PDA

View Full Version : is this reefsafe???

reefwars
03-02-2012, 03:25 PM
:P

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/313400_10150376457059446_593309445_8171410_1202107 701_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/391294_10150376450314446_593309445_8171378_8751682 48_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/388115_10150376446154446_593309445_8171342_1832878 925_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/315015_10150376445034446_593309445_8171329_2914392 29_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/318319_10150376443299446_593309445_8171316_1090741 556_n.jpg

im thinking maybe not just coral safe??:)

Aquattro
03-02-2012, 03:32 PM
No, it will eat the cat.

cuz
03-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Crazy!! Those are some sweet pics!!!!

Borderjumper
03-02-2012, 03:33 PM
I hear they are very selective on what they go after, so add at your own risk.

Flash
03-02-2012, 03:48 PM
where's your pup???

globaldesigns
03-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Wow, too cool. Never seen an eel like that one. :lol:

Nano
03-02-2012, 04:05 PM
I think on liveaquaria it says, "reef safe with caution" :lol:

Coleus
03-02-2012, 04:26 PM
no, the real question is "is it human safe"?

noirsphynx
03-02-2012, 04:30 PM
where's your pup???

+1, share pics of Tank :biggrin:

muck
03-02-2012, 04:36 PM
*makes mental note.... do not go to Denny's place.*

Skimmerking
03-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Denny what in the world are you doing with a snake on your tank.:lol:

reefwars
03-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Haha tanks doing great we start weight pulling next week he's still cute as hell

We actually have 3 Boas around 8ft this one decided he liked the fish then went for a swim in the tank then settled on theoverflow............when he sits there and stares at you would you wanna move him LOL I didn't :p

Casey8
03-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Denny, you were helping me a lot, so here is my turn to help you this time.
NO, IT IS NOT A REEF SAFE ! :mrgreen:

Lance
03-02-2012, 04:58 PM
im thinking maybe not just coral safe??:)

Don't be too sure about that. Not positive but that could be a zoa constrictor.

daniella3d
03-02-2012, 05:09 PM
The real question is who would let his or her boa go into an aquarium and not try to remove it but take pics instead...Why would you do such thing?

I guess the boa was looking for something warm, in that case the light.

Aquattro
03-02-2012, 05:12 PM
no, the real question is "is it human safe"?

Of course it's human safe. It's just a boa

Aquattro
03-02-2012, 05:12 PM
The real question is who would let his or her boa go into an aquarium and not try to remove it but take pics instead...Why would you do such thing?

I would! As long as the MH weren't on :)

Zoaelite
03-02-2012, 05:25 PM

I guess the boa was looking for something warm, in that case the light.

I dont see why this is a problem? Beautiful snake Denny!

philg3
03-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Don't be too sure about that. Not positive but that could be a zoa constrictor.

win

MarkoD
03-02-2012, 06:46 PM
No, it will eat the cat.

I hear they're just as bad as ich

doch
03-02-2012, 07:00 PM
These pics make me miss mine!! Boas are so gentle... I used to lay on the couch and watch movies for hours with my Suriname Red Tail wrapped all along the length of me 'cuddling'. (she was just using me for the warmth though). I miss her.

reefwars
03-02-2012, 07:16 PM
This type of boa is harmless and he actually likes the water he has a pond downstairs I was wirriedabout the salt but its my roommates snakes and he didn't mind it going for a swim.the boa was not harmed I promise. This pic was taken about 3mths agoso no ill effecrts on tank either.

This boa named Joey rides around on my dog and we've had the snakesaround children and even at the malls he's very harmless

reefwars
03-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Bahahaha zoa constricter nice LOL :):)

reefwars
03-02-2012, 07:19 PM
I should also mention I never forced the boa in he done it all on his own as he enjoys warm water:):)

reefwars
03-02-2012, 07:22 PM
These pics make me miss mine!! Boas are so gentle... I used to lay on the couch and watch movies for hours with my Suriname Red Tail wrapped all along the length of me 'cuddling'. (she was just using me for the warmth though). I miss her.

They are great Pet I've always had a fear of snakes but they've grown me with how timid and friendly they are lots of personality and beautiful:)

We have 3 around 8ft and a 3ft king snake

We also have beardies too:):)

doch
03-02-2012, 07:28 PM
They are great Pet I've always had a fear of snakes but they've grown me with how timid and friendly they are lots of personality and beautiful:)

Nice! For fear of labelling myself as a freak, I won't give all the detail, but let's just say that I used to be into reptiles big time!! My wife has vitoed the idea of getting anything else though.... damnit.

daniella3d
03-02-2012, 10:07 PM
That's a good way to get over one's fear. I was afraid of spider and got myself a nice big mexican red knee tarentula. Was afraid at first but at the end the spider was sleeping on my neck. Never been afraid of spiders since.

I also had boas but mine were not as big.

daniella3d
03-02-2012, 10:09 PM
well, such big snake is powerfull, and it could crack the tank if he squeeze in the right way. Also it maybe T5 but it can become really hot. I burn my hand touching a t5 tube that was on for a while and it was a pretty bad burn. So many things can go wrong, I would not take the risk of letting that happen.

Aquattro
03-02-2012, 10:11 PM
well, such big snake is powerfull, and it could crack the tank if he squeeze in the right way. Also it maybe T5 but it can become really hot. I burn my hand touching a t5 tube that was on for a while and it was a pretty bad burn. So many things can go wrong, I would not take the risk of letting that happen.

The snake could not, in a million years, crack the tank :)

reefwars
03-02-2012, 10:18 PM
im not sure if he would have the power or not i mean they are very very strong, but the snake wouldnt break it unless he was scared and he wasnt he was in complete control , took a bit of time for him to come off the back he was quite comfortable lol he has only done this once so i snapped some pics as i didnt place him there he went up the tank himself agfter eyeing the fish and then went in the water and right to the back of the tank.he stayed there while i coaxed him out as my fear was he would grip onto the center brace and not want to let go:)

Aquattro
03-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Trust me, he can't break the tank. That's just silly. constrictors simply suffocate their prey by squeezing harder when the prey exhales, preventing it from taking another breath.

Coralgurl
03-02-2012, 11:26 PM
My stepson just got a ball python and while I'll admit it's beautiful, I haven't been able to get too close yet. He carries it around everywhere but I am not showing him this thread bec he will want to see if his snake would do the same thing! :sad: Very cool pics!!

reefwars
03-03-2012, 02:09 AM
My stepson just got a ball python and while I'll admit it's beautiful, I haven't been able to get too close yet. He carries it around everywhere but I am not showing him this thread bec he will want to see if his snake would do the same thing! :sad: Very cool pics!!

i was the same way at first lol :P

daniella3d
03-03-2012, 02:24 AM
yeah sure, what ever. My friend got her finger broken from a simple baby snake holding on too tight. I can only imagine how strong such big snake is. They not only suffocate their preys, they can hold on with a very strong grip if they feel scared or they don't want to be moved from one spot.

Do you have snakes?

Trust me, he can't break the tank. That's just silly. constrictors simply suffocate their prey by squeezing harder when the prey exhales, preventing it from taking another breath.

Coasting
03-03-2012, 02:27 AM
Gentle Giants ;)
They just wanna give you a big kiss, thats all!

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Snake/IMG_1496.jpg

Aquattro
03-03-2012, 03:55 AM
yeah sure, what ever. My friend got her finger broken from a simple baby snake holding on too tight.
Do you have snakes?

Your friend is full of crap.
I do not currently have snakes. I have owned dozens of boas and pythons, I worked for a biology department with 2 14 foot carpet pythons, and I've personally held one end of a 26 foot reticulate python. I've handled all of them, and anytime they squeeze, you simply unravel them. The thought of them crushing or breaking anything is the most ridiculous statement ever. You clearly know absolutely nothing about snakes. Whatever back. pfft.

FragIt Dan
03-03-2012, 04:08 AM
yeah sure, what ever. My friend got her finger broken from a simple baby snake holding on too tight. I can only imagine how strong such big snake is. They not only suffocate their preys, they can hold on with a very strong grip if they feel scared or they don't want to be moved from one spot.

Do you have snakes?

??? With the tens of thousands of boas kept in small to medium sized aquariums in homes and shops all over the world, why would it even cross your mind that a large tank with much thicker, stronger glass would be even the slightest concern?

FragIt Dan

Kimmi7
03-03-2012, 04:19 AM

Do you have snakes?

They can't break the glass at all. Even striking the glass they don't. I had a 12.5 Burmese python, who would go after anything when he was in his tank, including myself. Hell my friend had a 16 foot retic who didn't break tanks.

Only thing I would worry about is him after a good feed. I used to put my guy in warm water a couple days after a good feed as it was easier to clean after.

Is the a red tail? Very nice looking

reefwars
03-03-2012, 05:27 PM
They can't break the glass at all. Even striking the glass they don't. I had a 12.5 Burmese python, who would go after anything when he was in his tank, including myself. Hell my friend had a 16 foot retic who didn't break tanks.

Only thing I would worry about is him after a good feed. I used to put my guy in warm water a couple days after a good feed as it was easier to clean after.

Is the a red tail? Very nice looking

yes it is a red tail, very friendly.

heres a pic of our smallets boa doing his thing with tonka aka tank:P

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/013-4.jpg?t=1330799640

Aquattro
03-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Oh god!!!!! He's gonna eat the dog!!!! Ahhhhhhhh!!!! Or not.

Kimmi7
03-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Lol. Nice looking pup, looks pit or maybe a dogo.

sphelps
03-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Haha Tank is badass.

Looks like a ball python, I had one of those

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/sphelps/DSC_0243.jpg

kole
03-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Lol The dog doesn't look to happy to be wearing the snake.

reefwars
03-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Lol The dog doesn't look to happy to be wearing the snake.

whenever i make tank sit and pose for the camera he puts on a sad look lol :)

daniella3d
03-04-2012, 12:30 AM
My friend is not full of crap, sir. you have no clue what you are talking about. We were about 14 and she was holding the snake and he squeezed her hand and we heard a crack sound and had to go to the hospital. She had to wear a device for a month and half until her broken bone healed. That was just a 2 feet snake! I had snakes for many years but even though they were never larger than 3 feet they could sqeeze very hard.

Your friend is full of crap.
I do not currently have snakes. I have owned dozens of boas and pythons, I worked for a biology department with 2 14 foot carpet pythons, and I've personally held one end of a 26 foot reticulate python. I've handled all of them, and anytime they squeeze, you simply unravel them. The thought of them crushing or breaking anything is the most ridiculous statement ever. You clearly know absolutely nothing about snakes. Whatever back. pfft.

Coasting
03-04-2012, 12:50 AM
Thats totally a ball python around the dog ;)

Well you friend must have had really f'd up fingers then. A 2 foot long snake cant break bones like that, for a snake to have the strength to break a bone like a finger it would have to be well over 2" thick and theres no way a snake that thick could easily wrap around a single finger. They RARELY even break the rib bones on the prey they eat. Unless they did something stupid like wack their finger against a table because they had a temper tantrun about a snake (sounds plasuable from they way you're talking). Snakes dont kill their prey be breaking bones, they just prevent the prey from being able to inhale. They dont break bones. Common sense?

daniella3d
03-04-2012, 01:00 AM
NO idea if she had fragile bones or what, but I don't think so. She was just a kid. I don't think she got a broken bone after that and she's now near 30.

Maybe it was the way the snake held her hand, the position of her fingers, not sure. Anyway the crack was pretty loud and scary when you're 14 year old.

That was my pet snake and I had to bring the snake back to the pet store and give it back for free :( I was not allowed to keep a snake after that until I was much older and indenpendant.

Anyway that always left me with the impression that larger snakes would have great pressure enough to crush something.

Thats totally a ball python around the dog ;)

Well you friend must have had really f'd up fingers then. A 2 foot long snake cant break bones like that, for a snake to have the strength to break a bone like a finger it would have to be well over 2" thick and theres no way a snake that thick could easily wrap around a single finger. They RARELY even break the rib bones on the prey they eat. Unless they did something stupid like wack their finger against a table because they had a temper tantrun about a snake (sounds plasuable from they way you're talking). Snakes dont kill their prey be breaking bones, they just prevent the prey from being able to inhale. They dont break bones. Common sense?

fishoholic
03-04-2012, 01:10 AM
Oh god!!!!! He's gonna eat the dog!!!! Ahhhhhhhh!!!! Or not.

:pound:

Although I admit I would not feel comfortable putting a snake around my dogs neck. Ironically though I've held a five foot python around my own neck and shoulders and my only thought was darn he's heavy!

Aquattro
03-04-2012, 01:51 AM
My friend is not full of crap, sir. you have no clue what you are talking about. .

Ya, ok. I've held snakes from 1 foot to 26 feet(at well over 200 pounds), all of them squeezed, and I just started at one end an unraveled them. No broken bones. I fed mice to 3 foot snakes, and no broken mouse bones snapping. So unless your friend has bones finer than mice, the snake did not break anything. I think sometimes we remember things from when we were 14 a bit different sometimes than the way they really happened. I'm not gonna argue about it, it didn't happen. go find a Herpetology forum and post the scenario, see what kind of answers you get.

paddyob
03-04-2012, 01:59 AM

Well the problem I see is that the snake is moving all over the floor, its enclosure and what have you. Potentially bringing carpet cleaners or other detergents from your home surfaces, into your tank.

Funny as hell, but I would move him.

paddyob
03-04-2012, 02:04 AM
yes it is a red tail, very friendly.

heres a pic of our smallets boa doing his thing with tonka aka tank:P

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad85/reefwars/013-4.jpg?t=1330799640

I am not a big fan of pitbulls.... but this is a super cute picture. You can tell by his ears he is unsure of what the hell to think.... I would not try it with the 8' boa.... might be lunch.

Cute though.

Tracey2
03-04-2012, 02:13 AM
Reefwars, I hope you understand that tonka is counting on you as pack leader to protect him.

reefwars
03-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Reefwars, I hope you understand that tonka is counting on you as pack leader to protect him.

why wouldnt he???

daniella3d
03-04-2012, 05:38 PM
LOL! how can I remember something different when we went to the hospital, she had an X ray, showed a broken bone and then a splinter :)

YOu're funny :) I guess the bone broke on its own and the snake had nothing to do..probably it's the dense air around that broke it and we all imagined going at the hospital.

I don't care what any body will tell, that's simply what hapened. People once thought that the Earth was flat and you could get killed by pretending the contrary.

Cute picture of the dog!

I think sometimes we remember things from when we were 14 a bit different sometimes than the way they really happened. I'm not gonna argue about it, it didn't happen. go find a Herpetology forum and post the scenario, see what kind of answers you get.

Kimmi7
03-04-2012, 05:55 PM

Why wouldnt he think he isn't being protected? It's just a freaking 2 foot long snake?? Hell take a better look at the pic, can't u see there is someone behind him?
Most dogs don't let people put other animals on them without having trust. It also goes for dogs letting kids "ride" them. My lab pit x has the same look most of the time, unless there's food out lol. All I have to say is nice looking dog, nice looking snakes. But all this thread has turned into is fighting about "oh the snake this, the snake that" or oh that poor dog. Grow up people, everyone is different, reefwars was just showing a couple cute pictures. Get over it.

reefwars
03-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Why wouldnt he think he isn't being protected? It's just a freaking 2 foot long snake?? Hell take a better look at the pic, can't u see there is someone behind him?
Most dogs don't let people put other animals on them without having trust. It also goes for dogs letting kids "ride" them. My lab pit x has the same look most of the time, unless there's food out lol. All I have to say is nice looking dog, nice looking snakes. But all this thread has turned into is fighting about "oh the snake this, the snake that" or oh that poor dog. Grow up people, everyone is different, reefwars was just showing a couple cute pictures. Get over it.

its true ,tonka is trained very well and he reacts very well to new animals be it a dog or a snake or a bird he has complete trust in me. as anyone can see in the picture clarence is behind on the incase that something was to go wrong even though the chances are very slim.

the snakes dont see dog as food so unless the dog was playing with mice it wont bite same as with a human.

if for some reason tonka was to tense up or panic and the snake did constrict its actually very easy to get him off by simply untieing him from the tail.they release easily when coached from the back

trust me guys no harm came to tonka or the snake and they were both watched very closely, they are never left alone and always monitored.

noirsphynx
03-05-2012, 02:29 AM

+1 agreed!

FragIt Dan
03-05-2012, 02:36 AM
Grow up people, everyone is different, reefwars was just showing a couple cute pictures. Get over it.

+2

FragIt Dan