PDA

View Full Version : LED question

Oilers
02-28-2012, 05:16 PM
I was reading about SOL LED on the BRS website and it says that you need 1 SOL unit for every foot of your tank. Is that true? My tank is 5x2x2. Does that mean I need 5 SOL units? That sounds too much to me.
Also, the SOL unit is $400 each. The Radion unit is $800. Is the Radion much better than the SOL then? Is there a kit to hang these LEDs? I saw them being hung from the ceiling at the stores and I don't want to go that route.
I am looking to convert into LED and it seems to be an hefty investment so I just want to make sure I am doing it right. Anything else you can tell me is a bonus. Thanks for the input.

mseepman
02-28-2012, 05:19 PM
I would recommend you read the AI site about coverage rather than a 3rd party. My understanding is that the SOL should cover 2 x 2 but again, check it with the manufacturer as I don't have these.
I'm pretty sure you can cover your tank a lot cheaper with SOL's than Radion's as well.

daniella3d
02-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Maybe you should go with DIY? if you need that many LED, that might be a better cheaper option?

I was reading about SOL LED on the BRS website and it says that you need 1 SOL unit for every foot of your tank. Is that true? My tank is 5x2x2. Does that mean I need 5 SOL units? That sounds too much to me.
Also, the SOL unit is $400 each. The Radion unit is $800. Is the Radion much better than the SOL then? Is there a kit to hang these LEDs? I saw them being hung from the ceiling at the stores and I don't want to go that route.
I am looking to convert into LED and it seems to be an hefty investment so I just want to make sure I am doing it right. Anything else you can tell me is a bonus. Thanks for the input.

Oilers
02-28-2012, 05:24 PM
mseepman,
I will certainly check it out. Thanks.

daniella3d,
I don't even know how many led I need for my tank. I was thinking 2 or 3 but the info. on BRS says different.

mseepman
02-28-2012, 05:51 PM
If you are thinking about DIY (that's what I'm doing) then either look at www.modularled.ca or bjb connectors through reefledlights.com

toxic111
02-28-2012, 06:07 PM
I think the AI's @ 1per 1' is about right. I know the Reef Shoppe has 6 over his 6' tank. I know when I was pricing out LED's for my 120, the Radions were around $200 cheaper than the SOL's as I didn't need the controller, & it needed 4 units.

Checking out tanks that are using these will go a long ways in seeing how to do it.

The Radions only have a hanging kit at the moment. The SOL's do have a tank mount bracket.

jorjef
02-28-2012, 06:20 PM
I have 2 AI Sols super blue on a 48" tank. More than enough light for me.... I think 5 on a 5' tank would be throwing money out the window.

The Grizz
02-28-2012, 06:20 PM
I would say that 3- SOLS or 2 - Radions would be enough on a 5' tank. Put the Radions length wise with your tank should be good coverage.

And there are mounting arms for both Sols and Radions. I should know because I build them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monocus
02-28-2012, 06:21 PM
i was pricing out a build for someone else for a 4 1/2 foot light.framework,heatsinks,fans,120 3 watt leds,5 10watt leds and 8 dimmable drivers were $1400 for parts

mseepman
02-28-2012, 06:30 PM
i was pricing out a build for someone else for a 4 1/2 foot light.framework,heatsinks,fans,120 3 watt leds,5 10watt leds and 8 dimmable drivers were $1400 for parts

Not sure what made you pick those parts. If you were to compare, I think 3 Sol's would more than do that tank and that would only be around 72 LED's so you're really loading up the LED's on it. Also, were you doing all serial strings or some parallel strings?

My DIY has 184 3w Cree LED's, 7 drivers total and I'm looking in the neighborhood of $2400 including everything (shipping and taxes) but my elbow grease. Fixtures would have cost me a lot more.

Dez
02-28-2012, 07:01 PM
I have a 5x2x2 and run 3 AI's. I also run supplemental DIY LEDs with it. Full sps tank. Depending on your rock work, you wouldn't need supplementals. I run a full SPS tank.

sphelps
02-28-2012, 07:13 PM
The advantage the Radions have is better spread, built in control and the extra color/effects from red and green LEDs. However in terms of power one Radion is not far off from one sol. Minus red and green the Radion puts out about 94W max and the sol 72W max however the Radion has a higher white to blue ratio (closer to 1/1) than a sol blue (1/3) so unless you like a whiter look the actual usable wattage is pretty comparable. For better spread on the sols you can custom order them with all 70 degree optics and while they need an external controller if you have one already it might be better.

Also consider waiting for the AI Vega, no idea what's in store but the improvements may be worth the wait.

xnmuller
02-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Also consider waiting for the AI Vega, no idea what's in store but the improvements may be worth the wait.

Has anybody heard what the specs on the Vegas will be and what they might price out at?

sphelps
02-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Has anybody heard what the specs on the Vegas will be and what they might price out at?

Nope it's one huge secret :lol:
Prices should be about $100 more than current sols.

Oilers
02-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the input so far everyone. DIY sounds interesting but I don't think it suits me. I can't even set up the dosing pump I just bought not to mention putting the whole lighting system together so I think I am looking to for something that I can just plug and play.

Greg,
Do you think you can build those mounting arms for me? PM me the price if you want. Thanks.
Dez,
That's something I am looking to get into, SPS but I need to upgrade my lighting for them. I tried a couple colonies and my T5 doesn't provide enough light for them that they both died. :neutral:
Sphelps,
Do you know when they will be releasing the AI Vega? I don't mind waiting but I don't want to wait too long either.

monocus
02-28-2012, 08:20 PM
parallel-he wanted to be able to dim different areas in a deep tank

Oilers
02-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Dez,
Do you have a picture of your tank? How high do you hang your sols?

Dez
02-28-2012, 08:28 PM
My AI's are only about 6" from the water surface. There are many pictures of my tank in the links on my signature (Tank of the month and tank journal)

unclesalty
02-28-2012, 08:37 PM
I think the AI's @ 1per 1' is about right. I know the Reef Shoppe has 6 over his 6' tank. I know when I was pricing out LED's for my 120, the Radions were around $200 cheaper than the SOL's as I didn't need the controller, & it needed 4 units.

Checking out tanks that are using these will go a long ways in seeing how to do it.

The Radions only have a hanging kit at the moment. The SOL's do have a tank mount bracket.

That sounds right and looked right to me!

unclesalty
02-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Myself if I am buying LED lights today I would wait on the Vega to come out. They were supposed to come out last fall right after the Radions but were delayed. My guess is they are delayed due to trying to get one step up on the Radions after AI seen the Radions

mseepman
02-28-2012, 08:49 PM
I saw what was supposed to be the Vega (although it was un-named at the time) at MACNA. Each group had moved from the 3 led's to 5 LED's with the center one being an X-ML with much greater power. The software was pretty cool too...similar to what Ecotech was showing off.

Bblinks
02-28-2012, 08:51 PM
I run 9 AI's on my 300 and I believe I could have gotten away with 6 only but I like my tank nicely lit and with all the sps I was even contemplating on 3 more. One thing that I should mention is my AI's are mounted 6 inches above water line so I can get more intensity from them, on the other hand my buddy Peter is running 3 on his 210 with decent coverage but his lights are mounted 12-14 inches awl. It really does boil down to what suit you the best. I would get 3 and see how it looks first and then decide form there. I have a biocube with DIY 24 cree leds but I like the AI's way better. I haven't had the chance to try the radions but I can tell you they do not put out more par then the radions(reef builder dr sanjay's led write up) so if anyone tells you 1 radions = 2 ai sols I would highly dissagree with that statment.

Oilers
02-29-2012, 01:16 AM
Dez,
I looked at your TOTM page and it is amazing. I wish my tank will be half as nice as your tank. How long did it take you to grow the frags into those beautiful colonies?
Also, back to the LED, how many controllers do you need for those 3 SOLs? Is there anything else I need beside the controller?

fishytime
02-29-2012, 01:53 AM
I cant remember so correct me if Im wrong, but I think one controller can control up to 3 units???.....radions communicate wirelessly so no need for a separate controller (or a spot to put said controller for that matter)

sully08
02-29-2012, 04:54 PM
I recently put 3 ai sols over my 220g, 6ft tank. They have been hanging about 12-13" over the water. I have been ramping them up slowly, sitting at about 50-55-55. I hang them length wise. So far I'm lov'in the color. Not sure how high I will go in intencity. It is definately a different kind of light from what I was use to with my T5's. At the present time I do not have any SPS, just LPS and some softies. It is more than enough light right now and I am only at 50%. Whats nice about the sols is that I can always get another modual or 2 if I need it for some SPS.

Dez
02-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Dez,
I looked at your TOTM page and it is amazing. I wish my tank will be half as nice as your tank. How long did it take you to grow the frags into those beautiful colonies?
Also, back to the LED, how many controllers do you need for those 3 SOLs? Is there anything else I need beside the controller?

Most of the corals got to decent sized colonies within 12-18 months. I only have one controller for the SOLs. That's all you need is the controller. I have 2 extra SOL units if you're interested. I thought I needed 5 but only used 3. PM me if interested.

ReefOcean
03-02-2012, 01:29 AM
2x2 with their wide beam optics.