PDA

View Full Version : What is normal growth rate?

robbyville
03-04-2004, 02:31 AM
Hi all,

I have seen some beautiful progression photos of people's tanks and corals. At the same time my corals do not seem to be really growing at all!

As an example I have a small 1-1.5 inch SPS frag, bright green I believe it's a digitata of some type bought at J&L's probably around 3-4 months ago. The polyps are always extended and the frag seems to have grown in breadth a tiny bit but no growth over the disc, or upwards movement, etc.

Calcium in the tank is generally around 420-440. As some might remember I am currently having some phosphate issues of around .25 which I am told can stunt coral growth.

My main issue, is that I want to see some growth and I would have imagined that 4 months would be plenty to see a difference. Am I simply being impatient?

Rob

Jack
03-04-2004, 03:12 AM
What's your alk at? A steady and high alkalinity helps out.

Growth varies from system to system and from coral to coral. Digitata should grow quite quickly. SPS tend to encrust before they really start to take off.

robbyville
03-04-2004, 11:31 PM
Thanks Jack,

I have had problems with low Alk, and need to dedicate myself a little more to the overall stability of the system. It just seems strange to me that the stock appears to be faring well, but has absolutely no apparent growth.

Rob

Delphinus
03-05-2004, 04:22 AM
To me there are three things to look out for when you suspect growth is sub-par:

1) low alkalinity
2) nitrates and/or phosphates present
3) presence of competing species that participate in allelopathic inhibition. Macro algaes (e.g., caulerpa) and soft corals would be suspect.

EmilyB
03-05-2004, 06:15 AM
not applicable in most cases.

4) moo cropping. :mrgreen:

robbyville
03-06-2004, 12:42 AM
Thanks guys,

Tony, lucky for me I have all three of the specific issues you bring up! MY SPS frags are right next to a few soft corals who have been in the system for over a year and are healthy.

Back to basics I suppose!

Emily no MOO cropping here, I don't even think my tank could handle a "Moo" :lol:

Rob