PDA

View Full Version : Naso Tang Sick?

TaioneReefer
02-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Hey Canreef,

Past few days I noticed my Naso has started to get skinnier and skinnier, and today he just dont seem to be swimming too happily(almost as if hes wobbling side to side unbalanced)

as well as his stomach is alot skinnier like the yellow tang when i first got him.

all the other fishes are fine, just the Naso, he ate a bit today, but didnt eat as aggressive as he used to

I also did a water change today.
and the nitrite, nitrate and ammonia is all 0
Thanks.

The Grizz
02-22-2012, 12:02 PM
My blonde naso did the exact same thing, just stopped eating for no appearent reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefme
02-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Strange same as mine! Yesterday morning my naso doesn't eats, came home after work and he is dead.

reefme
02-22-2012, 01:35 PM
On Monday I changed carbon, clean the skimmer and add prodibio (biodigest/bioptim) also feed them with mysis and brine shrim. It is a folwer tank.

TaioneReefer
02-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Strange same as mine! Yesterday morning my naso doesn't eats, came home after work and he is dead.

=S sorry for your loss

atm, i still cant figure out what the symptom may be.
been surfing the whole canreef and other forums, and my thoughts are internal parasite, or ich but just hasnt fully kicked in.

naesco
02-22-2012, 06:45 PM
What size of tank do you have your tangs in
How long has the tank been running and ane when did you add the tang.
What condition where the fish: no spots or tears, bright eyes, plumb, interested in you as much as you are in them.
what did you feed them daily

TaioneReefer
02-22-2012, 07:12 PM
What size of tank do you have your tangs in
How long has the tank been running and ane when did you add the tang.
What condition where the fish: no spots or tears, bright eyes, plumb, interested in you as much as you are in them.
what did you feed them daily

in a 125 5 feet tank

tanks been running for a month, it came with the tank, i transported Everything including the water it was in.

the fish has no signs of illness at all, other than the pinched stomach.

I feed him nori

I went to a LFS and they said the naso has no hope if he doesnt eat, as the medi needs to be consumed with food.

naesco
02-23-2012, 03:49 AM
Naso tangs are difficult tangs to keep. As all posters experienced they up and get sick for no apparent reason and die of starvation in front of you.

These tangs grow large and they need the large long 6 ft. minimum tanks that allow them to swim and also avoid the strees of having tankmates in close confinement.

They like highly oxygenated tanks therefore have a powerhead operating near the surface of the water.

They also eat brown algae so see if you can get your hands on some, soak it in garlic extreeme and place it near where it is hanging out.

Feed the other fish on the side of the tank.

Good Luck

TaioneReefer
02-23-2012, 04:36 AM
Naso tangs are difficult tangs to keep. As all posters experienced they up and get sick for no apparent reason and die of starvation in front of you.

These tangs grow large and they need the large long 6 ft. minimum tanks that allow them to swim and also avoid the strees of having tankmates in close confinement.

They like highly oxygenated tanks therefore have a powerhead operating near the surface of the water.

They also eat brown algae so see if you can get your hands on some, soak it in garlic extreeme and place it near where it is hanging out.

Feed the other fish on the side of the tank.

Good Luck

Ok, will do. for tonight i m going to put in more airtration, and if it still doesnt get well then I m going to QT it and try to save it anyway I can.

also, It seems as if his micro bubble spots are getting worse.. could it be ich? And internal parasite a the same time?

would Ich cause a fish not to eat though?

naesco
02-23-2012, 04:46 AM
If he has white spots on him and he is not eating you will not be able to feed him garlic soaked food
Set up a QT and medicate him with formalin or a marinefish medication that contains formalin. Note that formalin is carcinogenic and therefore be very careful in handling it and clean everything carefully.

The other fish in your aquarium can be treated with garlic extreme soaked dry foods, feeding very often and only garlic extract soaked foods.

TaioneReefer
02-23-2012, 05:06 AM
If he has white spots on him and he is not eating you will not be able to feed him garlic soaked food
Set up a QT and medicate him with formalin or a marinefish medication that contains formalin. Note that formalin is carcinogenic and therefore be very careful in handling it and clean everything carefully.

The other fish in your aquarium can be treated with garlic extreme soaked dry foods, feeding very often and only garlic extract soaked foods.

so I should get formalin? what about prazipro as it was brought up by another member
I just checked J&L site and they dont have formalin, is there anything that could substitute it?

I have started feeding all the other fish garlic soaked nori, pellets and frozen food. ( does doing so prevent them from getting ill like the naso?)

Thanks alot naesco

naesco
02-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Formalin is found in Rid Ich I believe, and Quick Cure and X Ich and Formalite medication
Prazipro is for worms

TaioneReefer
02-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Formalin is found in Rid Ich I believe, and Quick Cure and X Ich and Formalite medication
Prazipro is for worms

Got it !

but is it possible to treat both at once?
as it has ich And it also has pinched stomach which could lead to internal parasite?

in my QT, should i use New water or water from the tank?

Thanks alot !

TaioneReefer
02-23-2012, 12:05 PM
I guess its perfect timing, first floor is soon to be renovated, so I had to move my tank. ( the 120 and 65 )
which means I ll be able to take all the fish out and QT them.

Aquattro
02-23-2012, 12:12 PM
chloroquine can be used with praziquantel (Prazipro) as well..

TaioneReefer
02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
chloroquine can be used with praziquantel (Prazipro) as well..

Hey, which medi is chloroquine?
I tried searching it on J&L as well and had no results.

Thanks

Aquattro
02-23-2012, 12:30 PM
It's not normally available without prescription, but I've got an ad up now selling some.

Aquattro
02-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Particularly good article in post #6 here

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18856667

TaioneReefer
02-23-2012, 12:43 PM
I would take it, but problem is.. by the time this item arrives, the naso is probably gone =S

Aquattro
02-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Ya, that's the problem I had treating all my fish. By the time I got the meds, I'd lost half my fish. Something to keep on hand for the future!

TaioneReefer
02-23-2012, 12:54 PM
yeah.. I m in the middle of debate, if I should just sell all the fish that are in the 65 gallon as well, hate it when fish gets sick, seems like theres always no hope.

Now my blue tang has it as well I m pretty sure, even though hes still eating. my yellow tang seems completely fine. those are the only 3 in the tank. other than some inverts

Aquattro
02-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Selling sick fish isn't going to make you popular :) If one is sick, chances are they're all sick.

Aquattro
02-23-2012, 12:57 PM
FWIW, I was able to save the rest of my fish once treated. None of the nice and expensive fish of course, but....:razz:

TaioneReefer
02-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Selling sick fish isn't going to make you popular :) If one is sick, chances are they're all sick.

sorry, if it was misunderstood.

the Tangs are in my 120 ( naso, hippo and yellow )

while the gobies and clownfish are all in my 65 gallon.
and no they dont share the same water and theres no illness in the 65 gallon.

Its just Me going under debate if i should sell them as well, so I dont have to deal with these things in the future. and just have a coral only tank.

Aquattro
02-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Ah, gotcha. I'd think carefully on that. My tank is currently empty of fish and a really nice coral only tank. It's just not the same without the fish swimming around...I have to wait 2 months before I can add fish back; it's going to be a long 2 months :(

TaioneReefer
02-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Ah, gotcha. I'd think carefully on that. My tank is currently empty of fish and a really nice coral only tank. It's just not the same without the fish swimming around...I have to wait 2 months before I can add fish back; it's going to be a long 2 months :(

yeah thats exactly what I thought too.. a tank with nothing but corals seems boring. and some corals dont even move..

If I cant find any other solution for the tangs, I just may buy your chloroquine as a back up, IF i decide to keep my fishes.

Aquattro
02-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Sure, just let me know. It's a limited time thing, but I have lots, and not likely to sell out too quickly!

TaioneReefer
02-23-2012, 08:19 PM
well.. it died

Aquattro
02-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Sorry to hear..