PDA

View Full Version : Q Feeding lion fish

dragonets1
03-01-2012, 01:42 AM
HI I am looking for advice on feeding my Lion fish.Its about 3in long i was told to feed him frozen krill but he has not eaten for 3 days so i bought him some live 1in minnows and he took 1 right away. Should i keep feeding him live minnows? And how often should i feed him. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks Carl :razz:

subman
03-01-2012, 01:53 AM
what kind of lion?
what was the store feeding it?
I wouldn't feed it freshwater fish it is an unhealthy food source for marine fish.
My lion didn't eat for around a week when I got him but once he started eating he would eat anything

sphelps
03-01-2012, 02:13 AM
The live freshwater fish are fine to ween it onto frozen. Ghost shrimp is my preference but not always as easy to come by. Get yourself some forceps and grab a live fish with them and then attempt feeding the lion from the forceps, soon it will recognize the forceps as the food source and you'll be able to switch over the frozen. You should also get some frozen silver-sides as sometimes they work better than krill for the transition.

subman
03-01-2012, 02:38 AM
I used squid rings that were cut to be a long strip and wiggled with forceps to attract its attention.
I agree freshwater fish are better than nothing and are even ok as the occasional treat, just not its regular food source.

bkelly
03-01-2012, 03:23 AM
How often do you guys feed your lion fish?

Mandosh
03-01-2012, 04:55 AM
Everything Sphelps mentioned is excellent advice.

I've found the best way to wean them onto frozen is to starve them for a couple of days, then try silversides. You can also try a clear acrylic feeding rod instead of the forceps. I have had better luck with these and they will usually only run you about $3. Forceps are less of a hassle once you get him eating regularly though.

How often do you guys feed your lion fish?

~3 times a week for me. He ate mysis with the rest of the fish daily though.

dragonets1
03-01-2012, 10:35 AM
what kind of lion?
what was the store feeding it?
I wouldn't feed it freshwater fish it is an unhealthy food source for marine fish.
My lion didn't eat for around a week when I got him but once he started eating he would eat anything

I bought him from big als in Calgary it is a volatile Lion fish and they said he was eating krill

dragonets1
03-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Thank you all for your advice i will give your suggestions a try. I very much appreciate all your advice Thanks again Carl

noirsphynx
03-01-2012, 03:09 PM
I don't have a lion fish but I do enjoy following a thread on another forum. The member has also made a website that may be of some help.
http://www.lionfishlair.com/careguides/lionfish.shtml

dragonets1
03-01-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't have a lion fish but I do enjoy following a thread on another forum. The member has also made a website that may be of some help.
http://www.lionfishlair.com/careguides/lionfish.shtml
WOW Thanks for the link that was very thoughtful of you. Every one here has been very helpful. Many thank yous to you all. Carl :lol: