3 different brands of LEDs together and ran comparisons. The sol was the clear winner in almost every category, but especially in the price category. They also include some neat built in features like thunderstorm modes and full upgradeability as new options become available. I will definitely be going sol when I upgrade.

PS I just helped my buddy set up a 5 module sol system on his 250 this week and he is loving both the coverage and the programability. I think it has something like 16 different timers available that run into one another so you can really control the intensities and variances.

Borderjumper
03-05-2012, 12:40 AM
I have two Radions over my 48" tank and love them I've never seen a SOL, so I can't compare them or really comment.

I have been thinking of going LED over my 16" cube tank.. I'm actually considering one SOL as I think a radion is overkill for that small of a tank.

Looking at Ocean Aquatics webpage, it looks like the SOL comes in two color choices.. The white which is 12-14K and the blue which is 20k.. What are people using? And am I correct that the K color can not be adjusted to suite your eye?
How about intensity? Can that be adjusted?

jorjef
03-05-2012, 12:58 AM
I'm using two super blue. I can adjust individually the intensity of all three White, royal blue and regular blue which gives quite a wide range visually to choice from.

MarkoD
03-05-2012, 01:02 AM
I have two Radions over my 48" tank and love them I've never seen a SOL, so I can't compare them or really comment.

I have been thinking of going LED over my 16" cube tank.. I'm actually considering one SOL as I think a radion is overkill for that small of a tank.

Looking at Ocean Aquatics webpage, it looks like the SOL comes in two color choices.. The white which is 12-14K and the blue which is 20k.. What are people using? And am I correct that the K color can not be adjusted to suite your eye?
How about intensity? Can that be adjusted?

with the 80 dollar ai controller or third party controller you can adjust intensity of each of the 3 colors to adjust the color

Borderjumper
03-05-2012, 01:36 AM
with the 80 dollar ai controller or third party controller you can adjust intensity of each of the 3 colors to adjust the color
Are you using the Blue?

Aquattro
03-05-2012, 01:46 AM
Shelley, from what I read, the AI comes in the SOL white and super blue. The difference is that each has a different range of color. I believe the other features are all the same.
For me, I would be using my Apex to run them, so whatever that does, is good, I suppose :)

My concern tho, is on my tank, I figure I've got a rectangular area containing corals about 18" x 60"ish. Are three of either good enough for this area, with some corals being 24" deep.
Some site I read compared the AI to a 400w MH, but AI's site doesn't mention that anywhere I can see.

cuz
03-05-2012, 01:46 AM
what are you leaning towards?

so far I think I'm leaning towards AI!! I'm not looking into spread as much as i"m looking for depth, At 30" tall I can add more fixtures for spread but that wouldn't help hit the bottom of the tank..

cuz
03-05-2012, 01:49 AM
so how many radion would it take to do 96Lx30Hx40D vs how many AI's?????

I guess anothe question is should a person go with all blue's or mix them up 50/50 with the white fixtures??

tim the toolman
03-05-2012, 01:59 AM
the fixtures which are called the super blues are actually a mixture of the white royal blue and the standard blues.

Borderjumper
03-05-2012, 02:01 AM
the fixtures which are called the super blues are actually a mixture of the white royal blue and the standard blues.
And the whites are just all white?

jorjef
03-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Eight of either is where I would start. After that it would be personal preference to have more.

tim the toolman
03-05-2012, 02:05 AM
from what i understand yes.
here is a link to the site i mentioned earlier. i think it clearly shows the AI system to be the best going.
http://www.h2oplusomething.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=222:ecotech-radion-vs-aquaillumination-sol-vs-vertex-illumina&catid=40:equipment&Itemid=64

fishytime
03-05-2012, 02:15 AM
If you have a Profilux the sols seem like the logical choice. Profilux control for the AI should do everything the Radion does unless I'm not aware of something. If you're looking for intergration with your vortechs, get the profilux vortech control module. If you're looking for red/green add profilux sim LEDs. Looking for better spread, consider the sol 70/70 optic version so all optics are 70 degree.

If you have a profilux.......if you dont then you need the profilux $500, you need the ai control module $100(just guessing), you need the vortech control module $285, you need the red/green sim leds$200 and then the AI soll at $400.....for a grand total of 1500 to do what a radion does.....even if you already have the profilux unit itself then thats about $600 worth of add on goodies you will need......

if your a tech junkie then you might find this appealing .....I have my radion programmed to do this.....orange sunrise in the AM (just a lipstick do nothing feature, but it looks cool) ....then the light slowly ramps up in intensity to somewhere between 6700k and 10000k into the middle of the afternoon (really ugly yellow looking grow the bejeebers out of your coral spectrum.... but hey I dont care cuz Im at work)....then I have the spectrum slowly change from 10000k to close to 20000k from the late afternoon to the late evening (for when Im home looking at the tank)....then it goes to 22000k briefly and then dims down to 2% through the night for moonlight effect.......I get the best of all spectrums...... do that with an AI:mrgreen:.......if the SOLs where the shizz then why is an upgraded AI unit comparable to the radion in the works???......lets not forget about the wireless connectivity between the units, wireless communication with the vortech pumps, soon to be Mac compatible, the ability to program the unit from your PC with a nice big screen and spectral graphs, soon to be wireless programing from your PC.....I could go on but.........

Its kinda like skimmers......you can get by quite nicely with a vertex or reef octopus, but what you really want is the Bubble King:wink:

Aquattro
03-05-2012, 02:20 AM
Its kinda like skimmers......you can get by quite nicely with a vertex or reef octopus, but what you really want is the Bubble King:wink:

No, never wanted one of those :)

For me, I have an Apex, so controller is taken care of (I think the IAI unit is 129??). The AI allow for pretty much what you describe, minus the lipstick. I'm not home then either, so won't miss it. I don't use vortech, so wireless isn't useful.
I suppose for a tech junkie the Radion is a great light. Sorry, it's a great light anyway, I've seen them in action, I just can't afford them. The AIs look to be close enough for my needs and I can't afford them either, but might, one day :P

cuz
03-05-2012, 02:26 AM
The bells and whistles are sweet, but right now I don't loose sleep about being unable to program my halides..

