PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!Dying live rock

fallingmonkeys
02-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Can Anybody help me have no idea why this happend?

All my live rock is dying can anybody tell me what i can do to help it.
i have a nasty smell coming from my tank as well..

all my corals are alive tho and doing well it dont make sence

mark
02-29-2012, 12:44 AM
is it new LR?

fallingmonkeys
02-29-2012, 12:48 AM
its been in my tank about 3 months..
everything was doing really really good.
we added a start up kit when we first started the tank did a water change about a week ago and only changed 10 gallons of water in a 90 gallon tank, now there is a fowel smell coming from the tank and all the rock is turning brown.. any idea on how i can correct this problem

Ginu
02-29-2012, 12:55 AM
What are your water parameters? It sounds as if your tank is going through a cycle stage after three months which is odd... Whats the tank temp at also? Are you dosing with anything?

Gotta give more details.

philg3
02-29-2012, 12:55 AM
I dont think your live rock is "Dying". If you have only done a single 10 gallon water change in a 90 gallon tank the water is probably pretty foul from fish waste etc, and could do with a large water change or 2.

As for the browning rocks, probably an algae outbreak. Water changes should help this too.

fallingmonkeys
02-29-2012, 01:03 AM
The rock looks like a black sponge it just looks gross. We went to 3 diffrent fish stores and was told our live rock maybe dying. The nitrate level are a bit high in the tank as well there were only 3fish in the tank at the time we did our water change there are now 4 fish in the tank u think another water chamge will help

fallingmonkeys
02-29-2012, 01:05 AM
We give the tank coral food and purple up. All the pruple is dispearing of the rock as wel. The only coralying is our star polyp the rest are doing fine stil.

Aquattro
02-29-2012, 01:13 AM
Moved out of the for sale ads :)

Arok3000
02-29-2012, 02:11 AM
Wait a second.

Did you say you did a water change, and now you have an extra fish in there?

I keep doing water changes!

ScubaSteve
02-29-2012, 02:33 AM
Can you describe the smell? Does it smell like low tide? Rotten eggs? Musky/wet dog smell?

fallingmonkeys
02-29-2012, 05:23 AM
Lol. no after our water change we added another fish.

-Scuba steve
the tank smells like a very nasty musky smell. sometimes its got a really bad rotten egg smell.. we put carbon in the tank to hopefully help get rid of the smell or at least make it go away a little bit.

we were thinking of buying 5 gallon jugs of water from store and doing another 15 gallon water change to see if maybe that will help.

The Guy
02-29-2012, 06:47 AM
I'm a newbie with a 48 gallon tank and have 46 lbs. of LR from a friends tank and was told to do a 50% water change after running it for 2weeks which I did. My parameters are good and am still getting some browning on the rocks, & crushed coral, my experienced friends say this will only happen until the tank is more established. I have a couple of snails and about 10 hermit crabs and I'm about to put 1 maybe 2 fish in soon. So it sounds like 10 to 20 gallon water change is a drop in the bucket with a 90 gallon tank. I'm going to do a 5 gallon wc weekly from now on.

spit.fire
03-01-2012, 01:41 AM
Ugh water changes are so much work