PDA

View Full Version : Clam lighting

blacknife
03-01-2012, 06:18 PM
With all these clam orders comming in I am tempted to try some clams. Would they do ok under six bulb t5, 21" deep tank, or more suited to 20g with 250w mh?

mr_alberta
03-01-2012, 06:25 PM
I think under your T5's at 21" deep you could probably keep any type of clam. It depends a lot on placement of course. Maximas and Croceas closer to the light, Derasa, Squamosa and Hippopus farther away.

sphelps
03-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Both tanks seem fine for lighting so go with whatever tank is more stable and has better upkeep. Croceas are pretty easy to care for and the most common plus they won't grow too quickly, I'd start with one of those.

blacknife
03-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Both tanks are tied together. The twenty just holds fish and corals that don't play well in the other tank. survey says...

Find a purty clam and hope for the best.

daniella3d
03-01-2012, 08:30 PM
It also depend on what type of bulb you have and the age of those bulb.

For exemple if half of these are actinic, then you only have 3 bulb that produce decent PAR. For clams I think you would need to have at least 4 bulb that produce a good PAR, maybe more.

blacknife
03-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Four blue two pink. All but one pink are lessthan a month old. Bought two aquablues but prefer the pink. The smaller tank is 20k xm. I would love two anitics as well but I think Santa might bring my corals some leds this year. my drab sps corals that are on the bottom are still growing down there.

kies1
03-02-2012, 11:54 PM
I have a crocea under 4 t5 high outputs in my 35 gallon. Close to the bottom of the tank. It is doing just fine. Bulbs are 2 kZ super blues, one ati purple plus, and one aqua science duo.

fishytime
03-03-2012, 12:00 AM
I would think you would be fine for lighting in either tank......how old the system is and what is your fish list is in each tank should be your only concerns.....

fishytime
03-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Maximas and Croceas closer to the light, Derasa, Squamosa and Hippopus farther away.

thats actually a bit of a misnomer ....... derasa, squamosa, and hippos do better in the sand than on the rock so it seems as though they do better farther away from the light.....in the wild they are actually found shallower then croceas and maximas, so in theory they should do fine with more light....they are also a lot more tolerant of water quality.....they make great "first clams"....the only drawback of derasas and squams is they get huge.....