PDA

View Full Version : Temp and Salt Water Questions

LeanneP
02-23-2012, 08:27 PM
My tank is doing great again thanks to everyone's help on here. I am just wondering what temp everyone keeps there tanks at? and is a 2 degree fluxuation too much throughout the day? I have halide lights which as you know give a lot of heat. I have one fan and am just wondering if I should get another to keep the temp more stable. Right now I just have fish. If I add corals would the temp still be the same?
Also wondering how long people mix their salt water for-24 or 48 hours?
Thanks for all the help for the newbie!!
Leanne

Aquattro
02-23-2012, 08:33 PM
I keep mine at 76.5. Generally anywhere from 75 - 79 is good. 2 degrees swing is fine for fish or coral.
I mix my salt for a week, so not much help there. I'd let it mix with a good pump at least 6 hours, others might suggest longer

Aquaticguy11
02-26-2012, 05:15 AM
I've heard from a few sources that keeping your temperature a little warmer (around 79F) is best for coral growth. 2 degree changes throughout the day should be fine, but keeping it as stable as possible is best. As for mixing salt, I'd keep it mixing for at least 24 hours. This will make 100% sure that everything has dissolved properly.

FragIt Dan
02-26-2012, 05:57 AM
Ideal temp depends on the corals, some have shown max growth rates at 79 while others peak at 76. I have a mix of corals so set my heaters for 78. My tanks creep up to 81 and sometime 82 but that is about the top end of my comfort zone. Twenty-four hours mix time for salt should be fine, but it depends on your salt and how much water movement you have in your mixing bucket. A good rule of thumb is to give it ~12 hours more mixing after all of the salt is dissolved. In a pinch, I have only let it mix for half an hour. Some salts dissolve better than others though.

FragIt Dan

janalta
02-28-2012, 02:27 AM
OK...here's another temp question.
Since moving my heater into my sump, it's dropped the temp in my DT down to 75-76....should I be throwing a second heater in there ?

Reefie
02-28-2012, 02:45 AM
I'd suggest keeping the heater in the DT, if you wanted to you could add a 2nd heater to the sump. It's the Temp in the DT that is more important.

TimT
02-28-2012, 02:53 AM
Hi,

76 to 79 is a good temp range. I keep my tank at 77. It is best to try to minimize temp swings as they can trigger an ick outbreak, especially if you have added a new fish recently and not quarantined it. IMO the key to a successful reef tank is stability in all the parameters.

I mix all my water for 24hrs and heat it when dissolving the salt mix. Be sure to roll the bucket around to thoroughly mix the salts inside it before using it.

As for the DT dropping temp when the heater was moved to the sump. I suspect the return pump is not strong enough.

Cheers,
Tim

janalta
02-28-2012, 06:47 AM
The return pump is plenty strong enough...I suspect I just need a better heater.
I was hoping not to have to put it back in the DT...trying to get everything out of there and ended up having to move my skimmer back this morning as the sump isn't deep enough for this one.:sad:

FitoPharmer
02-29-2012, 02:43 AM
The easiest way I know to tell if your heater is not powerful enough: If it is turned on 24/7 and your tank or tanks never reach optimal temperature. Thankfully almost all heaters have a running light.