Mostly my issue is the cost as well....8 radions vs 10 AI's.....If it came down to solid coral growing facts I could justify the extra cash but otherwise its a hard bill to swallow..

unclesalty
03-05-2012, 02:30 AM
I have owned both fixtures at the same time and I also own a par meter and a power meter. IMO Radion is a far superior light in every way possible except the AI par is a wee bit better. The AI has been around for a couple years and is old school in comparison to the Radion. You will need almost 2 AI fixtures to 1 Radion fixture so Radion is a better buy. The new AI Vega fixture might compare with the Radion when its released but not current AI model. Before you buy do your research and you will find out what the better fixture is. If someone tells you the AI is a better fixture tell them to put down the crack pipe! :lol:

sphelps
03-05-2012, 02:33 AM
If you have a profilux.......if you dont then you need the profilux $500, you need the ai control module $100(just guessing), you need the vortech control module $285, you need the red/green sim leds$200 and then the AI soll at $400.....for a grand total of 1500 to do what a radion does.....even if you already have the profilux unit itself then thats about $600 worth of add on goodies you will need......

if your a tech junkie then you might find this appealing .....I have my radion programmed to do this.....orange sunrise in the AM (just a lipstick do nothing feature, but it looks cool) ....then the light slowly ramps up in intensity to somewhere between 6700k and 10000k into the middle of the afternoon (really ugly yellow looking grow the bejeebers out of your coral spectrum.... but hey I dont care cuz Im at work)....then I have the spectrum slowly change from 10000k to close to 20000k from the late afternoon to the late evening (for when Im home looking at the tank)....then it goes to 22000k briefly and then dims down to 2% through the night for moonlight effect.......I get the best of all spectrums...... do that with an AI:mrgreen:.......if the SOLs where the shizz then why is an upgraded AI unit comparable to the radion in the works???......lets not forget about the wireless connectivity between the units, wireless communication with the vortech pumps, soon to be Mac compatible, the ability to program the unit from your PC with a nice big screen and spectral graphs, soon to be wireless programing from your PC.....I could go on but.........

OP has a Profilux hence my comment, for AI connection you just need an inexpensive cable not module. The other things are just options but with the AI starting at half the price makes buying such things easier and there purpose goes far beyond just matching a Radion.

And btw the Radion is not the BK of LEDs, it's the vortech of LEDs with comparable models like Tunze with what's better only coming down to personal preference. BKs are timeless, Radions will be obsolete in less than a year.

tim the toolman
03-05-2012, 02:34 AM
http://www.h2oplusomething.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=222:ecotech-radion-vs-aquaillumination-sol-vs-vertex-illumina&catid=40:equipment&Itemid=64
Why do these tests state otherwise?

unclesalty
03-05-2012, 02:39 AM
Why do these tests state otherwise?

Myself I will take nicer colour spectrum for a bit less par but each to there own. Have you checked out the thread on RC where people were complaining about the poor AI colour spectrum?

unclesalty
03-05-2012, 02:40 AM
OP has a Profilux hence my comment, for AI connection you just need an inexpensive cable not module. The other things are just options but with the AI starting at half the price makes buying such things easier and there purpose goes far beyond just matching a Radion.

And btw the Radion is not the BK of LEDs, it's the vortech of LEDs with comparable models like Tunze with what's better only coming down to personal preference. BKs are timeless, Radions will be obsolete in less than a year.

My guess is the AI Vegas will soon be the best fixture out there very soon!

sphelps
03-05-2012, 02:49 AM
Myself I will take nicer colour spectrum for a bit less par but each to there own. Have you checked out the thread on RC where people were complaining about the poor AI colour spectrum?

I agree that after playing around with LED colors the red and green are key to reduce the need to run the whites as high which drown out color. But I just don't see the value of paying twice as much for $50 worth of parts. It does however come down to what you have already for controllers and what you're willing to do or sacrifice. For straight out of the box the Radion has value for sure but each person will have to decide if that's the case for them personally.

sphelps
03-05-2012, 02:51 AM
My guess is the AI Vegas will soon be the best fixture out there very soon!

Perhaps, problem is with these damn LEDs is the next fixture is always around the corner and likely the next best thing. The problem I have with the Vega is that is looks to make the sol obsolete, not likely to see much more for upgrade kits.

fishytime
03-05-2012, 03:07 AM

as I said, its still 500 bones worth of add -ons you would need on top of the 400 bones for the AI.....radions are 825 smackers...... and how does a cable, vortech module and sim led go far beyond what a radion can do?...

speaking of cables:mrgreen:....did I mention the wireless aspect of the radions?.....

Radions will be obsolete in less than a year.

by that rational AIs are already obsolete.....not to worry, almost everything on the radions is modular and upgradeable to the latest and greatest:wink:

unclesalty
03-05-2012, 03:18 AM
When it comes right down to it the new AI Vegas will be obsolete in a year also and Ecotech will be working on there next fixture soon if they are not already. LED lights are much like every electronics product as they are almost obsolete before they even hit the market!

unclesalty
03-05-2012, 03:20 AM
I agree that after playing around with LED colors the red and green are key to reduce the need to run the whites as high which drown out color. But I just don't see the value of paying twice as much for $50 worth of parts. It does however come down to what you have already for controllers and what you're willing to do or sacrifice. For straight out of the box the Radion has value for sure but each person will have to decide if that's the case for them personally.

I ended up getting a really good deal on mine so the Radions were a no brainer for me

sphelps
03-05-2012, 03:24 AM
as I said, its still 500 bones worth of add -ons you would need on top of the 400 bones for the AI.....radions are 825 smackers...... and how does a cable, vortech module and sim led go far beyond what a radion can do?...

speaking of cables:mrgreen:....did I mention the wireless aspect of the radions?.....

by that rational AIs are already obsolete.....not to worry, almost everything on the radions is modular and upgradeable to the latest and greatest:wink:
Far beyond as in other reasons, vortech module allows everything to work seamlessly through one controller that has web access and eliminates the need for the individual controllers. So the reason for the vortech module is more than just integration with the light fixture. Also the OP has a 90 gallon so more than one fixture will be needed so even with the extra options still cheaper. And they're options, as in the buyer has the choice whether to add them or not, options are good.

As for the Radions being upgradeable, lets wait until they actually release a kit, more likley they'll just release a new fixture with 6 channels including some UV.

subman
03-05-2012, 03:26 AM
Ive been looking up the AI Vega and can't seem to find any hard specs on it just internet 'spec'ulation. This is worse than cell phones.:frusty:

unclesalty
03-05-2012, 03:28 AM
Far beyond as in other reasons, vortech module allows everything to work seamlessly through one controller that has web access and eliminates the need for the individual controllers. So the reason for the vortech module is more than just integration with the light fixture. Also the OP has a 90 gallon so more than one fixture will be needed so even with the extra options still cheaper.

As for the Radions being upgradeable, lets wait until they actually release a kit, more likley they'll just release a new fixture with 6 channels including some UV.

Thats exactly what AI is doing and I bet Ecotech does the same. It puts alot more money in their pockets that way.

subman
03-05-2012, 03:29 AM
I've fell for future upgrades before, the upgrade costs 10% less than a completely new product! My profilux 2 needs $500 in upgrades and still can't run half the new stuff as only the 3 can

unclesalty
03-05-2012, 03:30 AM
Ive been looking up the AI Vega and can't seem to find any hard specs on it just internet 'spec'ulation. This is worse than cell phones.:frusty:

They had it all set to be released last fall but its seems after the Radion came out it was held back. I bet AI now got something to equal or better the Radion

sphelps
03-05-2012, 03:31 AM
Thats exactly what AI is doing and I bet Ecotech does the same. It puts alot more money in their pockets that way.

Totally, the upgrade feature seems more like a marketing thing. In retro spec unless you can upgrade more than just the LEDs so that your old fixture matches new fixtures there is little point.

subman
03-05-2012, 03:31 AM

...which has become a normal business plan for all manufacturers especially in electronics. I can accept that just want the best one available today

unclesalty
03-05-2012, 03:35 AM
Totally, the upgrade feature seems more like a marketing thing. In retro spec unless you can upgrade more than just the LEDs so that your old fixture matches new fixtures there is little point.

Vertex seems to be the exception as they just seem to be making pads to be added to the current fixture. Color led pads and now a UV pad

sphelps
03-05-2012, 03:39 AM
Vertex seems to be the exception as they just seem to be making pads to be added to the current fixture. Color led pads and now a UV pad

Yeah I like the vertex better than both to be honest cause it's a fixture, the module stuff to me doesn't come close to looks when you need more than one. I also like the Reeftechs but this threads about sols and Radions. I didn't know about the UV pad though, that's cool.

apexifd
03-05-2012, 05:05 AM

profilux will only need a $30 cable to control AI Sol. and Vortech module is $200.

If you already have a Profilux, then AI may be a good choice. I have 3 modules over my 210 right now, and it's enough for sps and lps. and it's half the price of the Radion.

subman
03-05-2012, 05:34 AM
will that cable work with a profilux 2?

sphelps
03-05-2012, 03:14 PM
will that cable work with a profilux 2?

Yes

Aquattro
03-05-2012, 03:22 PM
I have 3 modules over my 210 right now, and it's enough for sps and lps

got a full tank shot with that config? How high are the lights off the water?

Oilers
03-05-2012, 04:37 PM
So that I am clear. For Radion, you don't need to buy a separate controller but for Sol you do. Am I correct?
My tank is 5x2x2. Somebody already told me that I would need 3 Sols to cover my tank. Does that mean I need 3 Radions as well if I choose Radion or would 2 be sufficient?

sphelps
03-05-2012, 04:43 PM
So that I am clear. For Radion, you don't need to buy a separate controller but for Sol you do. Am I correct?
My tank is 5x2x2. Somebody already told me that I would need 3 Sols to cover my tank. Does that mean I need 3 Radions as well if I choose Radion or would 2 be sufficient?

Radions have controller built in, sols do not and require the purchase of one or they work will most aquarium controllers. You would need at least 2 Radions for the tank, 2 would be about the same as 3 sols.

Aquattro
03-05-2012, 04:55 PM
What I would like is to hear from people running the AI, utilizing 1 unit per 2sq ft, and whether they feel it's enough, or not. Since PAR is apparently far greater on these than the Radion, then raising them higher allows for great spread, while maintaining decent PAR. Right?

sphelps
03-05-2012, 05:07 PM
What I would like is to hear from people running the AI, utilizing 1 unit per 2sq ft, and whether they feel it's enough, or not. Since PAR is apparently far greater on these than the Radion, then raising them higher allows for great spread, while maintaining decent PAR. Right?

The way I look at it is this, Radions basically don't use optics while sols do hence the reason why radions get better spread but less par. In terms of power they are pretty close:

Radions:
24W Blue
30W R-Blue
40W White

Sol Blue:
24W Blue
24W R-Blue
24W White

The major difference is the Radion has more white but, while this will come down to personal preference, most run LEDs at about a 2 blue/rb to 1 white ratio. So the extra white on the Radions are not really much of an advantage.

So that said in a real life example the two are pretty much matched in power and in theory lifting the sols higher should produce similar spread and par as the Radion, especially if all the optics are switched to 70 degrees.

Aquattro
03-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Which brings us back to the big question. How many does one need to cover a 18" x 60" area?(which is roughly my rock area)

MarkoD
03-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Which brings us back to the big question. How many does one need to cover a 18" x 60" area?(which is roughly my rock area)

Thats exactly the area I'm covering with 3 sols 12" above water

sphelps
03-05-2012, 05:53 PM

Well assuming you run them lengthwise and set them high enough to cover the 18" width then you could assume they would cover at least 24" lengthwise being that they are 6" longer than wide. So 3 is what I would start with but I'd use the 70/70 versions.

Aquattro
03-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Thats exactly the area I'm covering with 3 sols 12" above water

What have you got for coral? Mine is heavily stocked SPS which really love the light. After 6 months with the 400w radiums, some will start to brown out.
I'm not sure 3 of these will replace what I have now.

sphelps
03-05-2012, 06:30 PM
What have you got for coral? Mine is heavily stocked SPS which really love the light. After 6 months with the 400w radiums, some will start to brown out.
I'm not sure 3 of these will replace what I have now.

Yeah it's hard to say, you might want to stick with the AI recommendations and go with 5 mounted the other way. The good thing you could always try 3 and see how it goes, if you find yourself running them close to 100% and still not giving the corals enough light you could always add the other two. IMO though if the 3 sols won't work then 3 Radions won't either.

Aquattro
03-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Ya, I think they're fairly comparable, intensity and coverage wise. Problem is I can't afford 5, so if 3 didn't work, I'm stuck.
I guess until I see a colorful SPS tank running 3, I can't consider this.

sphelps
03-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Yeah although it would be cool to see 200W of LED replace 1200W of halide it does seem unlikely.

apexifd
03-05-2012, 07:13 PM
got a full tank shot with that config? How high are the lights off the water?

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/apexifd/69098bf1.jpg

those are with light @ 40%, and I will get alot better coverage if I have they mounted length wise across the tank.

MarkoD
03-05-2012, 07:15 PM
I've got sps growing 18 inches deep no problem.

100% on both blue and 75% white and 100% only white when I'm at work

MarkoD
03-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Look at dez's tank. He's got 3 covering a 60" tank full of sps

Werbo
03-05-2012, 07:59 PM

3 AI's or Radions?

Aquattro
03-05-2012, 08:24 PM

He has a bunch of supplemental LED tho, no?

MarkoD
03-05-2012, 08:28 PM
he's got 3 AIs and a couple strips to light the front and back.

i think he's covering more than 18" front to back.

im uploading a picture now of my 18 with 3 AI, give me a few min

Aquattro
03-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Close ups of corals would be good too.

MarkoD
03-05-2012, 08:52 PM
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2012-03-05at24327PM.png

i dont have much for corals. but here are a few sps. and some lps

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2012-03-05at25334PM.png
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2012-03-05at25402PM.png

this one started with one branch 2 months ago
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2012-03-05at25424PM.png

this also started as one branch about 3 months ago
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2012-03-05at25457PM.png

put this in about a month and half ago. started encrusting
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2012-03-05at25530PM.png

couple months in the tank. started encrusting and spreading
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2012-03-05at25556PM.png

lps on sand bed
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2012-03-05at102641AM.png
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2012-03-05at102555AM.png
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2012-03-05at102819AM.png

Aquattro
03-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Ok, that coverage looks ok, and the corals look to have kept their color. How have you got those mounted, and how high?

MarkoD
03-05-2012, 09:02 PM
12" above water level.

all 3 mounted onto an aluminum U channel rail.

still working on a vertical rail system to make them height adjustable.

Aquattro
03-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Good, so it looks like I can get away with 3 then. Are these the white or blue?

MarkoD
03-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Good, so it looks like I can get away with 3 then. Are these the white or blue?

blue

Aquattro
03-05-2012, 09:13 PM
blue

Perfect. Thx.

Borderjumper
03-05-2012, 09:38 PM
I don't see these for sale locally.. Who carries them?

Aquattro
03-05-2012, 09:41 PM
I don't see these for sale locally.. Who carries them?

I believe ProReef can get them in. I would like to see one running though...

apexifd
03-05-2012, 10:11 PM

I think BWA and OA are the 2 authorized dealer.

Aquattro
03-05-2012, 10:17 PM
I think BWA and OA are the 2 authorized dealer.

Garreth made it sound like he's brought many in...

Does the price on these vary, or is it locked by the manufacturer?

MarkoD
03-05-2012, 10:18 PM
it varies. i got 3 for under a 1000 dollars during the store tours here :)

Borderjumper
03-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Same here..

Aquattro
03-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Same here..

Garreth says he's set some up, so I'll see if I can find some locally.

Borderjumper
03-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Garreth says he's set some up, so I'll see if I can find some locally.

Sweet.

MarkoD
03-06-2012, 12:09 AM
heres how i mounted mine. basic 13 dollar u channel.

not the rip off rails that AI sells for 60 bucks or whatever

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2012-03-05at32005PM.png

subman
03-07-2012, 01:25 AM
heres how i mounted mine. basic 13 dollar u channel.

not the rip off rails that AI sells for 60 bucks or whatever

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2012-03-05at32005PM.png

will that work with radions?

bigal
03-07-2012, 02:31 AM
YouTube has a couple side by side comparisons. From the recerch I did and first hand seeing them in action side by side I went with the sols

bigal
03-07-2012, 02:36 AM
Goreef sells them four 399$ that's where I got mine free shipping over 150$

Oilers
03-07-2012, 04:18 AM
Marko,
Where did you get the U-channel from? Which store did you get your Sols at? PM me if you like. Thanks.

MarkoD
03-07-2012, 04:44 AM
Marko,
Where did you get the U-channel from? Which store did you get your Sols at? PM me if you like. Thanks.

i got sols from red coral and i got the U channel from totem. they also sell them at princess auto

Raf
03-07-2012, 05:09 AM
Set up both brands up for many clients and like both BUT. given the price difference my preferance would be for the AI. Although the Radion does have more features and tech advantages(like wireless communication vs messy wires between fixtures), has better spread(although not better depth) and replicates the full color spectrum more adequetly. Also, not sure if the AI's come in black, but the white on silver is not my first choice for a light fixture...

Some up sides to the AI is that its fan is located near the top of the unit rather than the bottom....for those without a glass top, the salt will eventually find its way into that Radion fan. Also the ability to add legs and not just be limited to hanging kits as with the Radion.

Aquattro
03-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Yes, they come in black now. Which was the flip over for me to consider them. Gotta be color coordinated :)

Bblinks
03-07-2012, 09:51 PM
I have owned several different leds fixtures including a pacific sun unit. I am strong beliver on leds as I believe they are the future of reef keeping. I am currently running AI sol units on my sps dominate tank with great success. All the sps has displayed tremdously amount of growth and coloration due to a higher par reading that AI has compare to most other units or fixtures. I am running them on an identical schedule compare to my 250w metal halides with the exception of ramping up and down during sunrise and sunset. Its like I am running 400W MH(the 400 was used on the my tank prior to 250s)without any of the excess heat and electricity cost. It's like I got the best of both worlds. If I was asked to rate the performance of one AI, I would tell you that 1 AI sol unit has the intensity equal to a 400W MH with the coverage 12"X24" area, and if you are looking to grow sps coral with good coloration that won't break the bank, my friends this is the light for you.

Going through this thread, it was almost humorous to hear some of the arguments people are making. You need 2 AIs to 1 radions for coverage. I for one can tell you that's bull$***. Comparing par rating one would almost think you will need 2 radion to 1 AI instead. Don;'t get me wrong, I do like the radion's added benefits with wireless control being on the top of the list, but the radion is designed to replicate radium 250 metal halides bulbs which would make it less intense and the only reason it has better coverage is because it doesn't use any lens which makes them a 120 degrees spread compare to 70 degrees on the AIs.

Bottom line for me will always be as long as the fixture can grow sps coral that's all it matters to me! I have seen many sps tanks using AI's with great success(search reef central for more reference) which reinforced my decision on the purchase, plus not to mention all the saving I got which I can use towards other stuff for the tank.

Talk is cheap so if anyone wants to argue please show me some pictures of your tank with radion running before you start. A picture speaks a thousand words.

Aquattro
03-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Bottom line for me will always be as long as the fixture can grow sps coral that's all it matters to me!

That pretty much sums up my requirements. I'm going to try three on my 180 and see what the acros think :)

MarkoD
03-07-2012, 10:06 PM
That pretty much sums up my requirements. I'm going to try three on my 180 and see what the acros think :)

you can always add more as your needs dictate. thats the beauty of buying modular LED pendents over a single large fixture.

Aquattro
03-07-2012, 10:08 PM
you can always add more as your needs dictate. thats the beauty of buying modular LED pendents over a single large fixture.

No, I can afford 3. Almost..If that doesn't work, the MH go back on.

MarkoD
03-07-2012, 10:16 PM

i dont see the logic there.

my metal halides cost me over 75 dollars per month to run. 5 months and that pays for an additional sol fixture

unclesalty
03-07-2012, 10:18 PM

Not a chance in hell 3 AI's would work for me on a 6 ft 180g! Myself I would definitely go with halides over 3 AI's over a 180g. Compare Coralgurls tank with 3 Radions to other pictures of 180 gallon tanks on Canreef that show 3 AI integrating spotlights with the disco light effects I almost guarantee with dark ends of the tank. Too many uneducated LED people is the main problem.

MarkoD
03-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Not a chance in hell 3 AI's would work for me on a 6 ft 180g! Myself I would definitely go with halides over 3 AI's over a 180g. Compare Coralgurls tank with 3 Radions to other pictures of 180 gallon tanks on Canreef that show 3 AI integrating spotlights with the disco light effects I almost guarantee with dark ends of the tank. Too many uneducated LED people is the main problem.

oh and then you have this radion fanboy.

i think too many fanboys that think "more expensive means better" is the problem

unclesalty
03-07-2012, 10:24 PM
oh and then you have this radion fanboy.
You must the guy who could use another 2 or 3 fixtures on your tank! :lol:

Aquattro
03-07-2012, 10:25 PM
i dont see the logic there.

my metal halides cost me over 75 dollars per month to run. 5 months and that pays for an additional sol fixture

Mine cost less than half that. And I get to make monthly payments. The logic is I may be able to come up with the 1500 to equip the tank with 3 units, not 1900. Don't have it.

MarkoD
03-07-2012, 10:25 PM
3 sols can cover my rock work perfectly

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2012-03-05at24327PM.png

and i dont have to clean the glass as often since theres no light spilling onto it, yay

Bblinks
03-07-2012, 10:26 PM

Brad, I am sure you will be happy with the purchase, You saw how it looks on apexfd's 210 with only 40% intensity. However it will appear a bit dimmer then what you are use to when you first put them on but I assure you it will have enough light to keep all the corals happy and colorful.

I know Martin at Modular have them on sale for 399 with free shipping plus its only 7% GST up there. I know its not much savings but its better then nothing.

Let me know how it goes.

Aquattro
03-07-2012, 10:28 PM
We don't need name calling. Thanks.

Three units should work just fine, based on Dez' success. My rock/coral area is about the same as his, and he's fine with three.
And I do think the SOLs are better lights at a better price. They put out more light. I don't need, no, want all the stuff radion owners think is cool, I need light that grows coral and gives the same color as my MH.

unclesalty
03-07-2012, 10:28 PM

and i dont have to clean the glass as often since theres no light spilling onto it, yay

It look kinda dark for my liking but each to there own! Check out Coralgurls tank with 3 Radions. Way better coverage and colour spectrum!

MarkoD
03-07-2012, 10:31 PM
It look kinda dark for my liking but each to there own! Check out Coralgurls tank with 3 Radions. Way better coverage and colour spectrum!

its dark because you obviously dont know how a camera works. cameras cant capture the same dynamic range as a human eye

how about you show us your tank?

Aquattro
03-07-2012, 10:34 PM
I know Martin at Modular have them on sale for 399 with free shipping plus its only 7% GST up there. I know its not much savings but its better then nothing.

That seems to be the going rate. Saving a couple of bucks on tax may work out better than buying in BC. Plus he offers swapping of the optics if he's got some. Still thinking on that feature.

Aquattro
03-07-2012, 10:36 PM

I think coverage might be a bit better, but they're less intense. I need more intensity for my tank. Coverage is sufficient with the AIs for my needs.
I also need color close to my radiums. Maybe a bit whiter. I don't need red or green. Seems like a waste of space to me, better utilized for practical bulbs. But to each their own..

Bblinks
03-07-2012, 10:40 PM

I totally agree with you, 3 will cover a 180 no problem with way better par reading then the radions on any day of the week. sorry uncle, marko has a point here. I have used it on my own 210 running just 3 units and now its running on my good buddy's similar size tank with only 3 units with all good results.

Bblinks
03-07-2012, 10:44 PM
That seems to be the going rate. Saving a couple of bucks on tax may work out better than buying in BC. Plus he offers swapping of the optics if he's got some. Still thinking on that feature.

Yes, I would highly recommand you changing to all 70 degrees lens since he will do it for free. I was going to get all mine changed over but since I got 9 on the tank, coverage isn't something I am concerned with.

Aquattro
03-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Yes, I would highly recommand you changing to all 70 degrees lens since he will do it for free. I was going to get all mine changed over but since I got 9 on the tank, coverage isn't something I am concerned with.
What effect on intensity do you think this would have?

Veng68
03-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Sanjay's new article on LED fixtures:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/aafeature

I'd like to see the new Kessil Tuna Blue unit........ but I guess that's to new.

Cheers,
Vic

MarkoD
03-07-2012, 10:52 PM

heres a realistic comparison

Radion:
8x Cree XP-G Cool White LEDs run at 5w each
8x Cree XP-E Blue LEDs run at 3w each
10x Cree XP-E Royal Blue LEDs run at 3w each

White and blues on radions equal to 94 Watts

4x Cree XP-E Green LEDs run at 3w each
4x Osram Oslon SSL Hyper Red LEDs run at 3w each
i dont consider these as photosynthetic light

Sols:
8x 3 watt white
8x 3 watt blue
8x 3 watt royal blue

total 72 watts

so with radions you're basically paying more than double for an additional 22 watts. and when you consider that the radions dont have any kind of optics; that 22 watts probably just gets dispersed into the water or ends up lighting the inside glass of your tank

Aquattro
03-07-2012, 11:01 PM
heres a realistic comparison

I was asking more about the effects on intensity when switching out the 40 for 70 degree optics.

Bblinks
03-07-2012, 11:04 PM

I am really not sure Brad, but I would guess it to be down about 10% of what was originally tested. I am getting a par meter from a LFS, I could swap out 1 unit into all 70 degree lens and see what the difference is in par reading. One can only speculate without doing proper testing.

Aquattro
03-07-2012, 11:05 PM
I am really not sure Brad, but I would think it would be down about 10% of what was originally tested. I am getting a par meter from a LFS, I could swap out 1 unit into all 70 degree lens and see what the difference in par reading. One can only speculate without doing proper testing.

That would be awesome, thanks

unclesalty
03-07-2012, 11:07 PM
I totally agree with you, 3 will cover a 180 no problem with way better par reading then the radions on any day of the week. sorry uncle, marko has a point here. I have used it on my own 210 running just 3 units and now its running on my good buddy's similar size tank with only 3 units with all good results.

Sorry I have to totally disagree with you as its no comparison. Markos tank definitely needs more light at each end for my liking but if it works for him thats good! Coralgurls tank has way better coverage as its very very very easy to see that. Talk to anyone that has had both fixtures and they will tell you including myself.

MarkoD
03-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Sorry I have to totally disagree with you as its no comparison. Markos tank definitely needs more light at each end for my liking but if it works for him thats good! Coralgurls tank has way better coverage as its very very very easy to see that. Talk to anyone that has had both fixtures and they will tell you including myself.

I've had both fixtures and I'm telling you.

Coralgirl's pictures were taken with a flash.

But how about this, you show me a picture of your tank with the radions and I'll never post against you again. Ever

unclesalty
03-07-2012, 11:10 PM
I think coverage might be a bit better, but they're less intense. I need more intensity for my tank. Coverage is sufficient with the AIs for my needs.
I also need color close to my radiums. Maybe a bit whiter. I don't need red or green. Seems like a waste of space to me, better utilized for practical bulbs. But to each their own..

I would take better spread as the Radions don't even need to be close to be maxed out so. Currently my 2 fixtures on my 120 are only using 105 watts combined and Jhammer can verify that as I showed him on the weekend.

unclesalty
03-07-2012, 11:14 PM
I've had both fixtures and I'm telling you.

Coralgirl's pictures were taken with a flash.

But how about this, you show me a picture of your tank with the radions and I'll never post against you again. Ever

I had both fixtures too with a PAR METER also!
There was no decision whatsoever which fixture to sell and which to keep
Ok when 180 is up and going I will take and post pictures. Also some par and power/wattage readings pics to go along as an added bonus!

MarkoD
03-07-2012, 11:18 PM
I had both fixtures too with a PAR METER also!
There was no decision whatsoever which fixture to sell and which to keep
Ok when 180 is up and going I will take and post pictures. Also some par and power/wattage readings pics to go along as an added bonus!

oh so what you're saying is you dont even have a running tank?

so what makes you such an expert in LEDs?

Doug
03-07-2012, 11:18 PM

I cant speak Mr. Halide guy.....:lol: Good for you.

.....just teasin of course. I look forward to your thoughts on them as I was thinking of buying one or the Radion for my new cube. Or I suppose one more SWC unit to supplement the one I have already.

MarkoD
03-07-2012, 11:23 PM
here you go unclesalty. i took this picture just for you.

think its bright enough?

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2012-03-07at52900PM.png

Aquattro
03-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Well, I see it like this. One of the nicest SPS tanks on the board uses 3 AIs and has the same area I need covered. And at half the cost, it's a no brainer. I would still need 3 radions to cover my tank, and that's over 2500 bucks. $1000 more than I need to spend for AIs.
I have not seen a SPS tank posted here with radions of any caliber to make me think otherwise.
Yes, the radion is a nice looking fixture, it has lots of geek appeal if you like that sort of thing, but I do not believe it is a better light. I believe it is a different light, more suited to a different audience. If I had a ton of spare cash lying around, maybe I'd consider them.

unclesalty
03-07-2012, 11:25 PM
oh so what you're saying is you dont even have a running tank?

so what makes you such an expert in LEDs?

I have a 120g goin with 2 Radions with excellent coverage. 1 AI didn't cover 1/2 of my 120 tank properly so it was obviously sold.
PAR meters are devices that are used to measure and compare light fixtures. Not accurate with LED's but good for comparing 2 LED fixtures. Par meters are not needed even needed when looking at Radion coverage vs AI spotlighting as it can be seen with the naked eye.

MarkoD
03-07-2012, 11:28 PM
I have a 120g goin with 2 Radions with excellent coverage. 1 AI didn't cover 1/2 of my 120 tank properly so it was obviously sold.
PAR meters are devices that are used to measure and compare light fixtures. Not accurate with LED's but good for comparing 2 LED fixtures. Par meters are not needed even needed when looking at Radion coverage vs AI spotlighting as it can be seen with the naked eye.

i've posted threads with pictures showing the difference between the 2 fixtures proving my point.

why wont you post a picture to prove yours?

unclesalty
03-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Well, I see it like this. One of the nicest SPS tanks on the board uses 3 AIs and has the same area I need covered. And at half the cost, it's a no brainer. I would still need 3 radions to cover my tank, and that's over 2500 bucks. $1000 more than I need to spend for AIs.
I have not seen a SPS tank posted here with radions of any caliber to make me think otherwise.
Yes, the radion is a nice looking fixture, it has lots of geek appeal if you like that sort of thing, but I do not believe it is a better light. I believe it is a different light, more suited to a different audience. If I had a ton of spare cash lying around, maybe I'd consider them.

If you think the AI is better fixture than the Radion can I interest you in one of my bridges for sale? :lol: Another uneducated one who has not owned both fixtures!

MarkoD
03-07-2012, 11:29 PM
If you think the AI is better fixture than the Radion can I interest you in one of my bridges for sale? :lol: Another uneducated one who has not owned both fixtures!

you look like the uneducated one here. talking out of your butt and you wont even post a picture of your tank

cuz
03-07-2012, 11:29 PM
I think I might have to split the difference and go half AI's, half radions just so i stay neutral with everyones led gangs...lol

4 radions across the back
4 AI's along the front!!

unclesalty
03-07-2012, 11:30 PM
here you go unclesalty. i took this picture just for you.

think its bright enough?

http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss232/IvankaD/Screenshot2012-03-07at52900PM.png

Coralgurls pic blows that pic out of the water I have to say with her colouring

MarkoD
03-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Coralgurls pic blows that pic out of the water I have to say with her colouring

we're talking brightness. so i showed you brightness

unclesalty
03-07-2012, 11:32 PM
I think I might have to split the difference and go half AI's, half radions just so i stay neutral with everyones led gangs...lol

4 AI's along the front!!

What some are doing is buying the cheaper AI's then supplementing them with T5's to achieve proper colouring to match the Radions

unclesalty
03-07-2012, 11:33 PM
we're talking brightness. so i showed you brightness

Sorry but thats ugly brightness though if you ask me

Bblinks
03-07-2012, 11:34 PM

4 AI's along the front!!

Maybe another row of orphek on the sides...:mrgreen:

MarkoD
03-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Sorry but thats ugly brightness though if you ask me

but i didnt touch the brightness of the LEDs.

can you please explain why one picture looks so overly bright and the other one looks "too dark" as you say?

unclesalty
03-07-2012, 11:36 PM
but i didnt touch the brightness of the LEDs.

can you please explain why one picture looks so overly bright and the other one looks "too dark" as you say?

I'm not exactly sure. Did you maybe have the end fixtures in the first pic turned down maybe to achieve the dark ends??

reefme
03-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Marko vs Unclesalty. AI Sol vs Radion. I will wait till Vega and see. Right now DIY I go.

MarkoD
03-07-2012, 11:38 PM
I'm not exactly sure. Did you maybe have the end fixtures in the first pic turned down maybe to achieve the dark ends??

no its because i took the second picture over exposed!

which is why comparing tanks in pictures is irrelevant.

this amazing spread that you've seen in coralgirls tank is because she used a flash when she took the picture. duuuurrrr, it blankets the entire tank with even light

unclesalty
03-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Marko vs Unclesalty. AI Sol vs Radion. I will wait till Vega and see. Right now DIY I go.

I am not giving up on this fight! lol
I sense already the Vega will be awesome and compete with the Radion

MarkoD
03-07-2012, 11:41 PM

i still want to see a picture of your tank.

Aquattro
03-07-2012, 11:42 PM

You probably don't want to start calling me names, it won't end well. :neutral:

I don't need to own both, I need enough light to adequately light my tank and grow my corals. And the opinions of Dez and Rich are enough for me, and your opinion is not.
This was an otherwise good thread until you showed up arguing and insulting. Maybe go away so it can resume being good thread.

unclesalty
03-07-2012, 11:43 PM
i still want to see a picture of your tank.

Its under the Radion thread but I will take another pic of it tomorrow when its at peak intensity only using 105 watts

unclesalty
03-07-2012, 11:44 PM
You probably don't want to start calling me names, it won't end well. :neutral:

I don't need to own both, I need enough light to adequately light my tank and grow my corals. And the opinions of Dez and Rich are enough for me, and your opinion is not.
This was an otherwise good thread until you showed up arguing and insulting. Maybe go away so it can resume being good thread.

Ok bye uneducated one!

unclesalty
More educated people on reef central anyhow!

MarkoD

imagine how stupid this guy would look if he admitted that he wasted his money on radions.

fishytime
03-07-2012, 11:45 PM
it was supposed to be a thread debating the two fixtures, but has been nuthin but an AI thread for about three pages:wink::razz:

unclesalty
03-07-2012, 11:45 PM
imagine how stupid this guy would look if he admitted that he wasted his money on radions.

Radions can be sold or are you stupid?

MarkoD
03-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Radions can be sold or are you stupid?

i think you should go to reef central and join your fanboys.

you have no credibility here anymore

unclesalty
03-07-2012, 11:48 PM
it was supposed to be a thread debating the two fixtures, but has been nuthin but an AI thread for about three pages:wink::razz:

They have it in there heads that an AI is a better fixture- too much crack i guess

Aquattro
03-07-2012, 11:49 PM
We're gonna take a commercial break for a while :)

Aquattro
03-08-2012, 12:03 AM

Yes, you're right. My apologies, it was mostly me that did that. I did start a AI thread, so I'll take my chatting over there.

Carry on comparing (but let's not fight, ok? ) :razz:

Jason McK
03-08-2012, 12:24 AM
I have 2 AIs running on my 120G. I have to say I've been really happy. I'm not currently doing SPS but I have to say my Ricordia colour has been restored since switching from T5.
I can't say I owned Radions as I didn't like the idea of the controllers in each unit. I think it was really smart of AI to have the controllers external and able to control 9 units.

There is no way for a picture posted on the internet to give anyone a realistic idea of light quality there are simply too many variables

J

subman
03-08-2012, 12:33 AM

so my big question is if they were the same price would you all have still picked sols?

MarkoD
03-08-2012, 12:50 AM
so my big question is if they were the same price would you all have still picked sols?

i'd but 2 sols over one radion for the same price

Aquattro
03-08-2012, 01:04 AM

I may pick the Radions over the SOLs if they were the same price, based solely on physical appearance. I do think the Radion is a nicer looking unit. I haven't seen an AI in person (well, I did but didn't know what I was looking at back then), but I have seen a Radion and I like the slick appearance.

However, I can't pay an extra $1000 for aesthetics :)

Sanjay's article gives value to the red for illuminating fish, so it may have some purpose afterall, but again, not $400/unit worth.

marie
03-08-2012, 01:07 AM
After reading all the numerous threads on the subject, I think I will buy the Radions when I can save up the money.
I have been searching for a light that won't make all the reds in my tank look like dried blood for the last 10 yrs (ever since I switched from vho to MH's) and have spent 100's of dollars trying different metal halide bulbs without success.
I think with the addition of the red and green bulbs, radions will finally achieve that

Aquattro
03-08-2012, 01:08 AM
Marie, I had thought about the reds earlier, and I think I can supplement red very easily for less money. I think. Ok, I made it up, but it seems sound :)

subman
03-08-2012, 01:14 AM
After reading all the numerous threads on the subject, I think I will buy the Radions when I can save up the money.
I have been searching for a light that won't make all the reds in my tank look like dried blood for the last 10 yrs (ever since I switched from vho to MH's) and have spent 100's of dollars trying different metal halide bulbs without success.
I think with the addition of the red and green bulbs, radions will finally achieve that

That was the deciding factor for me the green and red leds made all the colors pop. Im going with radions.

marie
03-08-2012, 01:14 AM
Marie, I had thought about the reds earlier, and I think I can supplement red very easily for less money. I think. Ok, I made it up, but it seems sound :)

You probably can but I'm not even going to try and attempt anything DIY........ I am the plug in play queen if it requires me to read an instruction book to put it together then I don't want it. That's why I like my BK skimmer it didn't even come with an instruction book :lol:

Aquattro
03-08-2012, 01:16 AM
You probably can but I'm not even going to try and attempt anything DIY........ I am the plug in play queen if it requires me to read an instruction book to put it together then I don't want it. That's why I like my BK skimmer it didn't even come with an instruction book :lol:

I'm not gonna DIY. I'll pay Garreth at ProReef :)

Aquattro
03-08-2012, 01:17 AM
That was the deciding factor for me the green and red leds made all the colors pop. Im going with radions.

Makes sense. Although, when I saw a AI tank, I didn't notice colors lacking..might have to look again.

marie
03-08-2012, 01:21 AM
Makes sense. Although, when I saw a AI tank, I didn't notice colors lacking..might have to look again.

When you do go look check the red coralline algae, that's what tends to look the worst under the wrong lights it looks like dried blood.

Aquattro
03-08-2012, 01:23 AM
When you do go look check the red coralline algae, that's what tends to look the worst under the wrong lights it looks like dried blood.

I don't think I have any red coralline :)

Coralgurl
03-08-2012, 02:24 AM
Marko, I'm not a photographer, took me a while to figure out my camera settings once I added the vertex illuminex on my smaller tank. If you could tell me what settings to use, I will take a pic of my set up tomorrow as they are now almost off for the night. I saw the ai's on Daves tank at concept and seeing ai's side by side I chose the radions as I liked the overall look and could see a huge difference in spread and the disco lighting uncle salty is speaking of. I felt I would have needed 4 ai's to the 3 radions. I'm also no expert in lighting spectrums so cant speak to this argument, I don't have any controllers or fancy equipment, therefore my layout costs for lights would have been fairly close. I only transferred everything this weekend so I can't speak to coral growth either, time will tell. Bottom line, everyone has a choice and those with specific lights will rave about how great theirs are. I'm sure a better product will follow these as the technology continues to improve and the ai's and radions will be surpassed by something greater, cheaper and cooler soon enough.

intarsiabox
03-08-2012, 02:31 AM

Yep, ModularLed has a red/green supplemental combo kit for cheap.

intarsiabox
03-08-2012, 02:40 AM

Lots of videos on Youtube with tanks running Ai's and Radions. None of them look any less or more colorful than the other. Seeing them in person is the only way to really decide, as what is aesthetically pleasing to one may not be to another. I've seen both set up in person and I can't really see much of a difference, they both make the tanks look great. Radion have more programming possibilities if that's your thing, the AI's are good if you just want the basics such as dusk/dawn ramping, intensity control and lunar simulation. I guess they both have lightening storms as well but that just gimmicky to me.

Aquattro
03-08-2012, 02:43 AM
Lots of videos on Youtube with tanks running Ai's and Radions. None of them look any less or more colorful than the other. Seeing them in person is the only way to really decide, as what is aesthetically pleasing to one may not be to another. I've seen both set up in person and I can't really see much of a difference, they both make the tanks look great. Radion have more programming possibilities if that's your thing, the AI's are good if you just want the basics such as dusk/dawn ramping, intensity control and lunar simulation. I guess they both have lightening storms as well but that just gimmicky to me.

Ya, that sums it up well. I don't need the toy factor, I just need light. If they can replicate the radium color AND keep SPS color, the AIs will do just fine.

sphelps
03-08-2012, 03:09 AM
They both have clouds too, the lightning is a joke but the cloud feature is pretty cool, well at least the profilux version is, not sure about other controllers.

I agree as always the fixtures are very similar, arguing which one is better is pointless, compare the actual usable power and you'll see why tanks look pretty much the same running either one, spread has been discussed and realistically not as issue as it can be adjusted either way. While the Radions have some more features out of the box the sol is half the price, hence why it's the more popular choice, doesn't mean it's better or worse.

Bblinks
03-08-2012, 06:30 PM
They both have clouds too, the lightning is a joke but the cloud feature is pretty cool, well at least the profilux version is, not sure about other controllers.

I agree as always the fixtures are very similar, arguing which one is better is pointless, compare the actual usable power and you'll see why tanks look pretty much the same running either one, spread has been discussed and realistically not as issue as it can be adjusted either way. While the Radions have some more features out of the box the sol is half the price, hence why it's the more popular choice, doesn't mean it's better or worse.

well put.

Bblinks
03-14-2012, 06:12 PM
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i331/bblinks/1d2023c4.jpg
PAR READING FROM MY AIS AT 100%

mark
03-14-2012, 06:18 PM
PAR READING FROM MY AIS AT 100%

do you have from your old lights for comparison?

cuz
03-14-2012, 07:01 PM
NICE!!!

I'm starting to lean more towards the AI's myself.
In every online post I've read the Radion owners are pretty defensive about their fixtures until a par meter comes out........ Then There's just awkward silence.....

Bblinks
03-14-2012, 07:02 PM
do you have from your old lights for comparison?

No I don't but I guess I can put the 250's back up and see whats it at. No promises though...:surprise:

Bblinks
03-14-2012, 07:13 PM
NICE!!!

In every online post I've read the Radion owners are pretty defensive about their fixtures until a par meter comes out........ Then There's just awkward silence.....

Par reading only really gives you a entire reading for the overall intensity of the light thats produced. AI does extremely well due to the lens. Really they are all the same LEDs.:redface: Radion has a better spectrum hands down, I am not gonna argue with anyone on that, but due to blending issues its just not possible to get lens on the led without getting red and green spot light effect. Anyways like I said I have seen great growth and coloration on most if not all my sps colonies under the intense light(keep in mind my sps are frags from others reefers who use mininum 250w if not 400w halides and aqua cultured which makes them pretty hungry for light)so the more par I get the better. I would recommand any to use AI's. I would also recommand Radions since it is a better light when you consider the spectrum that it covers but you will need the same if not more units to boost the intensity.

Reef Pilot
03-14-2012, 07:17 PM
NICE!!!

I have 3 Radions on my tank, and am happy with them. But have never seen AI's so am not going to say mine are better, that's for sure.

I only run mine at 40% peak in Natural mode, and programmed in some moonlight for the night time. But have no SPS, so Par is a moot point with me at this point. It sure brings out the color in my fish and corals, though.

The software is still a work in progress. Just loaded down the latest version, and more new options and capabilities all the time. It is still a bit flakey so you have to fiddle around a bit to get everything you want to work properly. But my "clouds" now work in the Natural mode. Saw it today for the first time. Everything just gradually dimmed, and then came back up after a few minutes,... pretty cool.

I think if you want to know more about Radions, you have to go over to Reef Central. Lots of info there. That's where I learn how to use mine.

You'll find your AI lovers over there, too. But at least there is more experience with Radions available. The Radion guys say Par is not the most important aspect of growing corals.

With my tank, Radions were the best choice. AI's wouldn't even work because of my canopy. So never did look too closely at them.

Reef Pilot
03-16-2012, 02:08 AM
Saw my first lightning storm today. Loading the new software and firmware versions finally got this feature working with the Natural mode.

I wasn't sure how the setting works, so had it at 30%, which is supposed to mean 30% chance of a lightning storm in the time period (day time in this case). I thought it might just flash once, but it went on for quite a few minutes (maybe 15 or 20, wasn't counting) with intermittent random flashes.

The fish reacted, too, and started swimming around, probably wondering what is going on. Even my CBB started hunting (usually doesn't do that until dusk) as the lights dimmed with the "cloud" cover. Definitely broke up the boredom for them.

Had my wife wondering too, as I didn't warn her about this feature. She thought something was blowing up. Anyway, it got everyone's attention. And have to say looked pretty cool. I like this feature. Should impress friends when they are over and see it....

How do the Sols work with this feature? Is it the same?