PDA

View Full Version : Hard starting Actinics

TANGOMAN
03-03-2004, 12:56 AM
I've just completed a new canopy and I've installed a pair of 40W NO actinics. They're drivin' me nuts ! Will they fire, or won't they. Wiggle this bulb, massage that bulb...oh, there they go. :evil:.
I recall a similar thread about actinics a while back. I don't know if it was here though... :confused: .
I've had similar problems in the past on other units too. It seems once the bulbs have burned for a while they're ok. I used a "Sylvania" ballast, tar. I've put in some "household" bulbs and they fired immediately so I think I'm safe ruling out a poor connection.
Any new developments on "stubborn" actinics...?

StirCrazy
03-03-2004, 02:43 AM
some tar ballasts require a grounding plane to fire the tubes properly.. this can be as simple as a wire run above the bulbs from one end to the other but not touching the bulb. some older electricians probably remembers more about this as it isn't very common anymore as far as I know of.

Steve

Skimmerking
03-03-2004, 03:20 AM
what i have done is those HAgen glo mats that i have on my 75 gal
40 w actinic bulbs they have the end caps along with the ballast and you insert the bulb and that s it ..

you get are a elecrtonic ballast with the end capps all connected.

Mike

Bob I
03-03-2004, 03:24 AM
some tar ballasts require a grounding plane to fire the tubes properly.. this can be as simple as a wire run above the bulbs from one end to the other but not touching the bulb. some older electricians probably remembers more about this as it isn't very common anymore as far as I know of.

Steve

I had to refer to "Application of Electrical Construction" by Clidero and Sharpe - printed in 1975 for this quote "Rapid start fixtures, which were developed after the pre-heat and instant start types, take advantage of the voltage that exists between the cathodes and the metal frame of the fixture. For this reason all rapid start fixtures must be grounded. Otherwise in cool weather they will often fail to start. :rolleyes:

StirCrazy
03-03-2004, 03:34 AM

Steve

I had to refer to "Application of Electrical Construction" by Clidero and Sharpe - printed in 1975 for this quote "Rapid start fixtures, which were developed after the pre-heat and instant start types, take advantage of the voltage that exists between the cathodes and the metal frame of the fixture. For this reason all rapid start fixtures must be grounded. Otherwise in cool weather they will often fail to start. :rolleyes:

thanks Bob, I couldn't remember what kind of ballast it was off hand.

Steve

TANGOMAN
03-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Ya', thanks Bob... :confused: . So this theory states the ballast must grounded ? Is this refering to the "grounding plane". I'm eatin' this up cause it would explain why rubbing the tubes gets them to fire...static electricity ? I've tried grounding the ballast, attaching a ground wire to the bulb :confused: . Shall I connect a wire above the tube and connect to the ballast and the ground the whole unit...?
This book ya' got there Bob. Ya' sure it wasn't "re-printed" in 1975. I thought you hung around with that guy who liked to fly kites during electrical storms... :lol:

Bob I
03-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Ya', thanks Bob... :confused: . So this theory states the ballast must grounded ? Is this refering to the "grounding plane". I'm eatin' this up cause it would explain why rubbing the tubes gets them to fire...static electricity ? I've tried grounding the ballast, attaching a ground wire to the bulb :confused: . Shall I connect a wire above the tube and connect to the ballast and the ground the whole unit...?
This book ya' got there Bob. Ya' sure it wasn't "re-printed" in 1975. I thought you hung around with that guy who liked to fly kites during electrical storms... :lol:

OK all smart a***s remarks aside. It is the bulb that needs a ground plane. That's why a grounded reflector should fix the problem. I recall building strip lights in the late seventies. I was using 30" tubes. The tubes always required rubbing to start them. No off colour jokes now. :mrgreen: