PDA

View Full Version : Need a new pump, which one?

jboy929
03-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Hi everyone,

I have realized that my old model of the quietone pump has a flaw which makes it overheat quite easily. I need a new pump and the Iwaki, the new version of the quiet one, and the mag have all been suggested. I need around 800gph at 4'HH for my 90 gallon tank, and a fairly small footprint as space under my tank is at a premium.

I'm a bit confused as why the Iwaki runs around $300.00, while the similar new version of the quiteone is only $149.00.

Anyway, I just want the best, most reliable pump. Any comments?
Thanks
J

UnderWorldAquatics
03-04-2004, 06:36 PM
as long as you keep the iwaki pump dry, it will last for a min of 10 years usually, I dont think the quiet one pumps have anything close to the same reliability, I suggest going with the japanese motor iwaki too, mags are decent and cheap, but far from the most reliable

Snoop Dog
03-04-2004, 09:40 PM
I have had a Mag 12 for 5 years now and have yet to clean, nor have one problem with it. I also recentley purchased a T4 for a closed loop. Very quiet, but it does run hot. On my 90 it added 3 degrees!

ldzielak
03-04-2004, 11:09 PM
If you look at the impeller on an Iwaki, you will see the reason they put out true flow and pressure that nothing else can even touch.

Lee

Ken
03-05-2004, 02:06 AM
I have been using Iwaki for years, including little giants. The Iwaki are very good quality pumps, japanese version. You pay for what you get.The selection of a main pump for your aquarium is the most important thing you'll decide on for reliability. Having said that, I also use an older model Quiet One on a client's tank that has been problem free for 6 years,ocassionally I have to clean out the impeller after a maintainence to get it going again. But that is just normal maintainence.

ldzielak
03-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Ken,

Called you last night, I just got a new house, wanted to run some ideas by you and maybe talk to your eng. friend. I should be home t'ill Wednesday next week.

Lee