PDA

View Full Version : Fish suggestions

Nano
03-03-2012, 01:32 AM
So I'm trading my chromis tomorrow for coral. So that opens up room for a couple fish in my tank. Now I want to do this right, and get the best possible fish and the most colorful/beneficial to the tank. so any suggestions are more then welcome. Current stocking list includes
Scooter Blenny(Dragonet)
2 Ocellaris
4 Chromis(will be gone tomorrow)
1 Bangai Cardinal

So basically I am looking for one or 2 more fish to add. I will also be getting a new Cleaner shrimp if I can find one for less then $30 this time! Now that I dont have the stray voltage problem anymore, I am confident in keeping one alive.

No sand sifters please as my sand contains sharp shards in it, and if I keep the sand, I'd rather not harm the sifters. angels are a consideration, but I would love to hear what type and experiences with them in a reef if they are suggested. Again if you missed my build my tank is a 35g Cube 20g sump/refugium any other info needed let me know

Thanks as always guys:biggrin:

fishytime
03-03-2012, 01:41 AM
the only "beneficial" fish I can think of for a tank that size might be a smaller "actual" blenny (like a tailspot)......I love the gramma/basslet/assessor group of fish.....they are fairly mellow, extremely beautiful and stay relatively small

Proteus
03-03-2012, 01:46 AM
+1 on assessor

I have one great fish though if they get harassed they may become nocturnal

Nano
03-03-2012, 01:49 AM
the only "beneficial" fish I can think of for a tank that size might be a smaller "actual" blenny (like a tailspot)......I love the gramma/basslet/assessor group of fish.....they are fairly mellow, extremely beautiful and stay relatively small

but I heard 2 blennys in one tank is a bad mix, although my scooter is technically a dragonet and very sweet, I hand feed him mysis now!!!

fishytime
03-03-2012, 02:11 AM
but I heard 2 blennys in one tank is a bad mix, although my scooter is technically a dragonet and very sweet, I hand feed him mysis now!!!

well, I said "actual blenny" and as you pointed out a scooter "blenny" is actually a dragonet, not a blenny so I think you would be fine adding a "actual" blenny....look at the tailspot blenny, or barnacle blenny, great little fish with tonnes of personality and attitude.....I would stay away from the bigger blennies, like starries and lawnmowers as they can get to be about 5" or so...too large a fish for a 35g cube tank IMHO

Nano
03-03-2012, 02:19 AM
yea starrys and LM blennys dont appeal to me anyhow! lol. I dont have a clue what to get,(thats why I asked) I had a tailspot, but I acclimated him poorly. only fish I lost, unfortunate too cause he was a tough one to find.

reefgirl189
03-03-2012, 03:15 AM
Royal gramma?

They are so colorful and beautiful.

Nano
03-03-2012, 03:16 AM
are the damsels though? I thought I head they were aggressive?

fishytime
03-03-2012, 03:22 AM
damsels are the reincarnation of the antichrist:evil:.....I wouldnt put one in a tank that small....the whole tank would be his and everything else would be in his territory

Nano
03-03-2012, 03:28 AM
That's what I was thinking.

Proteus
03-03-2012, 03:31 AM
How bout a flasher wrasse. Reletivly small colorful and great to watch

Nano
03-03-2012, 03:33 AM
I'd love a wrasse but I feel I might get treated the same as some one who keeps a tang in a small tank. LOL. But a wrasse is a consideration

reefgirl189
03-03-2012, 03:39 AM
http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/royal_gramma.htm

Sorry I was going off of this, I thought they were rather peaceful fish.

It says they make good candidates for small reef tanks.

fishytime
03-03-2012, 05:03 AM
are the damsels though? I thought I head they were aggressive?

I may have misread this (for some strange reason:razz:)...... if you were asking if grammas are damsels?.....no they are not.....every gramma Ive had has been really well behaved...

noirsphynx
03-03-2012, 05:26 AM
A few that I like for smaller tanks:
Tailspot Benny, trimma gobies, green banded goby, clown goby, pygmy wrasse, maybe some blue eyed dart gobies.

strickrick
03-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Have you ever thought of a Cryptic Six-line Wrasse? They are the complete opposite in behaviour of an actual Sixline. Does great in small reef tanks too

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+2908&pcatid=2908

I'm also a fan favourite of the Gramma as long as there is nothing in there to pick on him he could be the show piece in the tank.

Aquaria
03-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Have you ever thought of a Cryptic Six-line Wrasse? They are the complete opposite in behaviour of an actual Sixline. Does great in small reef tanks too

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+2908&pcatid=2908

I'm also a fan favourite of the Gramma as long as there is nothing in there to pick on him he could be the show piece in the tank.

+1 iv wanted one for a while but I'm to scared to add him with my huge tiger pistol shrimp
The nice red pygmy wrasses are super hard to get though Iv asked a couple places to get a pygmy and they akways end up with the fugly yellow ones just to plain to be spending 40 bucks on

noirsphynx
03-03-2012, 09:46 PM
+1 iv wanted one for a while but I'm to scared to add him with my huge tiger pistol shrimp
The nice red pygmy wrasses are super hard to get though Iv asked a couple places to get a pygmy and they akways end up with the fugly yellow ones just to plain to be spending 40 bucks on

I agree, very rare but so cute if you find the one you want. Last night I picked up a white banded pygmy possum that I've had on request for a year. The store also had a Tanaka Pygmy Possum last week, not sure if it's still there though.

Proteus
03-03-2012, 11:07 PM
How bout fire fish

Bwa has 50% off

lockrookie
03-03-2012, 11:26 PM
you knnow you want a reef shark lol j/k my votes are
gramma
clown gobies
and a wrasse

Reefie
03-03-2012, 11:32 PM
There's only the TANG POLICE, there's no WRASSE POLICE yet. :wink:

I'd suggest a Flame Angel or a Coral Beauty

I'd love a wrasse but I feel I might get treated the same as some one who keeps a tang in a small tank. LOL. But a wrasse is a consideration

Nano
03-04-2012, 12:11 AM
lol thanks for all the suggestions guys, I bought a pygmy Cherub angel today, and am going to take a chance with him he was getting beat up by a flame angel so I felt bad. lol acclimating him now. we'll see how well behaved he is

Reefie
03-04-2012, 12:22 AM
*Sirens wailing!!!* The ANGEL POLICE is going to be knocking on your door soon! RUN & HIDE!!! Haha!

Nice choice, I've been contemplating the Cherub Angel as well, but I passed on it because I am going to get a Flame Angel.

Nano
03-04-2012, 12:35 AM
well I went to a few stores and talked to a few people asking them if they had any personal experience, they all leaned towards the cherubs over flames cause they are more successful apparently. we'll see, if I have any problems with him I'm sure there are lots of people who would have him in their fowlrs

Nano
08-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Bump. Scooter dragonet died today.. he was eating but losing weight. Ughhhh this is a bummer. Any suggestions for a nice little fish that doesn't need pods so much?

Proteus
08-21-2012, 12:24 AM
I'm contemplating a Pygmy wrasse. Nice small fish

Nano
08-21-2012, 12:32 AM
I've got a 6 line think they would fight? I'm pretty much in no hurry, as I want the tank to re-establish for a month or 2