PDA

View Full Version : Kalk and CA reactor

whaase
03-03-2004, 01:06 AM
Ok, I'm going to ask a dredded question. I don't understand what the difference is between Dripping kalk (or kalk reactor) and a calcium reactor? I've read over old threads and it seems as if 2 give you the same end result... higher calcium. If there is a thread that explains this better please direct me to it! :lol: Otherwise, please explain. :smile:

Thanks, Walter

BCOrchidGuy
03-03-2004, 01:56 AM
Walter, the way I understand it is that a Ca reactor does a better job of increasing and maintaining calcium in a high demand situation but kalk does a better job of maintaining Alk. If you've got softies etc no hard coral and not a large demand for calcium a kalk reactor should meet your needs. I'm no expert though so I'm hoping that I understand the relationship/differences.

Doug

StirCrazy
03-03-2004, 02:36 AM
a couple other points, a Ca reactor uses low PH to dissolve media so it has the ability to slightly lower your tank PH. Also it replaces a broad range of minerals which are released from the media as it dissolved. So it replaces more than just Ca.

A kalk reactor can increase your PH and is a much simpler unit. Kalk also can precipitate phosphate out of solution but I am now undecided as to weather this is a good thing or not.

I use a kalk reactor myself right now only because I broke my Ca reactor in the move.. when I build a new one I will be running both again.

Steve

whaase
03-03-2004, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the reply's, I think I know which way I'll go!

Walter

BCOrchidGuy
03-03-2004, 03:12 AM
Steve, I read somewhere that a tiny bit, (in trace form) phosphates can be good, is this why you're now undecided? I understand that if it's to much phosphate it can hurt your SPS growth.

Doug

StirCrazy
03-03-2004, 03:32 AM
Steve, I read somewhere that a tiny bit, (in trace form) phosphates can be good, is this why you're now undecided? I understand that if it's to much phosphate it can hurt your SPS growth.

Doug

no I am undecided because if kalk precipitates the phosphates out of your tank it goes to the sand bed and accumulates. this prevents it from being binded with organics and allowing the skimmer to remove it. so which is better removing it or allowing it to build up on your sand bed where bacteria can release it and allow it to fuel algae outbreaks on the sand?

Steve

BCOrchidGuy
03-03-2004, 04:55 AM
Ohh.. does it always go into the sand? Would carbon remove it if you were dripping kalk?

Doug