PDA

View Full Version : anyone use 150W DE lighting?

smokinreefer
03-03-2004, 07:00 AM
what brand? bulb type?
opinions on the lighting?
system description?
tank size, etc?
tankpics?
height above tank? light spread?
where'd you get it? costs?
:mrgreen:

i have done tons of searching/reading on various boards, but the more info i can get the better.

i am leaning towards geismann fixtures at the moment. but at $500 for a single 150W fixture, i would most definitely like to be making an informed decision if i decide to go ahead with a purchase.

TIA

Seth
03-03-2004, 07:36 AM
what size tank are you going for and are u doing sps?

I am using 2 150w over my 20 gallon tank.
One of them is a 14k bulb and the other is a 20k.
IMO, they are not bright enough.
I will try a 10k bulb later and hope it will be better.

smokinreefer
03-03-2004, 08:40 AM
youre using 2 150s over a 20 and it isnt bright enough? dang.

sps is my current focus. though i would cater the tank to whatever animals would be suitable.

your opinion/experience of the 150DE seems to be quite contrary to what i have been reading.

any pics?

at such a low wattage i definitely wouldnt be using 20k. besides the lower par, i prefer a more whiteish light.

i was interested in 150W DE AB10k... they are supposed to be the iwasaki's of the 150W DE world, just not as yellow!

and i have heard good things about the geismann 13k megachrome bulb as well.

Seth
03-03-2004, 08:48 AM
As i've said, 20ks are not bright enough (not enough par) therefore i don't have enough light. I will go for 10k bulbs when I have a chance to change.

The 14ks bulbs are alright but still, I want more.

It's not really the wattage that matters, it's the intensity. My sps don't color up without the right intensity.

Most of my sps look good but some really high requirement sps don't like to color up.

I've heard the AB10k are good. I want to try them but they are expensive. I will be trying either ushio or ab when i have a chance to change the bulb.

But overall, if I had to do it over again, i would just go for 250W HQI. The price different is not that much and you know you will have enough intensity for sure.

I dunno about the geismann bulbs. Not alot of people run 150watters so it's hard to have good reviews.

Pics? I think I've posted some pics before in the picture forum. If it's not there, I can post it again.

yifan917
03-04-2004, 08:03 AM
I have a Ushio 150W 1000K HQI....if anyone is interested....
only fired up for less than 10hrs....
I'm using 20000K AB HQI now.... looks great!

Seth
03-05-2004, 07:23 AM
I'm buy it if you lowered the price. :biggrin: