PDA

View Full Version : Another upgrade - looking for input

xnmuller
02-24-2012, 01:03 PM
As many of us have been doing as of late I am contemplating an upgraded of my lighting from the halides and power compacts I currently run (4x 96w PC & 3x 150w MH) to LED and I am looking for all those early adopters' input. I run a 135g tank 6' long 20" deep and 20" tall with center overflow. Currently the rock is set up in two islands on either side of the overflow. I have a mixed reef going with some LPS, softies and some SPS set up high. After my initial trolling of the forums and blogs and research on line I have decided to shortlist the following LED fixtures;

1. AI Sol (probably need 3 can I get away with two - one over each island)
2. Reefbrite XHO (probably need 3 can I get away with two - one over each island)
3. Vertex Illumilux (how many of these would I need 2 or 4)
4. Apollo Solar Blast Ultra (how many of these would I need 3 or 5)

Why these 4 you ask - chiefly they seemed like the best bang for your buck. I also considered Radions and Orphek, but honestly they just weren't in the budget.

Now I turn to you. What are the pros the cons, your thoughts, your advice, please and thnak you in advance? I think I'm leaning towrads the AI Sols.

mseepman
02-24-2012, 02:53 PM
I would entertain the idea of the Maxspect lights possibly too. One nice thing is that they can be aimed more easily than some of the others on your list, especially if you have two main islands.

Ryan
02-24-2012, 03:00 PM
You wont be able to get away with 2 or 3 ai over that tank because of their optics. There will be major dark spots. I would go Radions if you only want to have 2 but even then you will need a 3rd to get an even spread.

Dont cheap out either get atleast 4 AI or 2 radion and be done.

Ryan
02-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Not sure but Dave at concept had the maxspect, ai and radion over his tank in the shop might be worth checking out.

xnmuller
02-24-2012, 07:27 PM
I would entertain the idea of the Maxspect lights possibly too. One nice thing is that they can be aimed more easily than some of the others on your list, especially if you have two main islands.

Looks like my short list just got a little less short. Thanks for the info.

xnmuller
02-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Not sure but Dave at concept had the maxspect, ai and radion over his tank in the shop might be worth checking out.

Thats a great idea, i'ld love to see them in action up close and personal.

sphelps
02-24-2012, 08:57 PM
I don't know a ton about them but I find the new Reeftech LEDs quite intriguing.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2133528&highlight=check+out

rhody605
02-25-2012, 01:06 AM
I don't know a ton about them but I find the new Reeftech LEDs quite intriguing.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2133528&highlight=check+out

Are theses lights available in Canada. Sorry don't mean to hijack. But those lights looks to be nice option to start a new build with.

rhody605
02-25-2012, 03:37 AM
I contacted reef tech and they are pricey. I am building a 72x24 x 30 tall tank. And they suggested 3 units at $1300 us each. Ouch.

Ryan
02-25-2012, 04:32 AM
I contacted reef tech and they are pricey. I am building a 72x24 x 30 tall tank. And they suggested 3 units at $1300 us each. Ouch.

You could do that tank with 4 radions. A buddy (and canreefer) has 3 over his 60x30x24

rhody605
02-25-2012, 05:05 AM
Moneywise yes. It depends what you want. Reef tech has 8 different led colors. All of which are individually controllable. I'm not trying to promote it. Just trying to show a different viewpoint. IMO. A DIY fixture made by some one of good handiness combined with "Modular led". And say a profilux should be just as controllable.