PDA

View Full Version : Killer slime?

Proteus
02-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Over the last few days I have had a brownish red thin slime growing in the corner. I used a turkey Baster to suck it up and changed flow in tank. This morning I came to find the slime returning and my dragon soul and blasto clinging to life. These pieces were in the area of the slime. I have siphoned it out with sand and cleaned area

What is this slime and how do I prevent it.
Water perameters are all 100%

The Grizz
02-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Sounds like cyano or dinoflagellate's ( I think that's what it's called ) caused by uneaten food nutrients.

Proteus
02-26-2012, 08:55 PM
It's not cyano. But I'll look up the later. It was concentrated in a small pocket I. The corner only on sand bed. I am diligent with feeding being that I've had problems before due to over feed

Thanks Greg I'll do a little research

Proteus
02-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Here's a good read

Sound like the neurotoxin inhibit ion movement in cellular tissue. Making cellular function cease

http://siobiolum.ucsd.edu/dino_intro.html

Cal_stir
02-26-2012, 10:32 PM
I have battled dino in the past, thought I was going to have to tear down and start over, I battled for @ 6 weeks physically removing it, water changes, movement, etc., then I read an article by Highlandreefer on RC(can't find the article but still looking) I followed his remedy to the letter and it worked.
Here,s what I did.
Reduced flow (sounds counterproductive, but you are spreading it)
No water changes
Raise alk to @ 11 dkh
Raise water temp to 82 (slowly)
Change socks daily or more often (if used, if not, get some)
Put a sock on the gium if remote.
Skim wet
Lights out in tank and gium for at least 3 days, 4 is better, allow only indirect light for a few minutes each day to feed the fish, the tank must be dark so if you can't prevent light in the room then cover the tank.
After the dark period, add light slowly with reduced photoperiod of @ 4 hrs.
Use a turkey baster to blow the dead dino off the rocks, change the socks before and after, vacuum the substrate and do a 20% WC (remember to adjust water to new params), change the socks.
Clean the dead dino from the gium.
Watch very closely for a few days for signs of dino, if still present, do lights out again immediatly for 4 days.
Reclean rocks and substrate.
Slowly return the system to your normal params and lighting .
Good luck.

I did the lights out for 3 days the first time and had to do it a second time, so I would do 4 days if I had to do it again.
I lost no fish or corals, they didn't seem bothered at all.

Still looking for the article, will post it if I find it.

Proteus
02-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the info

I siphoned it all out including sand it was on. If I see it tommorrow I will begin your suggested remedy

Cal_stir
02-26-2012, 11:20 PM
If you are sure it is dino, I wouldn't waste any time, I wasted 6 weeks.
What we had looked like cyano, was reddish brown but browner than red, it formed strings, a lot of tiny bubbles and bubbles on the strings, at first we did a reduced photoperiod, reduced feeding, more flow, more WC, and every morning it looked like it was gone, but by the end of day it was worse than the day before, it was choking out our corals.

Proteus
02-26-2012, 11:30 PM
No bubbles no strings. Just a brownish membrane on sand. I think the obly reason it harmed the two pieces was from agitating it as there are acans also there that were not affected. This oaticular Acan is sensitive to change

reefwars
02-26-2012, 11:34 PM
dinos and cyano are very similar....the only way to tell the difference is under micro scope.....9 times out of 10 what people believe is dinos is cyano, cyano can also form strings of bubbles.

blackout is def your best choice though regardless of what it is, but manual removal still needs to be done:)

Cal_stir
02-27-2012, 12:24 AM
No bubbles no strings. Just a brownish membrane on sand. I think the obly reason it harmed the two pieces was from agitating it as there are acans also there that were not affected. This oaticular Acan is sensitive to change

We didn't get the strings at first and thought we had cyano, but the longer it progressed the the worse it got and the strings became prevalent, it is very hard to tell the to apart but after a while the strings would get @ 5" long.
We've had some nasty cyano but never had the strings like dino.

Proteus
02-27-2012, 02:08 AM
Kool

Thanks for the help.