PDA

View Full Version : Group seahorse order

EmilyB
03-04-2004, 03:26 AM
Any interest in doing a group order from seanic.ca ?

TANGOMAN
03-04-2004, 07:10 PM
yup... :cool:

EmilyB
03-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Last call - we will be placing an order soon. :mrgreen: Please pm me for details.

AJ_77
03-16-2004, 07:01 PM
whatcha gettin?

EmilyB
03-16-2004, 07:49 PM
whatcha gettin?

A couple barbouri for me I reckon. :mrgreen:

TANGOMAN
03-16-2004, 09:34 PM
Seahorses... :rolleyes:
:lol:

Beverly
03-17-2004, 12:59 PM
Seahorses... :rolleyes:

Doug,

I hope you are kidding when you say you're ordering "seahorses" from Seanic. Aaron typically stocks three species, all of which have different temp requirements ranging from tropical to subtropical to temperate (requiring a chiller).

The barbouri that Deb are ordering are tropical, temp range 75-79F. I have whitei from Aaron that are subtropical, temp range 72-77F, and I have an air conditioner in the SH room to keep tank temps at a max of 76F. The abdominalis are temperate, temp range 67-72F, best kept at low to mid part of the range either in a cool basement or with a chiller.

I'm sure the questioner meant which species are you ordering?

TANGOMAN
03-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Bev, yes, I was just pokin' some fun. I may seem to be reckless by comments I make make but providing good care for the lives I have assumed responsibility for is something I take very seriously.
I do appreciate your concern however as raising Seahorses is a new venture for me and I had certainly been planning on relying on your experiences for guidance as required. :cool:

AJ_77
03-17-2004, 02:14 PM
As far as temps: How adaptable are these animals to slight variations? if the range is 75-79, is 80 going to be a problem (are they that senstitive)?

Just wondering...

Beverly
03-17-2004, 04:09 PM
Alan,

At higher temps than recommended, they become stressed, especially since it is recommended that a SH tank have significantly less water movement than a reef. Less water movement equals less O2 in the water, so there's that problem to contend with too when temps are higher than recommended. With stress, they are more susceptible to infection and disease, such as popeye for instance.

Remember, temps in SHs' natural habitats are fairly stable as they are often found just offshore in, well, this is the wrong term, but in reedy areas where there are plenty of places for pods to reproduce. And of course, different species come from different geographical locations, each with their own temp ranges. However, the three main temp classifications are tropical, subtropical and temperate. Some temperate SHs have a low temp range as cool as 62F.

Overall, though, I don't mess with going to the high end of the recommended temp range. I start to freak a bit when tank temps in summer reach 76F for our whitei (temp range 72-77F) and the air conditioner goes on ASAP. In summer, I keep a constant supply of SW ice cubes in a sealed container in case of temps occasionally going to 76-77F. I add enough ice to cool the tank a degree or two, then the AC does the rest.

Doug,

Please don't look to me as a source of information on raising fry. I did it poorly. Plus, rearing food to feed the fry and keeping fry bowls clean and ammonia free takes up almost your whole life :eek: Only if you have lots of time, dedication, space and money is rearing fry a worthwhile venture.

EmilyB
03-17-2004, 06:58 PM
We just razz each other a lot.

They don't have any barbouri I guess, so I'm horseless for now.

The pipefish I have has the same temperature requirements. I'd really like to get an alligator pipefish for the horses to ride.