PDA

View Full Version : Ugh bad morning

MarkoD
02-24-2012, 01:21 PM
walked by the tank while the moonlights were on this morning and i see my moorish idol all beat up and missing a bunch of his fins.

looks like he got beat up.

the most recent fish i added was the black shoulder tang and for 2 weeks now he seemed to fit in just fine. no aggression towards anything.

i moved the idol to my refugium but i dont know if its gonna make it :(

anyone know why fish suddenly snap and become aggressive?

Aquattro
02-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Crappy! I've heard of tangs doing this, especially sohals and clowns. Just snap one day and kill everything. Although I would not expect it overnight. Maybe he got stuck somewhere and beat himself up trying to get loose?

MarkoD
02-24-2012, 01:28 PM
ugh this is so disappointing. i cant imagine where he'd get stuck, my rock work is fairly open

FishyFishy!
02-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Sorry to hear that brew. Could have been a bunch of things, but the Tang could very well to blame.

Brandon5555
02-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Hard to say really, I have a theory though. I have found that fish's behavior changes with the presence of moonlight. Perhaps it was an instinctual behavior triggered by the moonlight. Something to consider.

sphelps
02-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Hard to say really, I have a theory though. I have found that fish's behavior changes with the presence of moonlight. Perhaps it was an instinctual behavior triggered by the moonlight. Something to consider.

Full moon perhaps??

Sorry about the fish, I just gave mine up cause it started eating coral so perhaps it's for the best. You got a wicked pic to remember him by too!

Mrfish55
02-24-2012, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=anyone know why fish suddenly snap and become aggressive?[/QUOTE]

Karmas way of teaching you not to threaten to give their home away for free!

Seriously, hope he recovers, be a shame to lose him like that.

Lampshade
02-24-2012, 07:24 PM
That sucks, I hope he recovers. Sometimes it takes a bit for fish to grow a pair and start challenging tank mates, my tang was the tank bitch and has climbed his way to not letting anything else in the tank now. Perhaps it was the threat of the smashed tank?

Proteus
02-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Sorry to hear Marko

I had a sohal in the tank since i set it up then one day he snapped and started thrashing at fish he grew up with.
No more tangs for this guy

MarkoD
02-24-2012, 10:35 PM
ok so i got home. he's been in my quarantine tank all day. i check on him and hes swimming around, picking at the rocks that i have at the bottom.

i put him back in the tank, he's swimming around and lively.

hopefully it'll be good from now on. i would really hate to have to get rid of another fish because they're picking on this guy

MarkoD
02-25-2012, 01:04 PM
bad news again. moorish idol is dead and already have eaten by crabs

MMAX
02-25-2012, 01:41 PM
RIP buddy.

fishoholic
02-25-2012, 02:15 PM
i would really hate to have to get rid of another fish because they're picking on this guy

Sorry to hear the MI didn't make it, but I've told people many times in the past that they can only be kept with very peaceful tankmates, unfortunately I learned that lesson the hard way.

If you ever try another one personally the only tankmates I'd try with it would be: Gobies, blennies maybe anthias (some anthias can be aggressive), chromis, cardinalfish, dragonettes, dartfish, basslets and maybe fairy/leopard wrasses, although sometimes they can be agressive. My one friend was able to kept one for awhile (a few years) with a porcupine puffer, I think she had 2 other fish with it but I can't remember what they were. I remember she tried a few other fish with her MI and she said anytime a new fish would even look at her MI the wrong way she'd have to remove it immediately or risk losing her MI. Eventually she sold her MI and mentioned how stressful it had been trying to find tankmates that were compatible.

reefgirl189
02-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Sorry for your loss... I know how much you liked him. He was a beautiful fish.

Do you still think it's the new black shoulder tang that did it?

mseepman
02-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Sorry for your loss. That was a beautiful looking fish.

Delphinus
02-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Sad news. Sorry to hear it..

Lance
02-25-2012, 04:03 PM
:sad:

MarkoD
02-25-2012, 04:28 PM
I honestly have no idea who beat him up. The black shoulder tang isn't showing aggression to any of the other fish

christyf5
02-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Aw sorry to hear this, I was hoping he would pull through :neutral:

Proteus
02-25-2012, 04:41 PM
What else is in the tank
Marko

tim the toolman
02-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news. What a beautiful fish to lose.

ALang
02-25-2012, 06:16 PM
So sorry to hear that, Marko!
Was hoping that you can keep him long-term, and it was looking like you were able to do what the most of us couldn't.
Getting beat-up by some unknown fish and losing him is just such a waste.
RIP.