PDA

View Full Version : Would it make a difference???

doch
03-04-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm revamping my nutrient reduction system and wonder a few things. I was running full Zeo until my sump cracked and I had to grab some rubbermaid 'sumps' to get me by. I've since started with Prodibio, and have some new plans. I think that I'm going to go old school and run a fuge. I've also come up with a hair brained scheme, and am going to run a clam tank. I'll also be running a skimmer rated for a little more than the water volume that I'll be running, and GFO, and VSV and a mangrove tank.

Here comes the questions! What's the best route for water to take? Obviously the drain from the display will go to the sump. From there, I'm thinking skimmer>Clam tank>Mangrove tank>Fuge>sump. Would it make a difference to switch up the order.... or not so much?

Lampshade
03-04-2012, 10:00 AM
It depends on what you want the fuge for. If you're looking for pods for your tank, then running the fuge in parallel to the skimmer may help out more. If you just want the nutrient export then your setup would work great. It may be worth having a bypass on the fuge either way so that you don't have the full flow through there, 400-500gph is what is recommended on a few sites, obviously it'd depend on how big you plan on going.

Sounds pretty cool though, should be a nice setup.

fishytime
03-04-2012, 02:53 PM
I would put the skimmer last.....reason being, you want your clam tank, fuge and mangrove tanks benefiting from the "dirtiest" water possible.....then skim it and then back into the tank

doch
03-04-2012, 03:20 PM
I faintly want the fuge to help with pods that's why I put it last in the list.... So it will go straight to the sump, and out to the tank. As for your comment Doug, I'm not looking for the best benefit to the clams, fuge and mangrove tanks.... This is why I was thinking skimmer first, and then have the other tanks "polish" the water. In my head, this works the best, but my head is a little twisted sometimes! Keep the opinions coming guys, thanks!