PDA

View Full Version : Amonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate

StirCrazy
07-03-2002, 08:24 PM
Ok my tank is cycling well now, and I have a detectable level of all 3 compounds, my question is what levels are low enough, of each, to allow me to put live rock in to help the process along with out killing any of the goodies that come along with the rock?

By "goodies" I mean bugs, worms, polyps, mushrooms ect...

Steve

Aquattro
07-03-2002, 09:52 PM
Put the rock in now. It will clear the water within a couple of days.

BC_Grl
07-03-2002, 10:04 PM
Stir Crazy,
What kind of Rock did you get? We had looked at Vanuato, Marshall Island, and Fiji.

One_Divided
07-03-2002, 10:06 PM
all of those things will do fine with lower water quality.. I can't give u any specifics but I'm sure you'll be fine if u add the rock next week like you mentioned. Personally I think they'd even do fine now.

Aquattro
07-04-2002, 12:07 AM
Steve's rock has actually cured a few years now, I think. It comes from an established tank. It can go in now.

terryp01
07-04-2002, 12:44 AM
It depends on whether you are adding raw or cured rock. If you are adding raw rock, then I would add now since your tank will recycle. If you are adding cured rock, I would wait until the Nitrate levels are low since than means the end of the cycle.

Aquattro
07-04-2002, 01:16 AM
Dus, the nitrates won't go down until the sandbed starts to work. Adding 120+ pounds of FULLY cured rock would take care of it right away.

StirCrazy
07-08-2002, 07:21 PM
Just another side bar, my amonia kit says my levels are in the toxic range but this morning I found this (this is our mysterious trail maker Brad :D )

http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/critters/hermit.jpg

he wwas a hitch hiker on some sand Brad gave me to kickstart my sand bed. I have also noticed a couple tiny snail shells that I will try to find out if they are alive or not, but seeing as they haven't moved, I doubt it.

How much amonia can thease hermits handle? or is the suspended mater that is making my tank hazy also making my amonia test kit read false?

Steve

[ 08 July 2002, 15:26: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

Delphinus
07-08-2002, 07:54 PM
IMO hermits can be tough little buggers. It seems to me a lot of them inhabit tidal pools with ease. And if you think about it, that means salinity all over the place (evaporation and rain), temperature all over the place, and probably even things like ammonia and stuff (if the pool is exposed long enough). So if it's from shallower waters or an intertidal zone, my bet would be on "pretty darn hardy/resilient." If it's from deeper waters where parameters are constant then conceivably it could be sensitive. So ULTIMATELY I guess the answer is "it depends." :D (Don't you love these kinds of definitive and committal answers? smile.gif )