PDA

View Full Version : Ro units

weyburnt
02-27-2012, 04:15 AM
was wondering if anyone has used the vertex puratek RO unit. Jand L has it for 120 bucks. Why so cheap. I there problems with it? Im only running a 55 gallon so for now Im actually using culligan bottles, but is this the way to go. As well how important is a DI filter.

hillbillyreefer
02-27-2012, 04:30 AM
I just got a new 7stage from aquasafe for about that delivered.

Maverick00
02-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Ive had one for several months now, works like a champ with no issues. I bought a booster pump (another 100$) because my water pressure was alittle low. This isnt necessary if you already have a pressure of around 50-60 psi

This is the only one ive ever purchased or used before, I got mine for around the same price.

mseepman
02-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Note also that you are only looking at the base RO unit....not RO/DI which has a lot more parts and costs more.

weyburnt
02-29-2012, 07:24 PM
If I have city water is the do unit worth the bang for the buck? As well I was told by somebody the to filter will need replaced very often if I don't have a water softener. Has anyone had this issue

dreef
03-01-2012, 12:51 AM
By your user name..you live in the same city as me :) I've had the 100 GPD for about 2 years now.I have nothing but good to say about them...test the TDS of our water..it can get as high as 400 at times.You'll probably need a booster pump as well,i believe i bought the unit for about 275 on sale shipped from J&L ..worth it.

bignose
03-01-2012, 01:04 AM
I use this filter and it works great. Only downside with 100gpd is it's less efficient compared to 70gpd or 75gpd, not by much I think 2%. I paid around $300 shipped.

weyburnt
03-01-2012, 05:49 AM
Sorry I meant to post is the rodi worth the extra money over the ro only unit

FragIt Dan
03-01-2012, 06:38 AM
Sorry I meant to post is the rodi worth the extra money over the ro only unit

Depends on what you want to achieve. I have pretty good city water but still run DI because I have a lot of evaporation, have heavy coral load and desire pretty low Phosphates without a fuge. There are many ways to achieve the same goal, I just chose DI. If you are fighting hairy algae, have higher evaporation or have more sensitive corals, the DI unit would be more worthwhile. I added my DI afterwards from a BRS kit with a refillable cartridge and in fact now run two DI units inline. You could run GFO in a reactor and likely achieve similar results but have the added bonus of taking phosphates from foods out of your tank water. I run both.

FragIt Dan