PDA

View Full Version : Help with ID

BCOrchidGuy
03-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Okay I've got an invert that's growing rather quickly. I'm not sure if it's some kind of sponge (seems to like light) No algae grows on it, it has a look and feel of very thin paper. It's water filled and if you wave your hand close to it, it will flutter (poor discription) as if it were air filled. It's a lime green/flesh colour. Any thoughts?
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/420IMGP0961-med.JPG?1583

Thanks, Doug

MitchM
03-02-2004, 08:13 PM
That's just crazy! :eek:
No other material/skeleton, other than just liquid filled flesh? Any polyps, tentacles? Any different activity/inflation/deflation at night?
How long did it take to grow that large?
Has your hand turned green yet from touching it? :mrgreen:

Mitch

BCOrchidGuy
03-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Mitch it's been about 4 months for it to grow that big. it has a few vent type openings similar to a sponge. It will deflate if bumped etc but it will fill up again quickly. Sometimes I've noticed a mucous type thing just after feeding the tank but not often. I'm baffled by it.

Doug

Quinn
03-02-2004, 10:22 PM
Well it doesn't look like the ones I've seen, but from your description, how about a tunicate?

golden69_ca
03-02-2004, 10:35 PM
did some reading in my library it seem like it from the ascidian family .there more like a sea squirt than tunicate . ihave a few diferant types in my tank not the exact type you have . if it gets larger and you want to get ride of some id be interested . :biggrin:

Quinn
03-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Uhh... sea squirts are tunicates... :razz: Perhaps Christy or another individual with more knowledge of biology could elaborate, but my understanding is that sea squirts are a type of ascidian which is a type of tunicate.

christyf5
03-02-2004, 11:12 PM
Yup, tunicates and sea squirts and ascidians are the same thing. Ascidian is the latin name, sea squirt is the common name and Tunicata is the subphylum I believe.

This doesn't look like a sea squirt to me tho. I'll check my books when I get home after work. I think I've seen something like this before though.

Christy :)

Quinn
03-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Doug why not ask Shimek on his forum and maybe email Fenner? Their scientific practice aside, they are pretty good with IDs. :biggrin:

EmilyB
03-02-2004, 11:35 PM
I think it looks like asteropus sarassinorum (starpore sponge)- baensch atlas volume 2 page 28?

StirCrazy
03-02-2004, 11:52 PM
looks cool, but if it is a sponge and you are holding it out of the water, there is a chance you just killed it. :eek:

Steve

Diomedes
03-03-2004, 01:03 AM
Its a colonial tunicate.

Stephen

BCOrchidGuy
03-03-2004, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the replys folks I wanted to see if any of the experts here could identify it. I'm going to look into each idea. I really appreciate the input.

Doug

BCOrchidGuy
03-03-2004, 02:26 AM
Stephen, I did a google search on colonial tunicates and found "Encrusted social tunicates" found a pic of what looks very similar to what I've got. Thanks, very cool.
http://www.photoquest.com/traveling_the_world/articles/travel4.shtml about halfway down the page on the right side appears to be very similar to what I've got. I also found
http://www.habitas.org.uk/marinelife/tunicata/botsch_p.htm which appears very similar as well.

Thanks Doug

Quinn
03-03-2004, 02:39 AM
Yup, looks like it to me. My tunicates are just wee little things, and translucent. :confused:

BCOrchidGuy
03-03-2004, 02:42 AM
Quinn I've been lucky with tunicates, I had rose coloured ones and white ones in my 90 gallon, now these.. the picture doesn't do the colour justice they are a very bright lime green.

Doug

EmilyB
03-03-2004, 07:19 AM
My tunicates are just wee little things, and translucent. :confused:

:eek:

Buccaneer
03-03-2004, 01:39 PM
My tunicates are just wee little things, and translucent. :confused:

:eek:

:rofl: