PDA

View Full Version : sump design

rocksteveo
03-02-2012, 08:40 PM
currently in my sump it has 3 chambers, the left chamber has been blocked off and made into top off water. now id like to remove top off and convert it into more tank water and pack it with live rock, now my question is whats the best way to get water from my display to this chamber. im using herbie style drain at the moment, would moving my "e" drain over there to dump water in or would T"ing off return line be a better choice. thanks steve

sphelps
03-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Personally I think it all looks pretty damn good as is. The extra volume and rock will add little to no benefit, if you don't require the top off space why not use for water changes?

rocksteveo
03-02-2012, 10:05 PM
im still gonna need top off,im making another chamber to slide in the left side(approx 7gals), im not really wanting to add more rock for filtration but remove rock from display to open it up abit so the tanks isnt packed with rock(more room for fish to cruise around)

sphelps
03-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Well the easiest way to get water in the chamber is either to tee off your return or main Herbie drain. To avoid stealing flow from the return I'd probably go with the drain. A reducing tee installed some where before the gate valve running 1/2" line to the new chamber. 1/2" ball valve for control and you're done. You'll have set the chamber flow rate first with the ball valve then adjust the gate valve after. I can't tell if any mods are needed to get water out of the chamber or if it will just overflow into the rest of the sump as is.

rocksteveo
03-02-2012, 11:17 PM
thats perfect thanks alot

e46er
03-02-2012, 11:44 PM
That is the cleanest sump ive ever seen