02-26-2012, 06:06 PM
As the tittle states

I have a yellow stag. But looks neon green in my tank

Proteus
02-28-2012, 12:43 AM
Really. No yellow tort in Edmonton.

Reefie
02-28-2012, 01:00 AM
My Yellow Tort looks green in my tank too.

Maybe we need to change our lights? Sounds like a great excuse to upgrade! Haha!

Proteus
02-28-2012, 01:03 AM
Yeah. I'll tell Mona bear I need AI sol to make my colors pop. I am about ready for new bulbs

dc4
02-28-2012, 01:35 AM
As the tittle states

I have a yellow stag. But looks neon green in my tank

If you add a really neon green sps, it will make the yellow look like its actually yellow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Proteus
02-28-2012, 02:08 AM
I'll try that. Thought all I have for neon green Sps is hydrophona. And I don't want that anywhere near lol

sphelps
02-28-2012, 02:17 AM
I believe too much iron tends to turn yellow sps green and not enough iron tends to make green sps yellow.

PoonTang
02-28-2012, 02:27 AM
I believe too much iron tends to turn yellow sps green and not enough iron tends to make green sps yellow.

Hmmm that's good to know. Quite a while ago Christy and I got some bright yellow frags from a fellow reefer on here and mine have turned totally green. I do have other yellow frags that havnt turned and also some bright greens. I need to find someone with a iron test kit.

sphelps
02-28-2012, 02:32 AM
Hmmm that's good to know. Quite a while ago Christy and I got some bright yellow frags from a fellow reefer on here and mine have turned totally green. I do have other yellow frags that havnt turned and also some bright greens. I need to find someone with a iron test kit.

You have to also consider the source tank.... while your iron might be good, his/hers might be low so "yellow" frags may actually be green... If you know what I mean.

Growing macro usually cuts iron down.

FYI sorry I just realized this is a classified thread :redface:

Proteus
02-28-2012, 12:02 PM
I'll test my iron today. I do grow algea with a scrubber and a few mangrove.

Thanks for the info on iron

Reefer Rob
02-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Yellow will turn green with high nutrients or low light. You will likely need undetectable nutrients levels to have true yellow. How are your nitrates? I don't think iron will be an issue unless you are dosing it.

Proteus
02-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Yellow will turn green with high nutrients or low light. You will likely need undetectable nutrients levels to have true yellow. How are your nitrates? I don't think iron will be an issue unless you are dosing it.

I have no nitrates. I can't get cheato to grow my magroves grow very slow and I have a algea scrubber that been running for 2 weeks now. I have also been using prodibio for 12 weeks. I have been testing water biweekly. Two months ago I had a po4 problem but have since rectified it. I run a mr1 reactor with phosban. I have great colors in Sps like garf bonsi. No other corals are off colored except a purple digi which brownish with purple tips.
I also have a white and fluorescent yellow frag of my brothers on my frag rack which has maintained color.

I have three 250 watt Mh @ 20k. Two t5 @ 10k. Two antinic t5

sphelps
02-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Nitrates, phosphates and lighting effect all SPS. If color is good everywhere else I would rules those out. While I agree high iron is unlikely unless you dose, low iron is very likely however it's not your tank that has the issue. Your "yellow" stag could have come from a low iron tank and is actually a green stag which are more common.

Reefer Rob
02-28-2012, 04:15 PM
I also have a white and fluorescent yellow frag of my brothers on my frag rack which has maintained color.

Since you have a yellow coral that's maintained it's color I'd agree it's likely the coral and not your tank.

Lots of yellow SPS on the coast, maybe the prairie reefers are stingy with their nice corals :surprise: Pink Lemonaid has a nice yellow if you can get it.

Aquattro
02-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Pink Lemonaid has a nice yellow if you can get it.

Agreed. This is my only true yellow coral.

dc4
02-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Agreed. This is my only true yellow coral.

Ditto

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Proteus
02-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks for everyones input.

I have found some mini colonies that have great looking yellows.

I guess lighting would be the factor for my stag as the tank it came from ran 10k lights so I can see my 20k changes the colors

reefermadness
02-28-2012, 05:32 PM
True yellow is hard to find I only have 2....a tyree pink lemonade and another pink lemonade look a like.

A lot of times zeo, ULNS or super high lighting may turn a normally green coral yellow. Also green coral often look yellow after they have under gone shipping stress.