PDA

View Full Version : Help! My Vertex Skimmer is actin crazy!

Timbits
02-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Hi guys i really need your help, i have a Vertex IN-250 and lately its been acting crazy! Basically, its not skimming and fills the cup too fast. I tried adjusting the air intake and lowering the water level and it seems to help a bit but now i have it on almost open and the water level is like half of the suggested operating level.

I don't know what to do and it's driving me crazy!

Please help!

Snufflupagus
02-22-2012, 12:48 AM
Have you dosed anything lately? I find sometimes with mine it goes crazy after dosing. It takes sometime to work itself out. At these times, I take the little plug off the skimmer cup and run a hose to a bucket until it works itself out. It does this after water changes sometimes too.

azulikit
02-22-2012, 12:51 AM
When the intake is tight how many turns are you opening it?

Timbits
02-22-2012, 12:56 AM
Have you dosed anything lately? I find sometimes with mine it goes crazy after dosing. It takes sometime to work itself out. At these times, I take the little plug off the skimmer cup and run a hose to a bucket until it works itself out. It does this after water changes sometimes too.

i know it goes crazy after dosing or a water change but lately its been doing this every day it's pretty ridiculous i unplug it, turn it back on the next day and it still does it :twised:

Timbits
02-22-2012, 12:58 AM
When the intake is tight how many turns are you opening it?

you mean on close? initially it was just a lil to the left, just one tiny turn but now i have it almost all the way open

Timbits
02-22-2012, 01:03 AM
i have a vertex IN-80 on another tank and that one never has any problems. even after water changes, it never acts crazy. when i do a water change on this tank, the skimmer just bubbles just under the neck for a lil while and then starts skimming again, never overflows

Timbits
02-22-2012, 01:05 AM
would high nitrates be a cause? or too much top off water added to sump at once??

azulikit
02-22-2012, 01:24 AM
Silicone air intake tube is free of any debris? Sometimes mine fills up with evaporated salt causing it to perform unusual. What water height is the skimmer sitting in?

Top off water will do it if you adding to it to fast. If you don't have a ATO you need to add water very slowly. Put some markings for water height on so you don't fill up the sump too much.

Snufflupagus
02-22-2012, 01:27 AM
Hmmm, interesting. Have you cleaned the pump and air hose lately? I took mine apart after it acted up the last time, cleaned everything in a vinegar soak, run the skimmer in the bath tub in vinegar water for a few hours and put it back in the sump and it seemed to solve the problem. I haven't had an outbreak since.

Timbits
02-22-2012, 01:32 AM
Silicone air intake tube is free of any debris? Sometimes mine fills up with evaporated salt causing it to perform unusual. What water height is the skimmer sitting in?

Top off water will do it if you adding to it to fast. If you don't have a ATO you need to add water very slowly. Put some markings for water height on so you don't fill up the sump too much.

it is currently in about 9-10". thx i will check the silicone air intake tube.
hmmm ok it might be the top off water then i had a feeling it might be that, i do have a marking for water level but i have very high evaporation so i add a lot of top off water every day and i do add it very fast at once. i will add it more slowly and see if it helps thanks

Timbits
02-22-2012, 01:35 AM
Hmmm, interesting. Have you cleaned the pump and air hose lately? I took mine apart after it acted up the last time, cleaned everything in a vinegar soak, run the skimmer in the bath tub in vinegar water for a few hours and put it back in the sump and it seemed to solve the problem. I haven't had an outbreak since.

no i haven't, i will try that if i'm still having problems if my top off water is not the case. thanks

azulikit
02-22-2012, 01:36 AM
IMO you need to have the skimmer in about 6-7 inches of water.

I will almost guarantee it is because of you pouring top off water in to fast.

Good luck!

Snufflupagus
02-22-2012, 01:38 AM
IMO you need to have the skimmer in about 6-7 inches of water.

I will almost gaurentee it is because of you pouring top off water in to fast.

Good luck!

+1 I agree, I have mine in about 7" of water.

Timbits
02-22-2012, 01:42 AM
Really? the IN-250? I thought it needed to be in at least 13" of water.... i had it in 12" initially for a long time without any problems.......

azulikit
02-22-2012, 01:44 AM
http://www.aquacave.com/Manuals/Vertex-INSkimmer-Manual.pdf

6-8 inches

Timbits
02-22-2012, 02:02 AM
http://www.aquacave.com/Manuals/Vertex-INSkimmer-Manual.pdf

6-8 inches

Thank you for posting that! That might be the problem then... :redface: