PDA

View Full Version : lighting questions

rocksteveo
03-01-2012, 03:49 PM
I have 2x reef capable led lights over my tank now, and i really like the look(shimmer effect) and was wondering if i add 2x t5 bulbs, antinic and white 10000k to accomedate sps corals ,would this wash out my shimmer affect? and would this be enough to grow more sps? any help would be great, thanks

daniella3d
03-01-2012, 08:31 PM
I don't think so, because LED are stronger than T5HO. It could dim the shimmer a little but not that much. When I light up my t5ho in my MH fixture, it bearely make any difference.

George
03-01-2012, 08:46 PM
I don't think so, because LED are stronger than T5HO. It could dim the shimmer a little but not that much.

Not LED lights are created equal. I have seen a lot of "junk" LED lights.

When I light up my t5ho in my MH fixture, it bearely make any difference.

What MH bulb and how many you have in the fixture? What T5 and how many you add to your fixture?
When I added one ATI purple plus and one ATI blue plus to my 2xXM SE 10KK 250W, I noticed a different. SE XM 10KK bulbs have almost the highest par in all 250W bulbs.

ReefOcean
03-02-2012, 01:18 AM
I have 2x reef capable led lights over my tank now, and i really like the look(shimmer effect) and was wondering if i add 2x t5 bulbs, antinic and white 10000k to accomedate sps corals ,would this wash out my shimmer affect?

No

and would this be enough to grow more sps? any help would be great, thanks

Grow more SPS? You just need enough light to grown any SPS. People use antinic lighting with halide/LED mainly for consmetic/ supplimental lighting.

If your LEDs aren't stong enough to keep SPS ( which I am pretty sure they are unless they are LEDs from TV remote controllers) then adding T5s will not help you grow any...unless you add maybe 4 and then your system will be T5 with supplimental LED lighting :lol:

Might I suggest ATI superblue or some pink T5 for colour popping? I am assuming your LEDs alread have enough blue to do the job. Most do.

rocksteveo
03-02-2012, 01:36 AM
No

Grow more SPS? You just need enough light to grown any SPS. People use antinic lighting with halide/LED mainly for consmetic/ supplimental lighting.

If your LEDs aren't stong enough to keep SPS ( which I am pretty sure they are unless they are LEDs from TV remote controllers) then adding T5s will not help you grow any...unless you add maybe 4 and then your system will be T5 with supplimental LED lighting :lol:

Might I suggest ATI superblue or some pink T5 for colour popping? I am assuming your LEDs alread have enough blue to do the job. Most do.
awesome thanks for the advice

ReefOcean
03-02-2012, 02:33 AM
awesome thanks for the advice

No prob:biggrin: