PDA

View Full Version : A little help setting up my doser........

The Grizz
02-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Wondering if there is a chart or something that will tell me how much Mag Mix, Cacium & Soda Ash I need to put into say a 1 gallon jug so I can start using my dose.

MMAX
02-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Wondering if there is a chart or something that will tell me how much Mag Mix, Cacium & Soda Ash I need to put into say a 1 gallon jug so I can start using my dose.

I just did mine today...2 1/4 cups of soda, 2 1/2 cups of calcium and depends what you're using for mag. I used 3 cups of Mg SO4 and 5 cups of Mg Cl2

The Grizz
02-26-2012, 11:32 PM
I have some of LittleSilverMax's mag mix left that I want to use up so I would guess around 3 cups of it.

cuz
02-26-2012, 11:54 PM
I love my doser but absolutley hated figuring out how much of what to dose how many times a day at what dilution!!!

I just picked a dilution ratio and stuck to it, then tested every 2 days to see if i had to increase or decrease the amount being dosed/dose depending on what my tank was consuming in the 2 day period.
Only thing i wished I new at first was to start with mag, once its at a good level it won't likely need much help staying there. Then its easier to balnce the teater totter of the Ca and Alk..
Just my two cents..

e46er
02-26-2012, 11:55 PM
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

The Grizz
02-27-2012, 12:33 AM
I love my doser but absolutley hated figuring out how much of what to dose how many times a day at what dilution!!!

I just picked a dilution ratio and stuck to it, then tested every 2 days to see if i had to increase or decrease the amount being dosed/dose depending on what my tank was consuming in the 2 day period.
Only thing i wished I new at first was to start with mag, once its at a good level it won't likely need much help staying there. Then its easier to balnce the teater totter of the Ca and Alk..
Just my two cents..

Agreed, I am going to concentrate on the Mag first. ATM its at 1150 which is not bad considering last big WC was about 3 month ago. My tank evaps way more then most tanks being out in the country that I have to add a little salt to my ATO ( around 1.022 ) just to keep my salinity at 1.026.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

I already have all my additive & how I want to does, just wanted to know how much additive per gallon of RO.

This is a good artical but doesn't answer my question with clairity to me.

bignose
02-27-2012, 12:37 AM
Greg I send a email regarding this same question to Ocean Fresh Aquarium Products about their mixing instructions. Here is a quote of the email I got. If this is wrong and someone knows please speak up.

"Coral Grow mixing instructions

CA
The concentration that I use here is 72gram/liter of Calcium Chloride. CaCl weighs 194grams per cup. So add 1.5 cups to 1 gallon of ro water. Do be careful as it generates heat as it dissolves so only use cold water.

KH
The concentration that I use here is 84 gram/liter of Sodium bicarbonate aluminum free. It weighs 290grams per cup. So add 1 cup and 1 teaspoon to 1 gallon of ro water. Stir this until dissolved, heating it a bit may help as well. Dont add it all at once but do it gradually over five minutes while stirring constantly.
Mg
The concentration that I use here is 55gram/liter of Magnesium Chloride. MgCl weighs 225grams per cup. So add 1 cup to 1 gallon of ro water and also add 1 teaspoon of deodorant free Epsom Salt.

Once you have tested your system and have the pumps properly set I would not change the concentrations of the mixtures.

For calculations I assumed there is 4 liters in a gallon."

MMAX
02-27-2012, 12:41 AM
I couldn't believe my mag and calcium were pretty much right on without any prior dosing. Must be the H2Ocean salt and regular bi-weekly 10% water changes. Alk was a bit low at 5dkH. I'm scratching my head on where to start and how much each day.

eli@fijireefrock.com
02-27-2012, 12:44 AM
its always a pain when starting a dosing regime as to how much of each diluted chemical to add to your specific tank and the answer is simply what Cuz said I just picked a dilution ratio and stuck to it, then tested every 2 days to see if i had to increase or decrease the amount being dosed/dose depending on what my tank was consuming in the 2 day period.
Just my two cents..
If you are asking for chemical addition to your 1 gallon of RO water try what I have here caco3reef.bulk-chemicals (http://caco3reef.com/bulk-chemicals) and go read up under each chemical I have as there are recipes.But to be honest you are using chemicals that is I believe 1 to 1.5 years old :biggrin: and from what I heard from some Canreefers (its not the best...) and after you are finished with these chemicals and start with a different type your recipe will need to go through a little changes as not all chemicals have the same concentration.Hope that helps getting things started...

The Grizz
02-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Greg I send a email regarding this same question to Ocean Fresh Aquarium Products about their mixing instructions. Here is a quote of the email I got. If this is wrong and someone knows please speak up.

"Coral Grow mixing instructions

CA
The concentration that I use here is 72gram/liter of Calcium Chloride. CaCl weighs 194grams per cup. So add 1.5 cups to 1 gallon of ro water. Do be careful as it generates heat as it dissolves so only use cold water.

KH
The concentration that I use here is 84 gram/liter of Sodium bicarbonate aluminum free. It weighs 290grams per cup. So add 1 cup and 1 teaspoon to 1 gallon of ro water. Stir this until dissolved, heating it a bit may help as well. Dont add it all at once but do it gradually over five minutes while stirring constantly.
Mg
The concentration that I use here is 55gram/liter of Magnesium Chloride. MgCl weighs 225grams per cup. So add 1 cup to 1 gallon of ro water and also add 1 teaspoon of deodorant free Epsom Salt.

Once you have tested your system and have the pumps properly set I would not change the concentrations of the mixtures.

For calculations I assumed there is 4 liters in a gallon."

Perfect thanks for the info.

I couldn't believe my mag and calcium were pretty much right on without any prior dosing. Must be the H2Ocean salt and regular bi-weekly 10% water changes. Alk was a bit low at 5dkH. I'm scratching my head on where to start and how much each day.

I'm somewhat in the same boat but my dkH is on the high side & I mean HIGH ( at least that's what my test kit said)

christyf5
02-27-2012, 12:46 AM
I have some of LittleSilverMax's mag mix left that I want to use up so I would guess around 3 cups of it.

I'm using 5 and half (not sure where I got that number from though). But you can pretty much add whatever you like and just watch your levels and dose accordingly :biggrin:

The Grizz
02-27-2012, 12:48 AM
its always a pain when starting a dosing regime as to how much of each diluted chemical to add to your specific tank and the answer is simply what Cuz said
If you are asking for chemical addition to your 1 gallon of RO water try what I have here caco3reef.bulk-chemicals (http://caco3reef.com/bulk-chemicals) and go read up under each chemical I have as there are recipes.But to be honest you are using chemicals that is I believe 1 to 1.5 years old :biggrin: and from what I heard from some Canreefers (its not the best...) and after you are finished with these chemicals and start with a different type your recipe will need to go through a little changes as not all chemicals have the same concentration.Hope that helps getting things started...

Your site was my next stop :biggrin: the mag mix I have here is from Max's very last batch of last year so it's not that old.

The Grizz
02-27-2012, 12:50 AM
I'm using 5 and half (not sure where I got that number from though). But you can pretty much add whatever you like and just watch your levels and dose accordingly :biggrin:

Cool thanks Christy

e46er
02-27-2012, 12:59 AM
Test your tank for cal alk wait 24 hours test again
This will tell you your tanks demands
Use this chart to find out hOw much product. Is required to keep the levels optimal then decide how often you want your doser to run (cycles) find out your dosers pump rating

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html
Mine for example runs for 29 sec every 2 hours

The Grizz
02-27-2012, 01:14 AM
Test your tank for cal alk wait 24 hours test again
This will tell you your tanks demands
Use this chart to find out hOw much product. Is required to keep the levels optimal then decide how often you want your doser to run (cycles) find out your dosers pump rating

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html
Mine for example runs for 29 sec every 2 hours

I know how to figure out what & how to does, what I was asking is how much additive to add to 1 gallon of RO water to dose from. I don't want to much or to little additive in my dosing containers.

eli@fijireefrock.com
02-27-2012, 01:23 AM
I know how to figure out what & how to does, what I was asking is how much additive to add to 1 gallon of RO water to dose from. I don't want to much or to little additive in my dosing containers.

Ok total concentration of chemicals to a gallon of water is as follow:
Calcium chloride 2.25 cups/gallon RO water
Magnesium
Magnesium Sulfate 3cups
Magnesium Chloride 5 cups
/gallon RO water
Soda Ash 1.5 cups/gallon RO water

Don't go over these parameters,those concentrations will vary your dosing regime. The way I see it,I hate mixing the chemicals so why go 1/2 or even 1/3 of concentration.

The Grizz
02-27-2012, 01:36 AM
Now that what I'm talking about, thanks Eli.

christyf5
02-27-2012, 01:52 AM
the mag mix I have here is from Max's very last batch of last year so it's not that old.

I'm still working through his batch of magnesium mix(I went a little nuts on the order as he was shutting down and I didn't know where else to get it, so I have a ton!) and its totally fine.

christyf5
02-27-2012, 01:53 AM
Ok total concentration of chemicals to a gallon of water is as follow:
Calcium chloride 2.25 cups/gallon RO water
Magnesium
Magnesium Sulfate 3cups
Magnesium Chloride 5 cups
/gallon RO water
Soda Ash 1.5 cups/gallon RO water

Don't go over these parameters,those concentrations will vary your dosing regime. The way I see it,I hate mixing the chemicals so why go 1/2 or even 1/3 of concentration.

LOL, I knew it was more than 5 cups but couldn't remember. Thanks Elias! I add the 8 cups as my mag is already mixed together (I use a half cup to add it and sometimes I lose count :razz:)

e46er
02-27-2012, 07:35 PM

The first link I send you to randy holmes farely told you everything you needed to know and gave you a much cheeper solution to soda ash ........