PDA

View Full Version : Trace Iodine question

Wendy
02-25-2012, 04:25 PM
I am new to corals and still trying to figure everything out, i was reading on some of the corals ive been thinking about getting and it mentions that some of them need trace amounts of Iodine.How do you give them the iodine? will the iodine affect any of my fish/shrimp? is it weekly or bi-weekly they'll need it? and lastley is there a preffered kind of Iodine to use?
Sorry for so many questions,i just want to be sure that if i do get corals that i can care for them properly :D

Reefer Rob
02-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Corals don't "need" iodine additives, or any other additives. Your tank will do just fine with water changes only. The additives can be used to "tweak" color etc. Always observe when adding anything to make sure you're getting the desired results. If not discontinue it.

My latest tank is only 3 months old so I haven't add any supplements yet. I want to establish a "base line" to be able to notice any effects, good or bad.

I like to add iodine to my calcium chloride supplement, which is dosed several times a day.

Wendy
02-25-2012, 05:34 PM
So if i added hearty soft corals to my tank they'd do alright with normal water changes? <--- this would be great :D

Reefer Rob
02-25-2012, 05:47 PM
So if i added hearty soft corals to my tank they'd do alright with normal water changes? <--- this would be great :D

Yes, and when I say additives I mean trace elements. Remember to test calcium and alkalinity regularly. Even with soft corals, the coraline algae may consume enough of these elements to require supplementation in addition to water changes.

Snappy
02-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Yes soft corals will generally not need any supplements other than water changes.

Wendy
02-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Great! thank you for the help :D Im thinking of getting some: Green star polyp,Starburst polyps and mushrooms,its a huge relief that as long as i keep up on things that they should fair well
Thanks again :)