PDA

View Full Version : How to repair frayed cable

reefgirl189
02-28-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm having some trouble repairing a cord from a used piece of equipment I bought from another canreefer.

The cord from the tunze pump unfortunately will sit partway in the water of my DT. The protective sheathing is cracked, exposing all the wires inside. Luckily the internal wires still have their sheathing.

Originally my plan was to get some good heat shrink and use that but I can't find any that will fit over the end of the cord and shrink enough to enclose the exposed wires to the point of being considered waterproof.

I'm nervous of using electrical tape to do the job as it is going to be underwater.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could work? I'm down to my last brilliant idea of using silicone to seal it.

Aquattro
02-28-2012, 03:30 PM
If it was my tank, I wouldn't use it...

Lampshade
02-28-2012, 03:34 PM
There is brush on electrical tape that would work... but i'm not sure how fish safe it is :S

Here's a decent writeup on it:
http://www.epinions.com/review/BlueMagic_Brush_On_Electrical_Tape_epi/content_479614307972?sb=1

One thing you'll have to find is something that has some sort of UV protection. Even electrical tape will turn to a solid cracking mess in time under your lights. Unless of course you have LED's, then I'm not sure how much it would fray. I had some wires in my canopy that where exposed to my halides that made the electrical tape toast.

Nano
02-28-2012, 03:43 PM
the guys at our shop here use the brush on electrical tape for water proofing cables where electrical tape wont work, however, you would want to read up on toxins if there are any in the material

reefgirl189
02-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Hey thanks for the lead on the brush on tape. I'm going to give the company a call and ask about it being aquarium safe.

I'll let you guys know what I find out.

The Codfather
02-28-2012, 05:21 PM
water proof shrink tube. We use it all the time with submersible pump installs, just make sure you follow the instructions to the "t"... but thats what I would use, its proven. Just my 2 cents.....

mseepman
02-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Where do you get it?

reefgirl189
02-28-2012, 06:09 PM
water proof shrink tube. We use it all the time with submersible pump installs, just make sure you follow the instructions to the "t"... but thats what I would use, its proven. Just my 2 cents.....

Thanks for another tip. With the heat shrink any piece that fits over the cord end will not shrink enough to create a seal on the actual cord. Is this shrink different?

parkinsn
02-28-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure if this is fish tank friendly or not but it works like a hot damn. Your local EECOL or Westburne will have it in stock. Looking at the applications part it does say "marine" however if it aquarium friendly or not is the question.

http://www.tnb.ca/en/fichier/whatsnewsousmenu/TBFUSIONTAPE_E.pdf

monocus
02-28-2012, 06:16 PM
i would take it apart and rewire it using the same cord if possible.you just end up with a shorter cord

reefgirl189
02-28-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure if this is fish tank friendly or not but it works like a hot damn. Your local EECOL or Westburne will have it in stock. Looking at the applications part it does say "marine" however if it aquarium friendly or not is the question.

http://www.tnb.ca/en/fichier/whatsnewsousmenu/TBFUSIONTAPE_E.pdf

Speaking of working like HOT DAMN.. If you go to bottom of their page and call the Edmonton branch DO NOT accidently dial 1-866 instead of 1-888 on their toll free number. You will get directed to "gorgeous hot and horny girls"..

Wow... and all I was looking for was some more detailed info on the marine application for the T&B Self-fusing insulation tape... imagine my surprise :mrgreen:

LOL That totally made my day!

parkinsn
02-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Speaking of working like HOT DAMN.. If you go to bottom of their page and call the Edmonton branch DO NOT accidently dial 1-866 instead of 1-888 on their toll free number. You will get directed to "gorgeous hot and horny girls"..

Wow... and all I was looking for was some more detailed info on the marine application for the T&B Self-fusing insulation tape... imagine my surprise :mrgreen:

LOL That totally made my day!

That's awesome!!

reefgirl189
02-28-2012, 06:32 PM
i would take it apart and rewire it using the same cord if possible.you just end up with a shorter cord

I can't... the cracked sheathing is closer to the powerhead than it is to the end of the cord. I cannot open the motor case housing on the powerhead without damaging the unit.

Just waiting to hear back about the tape from the manufacturer...

parkinsn
02-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Pm'd

sunoka
02-28-2012, 06:54 PM
I inspect electrical and work closely with CSA....you need to throw the pump in the garbage it is unsafe for your fish and your home ! Are you GFI protected ?

I'm having some trouble repairing a cord from a used piece of equipment I bought from another canreefer.

The cord from the tunze pump unfortunately will sit partway in the water of my DT. The protective sheathing is cracked, exposing all the wires inside. Luckily the internal wires still have their sheathing.

Originally my plan was to get some good heat shrink and use that but I can't find any that will fit over the end of the cord and shrink enough to enclose the exposed wires to the point of being considered waterproof.

I'm nervous of using electrical tape to do the job as it is going to be underwater.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could work? I'm down to my last brilliant idea of using silicone to seal it.

reefgirl189
02-28-2012, 07:30 PM
I inspect electrical and work closely with CSA....you need to throw the pump in the garbage it is unsafe for your fish and your home ! Are you GFI protected ?

Yes the sump room is GFI protected. Sigh... I knew that the cable was no good and it shouldn't be used.. I'm just a bit upset that I wasted the money... I should have just bought a brand new pump...

ETA: I think I'll contact Tunze and see if they can replace the cable on it for me...

Lampshade
02-28-2012, 07:38 PM
IF it's that bad, cut the cable where it's freyed, solder both wires together, heat shrink each wire, and heat shrink the cable a good 6" up on both sides. IT's only 18/24VDC and protected by the controller. So even if you do a terrible mess and have water get in, you won't be frying your fish.

If it's 120V then yes, it could be a safety hazard, and I would be iffy about the repair.

lockrookie
02-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Yes the sump room is GFI protected. Sigh... I knew that the cable was no good and it shouldn't be used.. I'm just a bit upset that I wasted the money... I should have just bought a brand new pump...

dont sweat it i bought a couple powerheads from a guy that ended up being garbage. but it is better to toss and mark it up as an oops than get electricuted by your pump your safetty and teh sfety of your system is nuber one money can be remade human cloneing not so easy.

reef-keeper
02-28-2012, 08:45 PM
If the powerhead is glued you should just tossed away. If it is disassemable you can buy a new molded power cord from Electrionic Connections on the south side in Edmonton and replace the cord. The last cord I bought was $6.99.

Mrfish55
02-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Speaking of working like HOT DAMN.. If you go to bottom of their page and call the Edmonton branch DO NOT accidently dial 1-866 instead of 1-888 on their toll free number. You will get directed to "gorgeous hot and horny girls"!

just to make sure, could you post the full phone number?:lol: