PDA

View Full Version : Venomous fish question

JTrigger
03-05-2004, 12:20 AM
OK, this might be a stupid question, but for all you guys with foxfaces, lionfish, etc... do you exercise any specific care by wearing gloves or whatever when working in your tank? Just curious... I've always found these guys pretty interesting and attractive, but never considered them because of this issue.

JT

pluff
03-05-2004, 12:43 AM
JTRIGGER,

Good question,I was thinking the same thing.I just got a Foxface yesterday from JL. I was curious about the venom myself. Just from watching him hes very active,but hes always got his spikes up.Maybe he might be still timid from being in a new home with other fish? All i know is I don't want to be the first to get spiked :lol:

Cheers from the Maritimes :drinking:

Pluff

UnderWorldAquatics
03-05-2004, 01:15 AM
foxfaces hurt like hell, lionfish stings make you feel like you are in hell(burning hot pain, feels like your arm is on fire) if you get tagged in the fingers they swell and feel like they are going to explode while feeling like they are also on fire, all in all, not very fun, a large lion that tags you good will make your whole arm feel this way. Also I have a stone fish in one of my personal tanks, I excersise alot of caution around him, dont want to go to the hospital that bad, been there done that, convulsing is not any fun at all... :lol: Gloves wont do anything for you, keeping your distance is your best bet. A thick multi layered densly woven kevlar glove would probably do the trick, but you would have no mobility in the fingers probably, tongs are your best friend...

StirCrazy
03-05-2004, 02:11 AM
Kyle... wanna come catch my fox face for me :mrgreen:

Steve

EmilyB
03-05-2004, 02:58 AM
I never worried about my foxface or lionfish. It's not as if they are going to try and sting you. They will actually probably do anything to be as far away as possible if you are scaring them.

Care when netting.

UnderWorldAquatics
03-05-2004, 03:06 AM
:lol: funny guy Steve...

I got tagged by the foxface and the lionfish when I was unloading unmarked fish bags covered with black fish bags, they spiked me through the bags....
I am a little more careful now

MitchM
03-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Care when netting.

No kidding. When I was transferring one of my 2 foxfaces, (my original and an adopted one from Deb) it started flipping around in the net so I instinctively put my hand over to cover it..........

:rolleyes:

Yep. Hurts like hell. Gloves don't make a difference. Unfortunately my biggest net is only 6 1/2" and these guys are 7" each. Didn't realize how much they've grown.

Mitch