PDA

View Full Version : zoas cupping/trumpeting

Reefgoat
02-22-2012, 08:48 PM
When I get a new Zoa and its fringe is reaching up towards the light in a cup or trumpet shape is it becasue of too much or too little light? I think it has to do with the light levels but if it isn't the light what might it be?

uslanja
02-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Hi Reefgoat! It could be feeding. Anything fed to the tank or stirred up? Can you post a pic? In the past whenever I have moved a zoa into too much light it would shorten its stock and flatten out. Then it would resume a more expected posture once the daylight went off and the sunset cycle began.

reefwars
02-22-2012, 09:08 PM
needs light try placing the higher:P

ScubaSteve
02-22-2012, 09:53 PM
When I first read the title I thought you said your zoas were crumping... and I was like, your zoas are going all...
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/43778_o.gif

I guess not. So to be more helpful, yes they need more light. They will also sometimes do that if they are in too high of a flow.

Reefgoat
02-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Lol, crumping. Man, just think of how much I could get per polyp!

Thanks for the responses. I will watch for them responding to feeding that way, but I think in this case it may be not enough light. I always worry about putting them under too much light but I only have t5ho's so maybe that's not too likely to happen. I'll also watch the flow to see if that's a factor.

reefwars
02-23-2012, 06:10 AM
Lol, crumping. Man, just think of how much I could get per polyp!

Thanks for the responses. I will watch for them responding to feeding that way, but I think in this case it may be not enough light. I always worry about putting them under too much light but I only have t5ho's so maybe that's not too likely to happen. I'll also watch the flow to see if that's a factor.

its always best to start them in lower light and move them up afterwards if need be as opposed to melting them and then tring to move them lower later:)cheers