PDA

View Full Version : sps food

bignose
02-27-2012, 08:56 PM
I am going to buy coral food soon so I'm wondering what you feed your tank.

I have a sps tank so if you also have one let me know how you feed. I am currently using Reef Roids, I turn off my return valves, put the food in the display wait a half hour and then open the return valves.

Snufflupagus
02-27-2012, 09:03 PM
I feed my SPS AI LED lighting and the whatever they pick out of the water column. Calcium, Alk and Mag dosing.
As for my sea fan, I spot feed him reef roids.

daniella3d
02-27-2012, 09:46 PM
A good food for coloring them up is Zeovit amino acid and Zeovit sponge power. Reef roid and Coral Frenzy are also very good food along with the Fauna Marin food.

Light is enough for corals to survive but if you want insane growth and great colors, then the food really help.

I would wait one hour instead of 30 minutes, especially if you put amino acid.

I am going to buy coral food soon so I'm wondering what you feed your tank.

I have a sps tank so if you also have one let me know how you feed. I am currently using Reef Roids, I turn off my return valves, put the food in the display wait a half hour and then open the return valves.

ScubaSteve
02-27-2012, 09:46 PM
I feed fish poop, photons and Amino Acids

Aquattro
02-27-2012, 09:49 PM
IMO, adding food for SPS does nothing but pollute the water, making colors a bit less vibrant. I feel they get enough from the light and the fish, I add nothing else (I do add Zeo additives, but not really a food)

bignose
02-27-2012, 10:22 PM
With the zeo additives are you running full zeo? I'm trying to color my sps up.

Aquattro
02-27-2012, 10:31 PM
With the zeo additives are you running full zeo? I'm trying to color my sps up.

Yes, kinda. I forget a lot, so I often don't agitate the rocks or dose the drops. Still get great results :)

Aquattro
02-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Further, if you're struggling to get color, adding food might go in the opposite direction for you. Look at nutrient reduction and lighting first.

fishytime
02-27-2012, 10:47 PM
turkey baste off the rocks once a week......this will both feed your corals and do wonders for the rock....

Aquattro
02-27-2012, 10:54 PM
turkey baste off the rocks once a week......this will both feed your corals and do wonders for the rock....

Ya, what he said!! :)

Proteus
02-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Jason

I'm running prodibio. Which includes reef booster. I really do like it

I have also heard good things about aquavitro's fuel

Have a look
http://www.aquavitro.com/products/reef.html

Bblinks
02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Same here, don't feed any thing special excpet for zeovit amino acid, coral vitalizer, and sponge power. I don't think they count as a source of food. I do not run zeovit rock but pellets instead. Strong lighting and fish poop should be good enough for SPS IMO.

Reefie
02-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Strong lighting and fish poop should be good enough for the wife IMO.

+1
:wink:

Bblinks
02-28-2012, 12:07 AM
+1
:wink:

Just can't stop the growth... Haha!

bignose
02-28-2012, 01:46 AM
Same here, don't feed any thing special excpet for zeovit amino acid, coral vitalizer, and sponge power. I don't think they count as a source of food. I do not run zeovit rock but pellets instead. Strong lighting and fish poop should be good enough for SPS IMO.

What would you consider too bright? I have 8x54 T5HO 5-6" from water surface. I also run pellets I just recently switched from vodka to pellets.

paddyob
02-28-2012, 02:57 AM
Ultra clam. My sps ... And other corals... Love it.

Reef Supplies
02-28-2012, 10:25 PM
I agree that fish poop and lighting is usually enough BUT, if you want the super bright colors and fast growth, you should feed a little. "little" being the key word. If I were to choose 1 food, id say ZEOvit Coral Snow.

bignose
02-29-2012, 12:10 AM
I was looking at the zeo products and the cost is ridiculous, I couldn't even imagine the cost to run full zeo.

Aquattro
02-29-2012, 01:17 AM
I was looking at the zeo products and the cost is ridiculous, I couldn't even imagine the cost to run full zeo.

Well, you don't use all the stuff :) I use only a few, plus rocks. Ya, it costs a bit per year, but well worth it in my tank.

bignose
02-29-2012, 01:28 AM
Well, you don't use all the stuff :) I use only a few, plus rocks. Ya, it costs a bit per year, but well worth it in my tank.

What would you recommend for a sps tank? Not sure if this matters but I run biopellets.

Aquattro
02-29-2012, 02:39 AM
What would you recommend for a sps tank? Not sure if this matters but I run biopellets.

Not sure if they're compatible. I run about 1.5L of rock, and I dose amino acids, coral vitalizer, Zeobak, Zeofood7 and Zeostart2.
Based on dosages from G. Alexander, I buy these about once a year. I forget to dose a lot too :)
Overall, it's a cost that I have to factor into my annual bills, but I have the nicest tank I've had in 12 years of reef keeping. Probably not all due to Zeo, but it helps.
You also can eliminate a couple of those supps, further reducing costs. Save up, buy once a year on boxing day.