PDA

View Full Version : How to extract a bad worm?

reefgirl189
02-21-2012, 03:50 AM
I found what I'm assuming is a bad worm attached to the underside of my brain coral. He's got a hole he goes in to on the brain's base. He looks like a bristleworm and he's a reddish color. Not to mention that he's also creepy and gross. Does anyone have any tips on how I could extract him without harming the brain? I could burn him with a torch or stick a toothpick in his hole to stab him violently but that's the best idea I can think of so far and either one may harm the brain coral.

fishytime
02-21-2012, 04:01 AM
for the most part bristle worms are beneficial scavengers.....chances are you have way more than just the one you are seeing......if you are dead set on getting it out, you could try a bottle trap......or just take the violent route:twised:.....just dont touch it with your bare hands, use tweezers or gloves to handle them

reefwars
02-21-2012, 04:07 AM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150376464024446

:p

jagermaier
02-21-2012, 04:08 AM
What your describing sounds like a fire worm, a type of bristleworm but not reef safe. You might want to get a wrasse or something that eats them.

reefgirl189
02-21-2012, 04:21 AM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150376464024446

:p

Already tried this! He's way too smart and saw me coming from a mile away. He was also much faster than the worm in this video. That was a cool video though, minus the disgusting wriggling worm! lol

reefgirl189
02-21-2012, 04:28 AM
for the most part bristle worms are beneficial scavengers.....chances are you have way more than just the one you are seeing......if you are dead set on getting it out, you could try a bottle trap......or just take the violent route:twised:.....just dont touch it with your bare hands, use tweezers or gloves to handle them

You could be right about having more than one but I hope not! I can't say for sure that my LR had none but I really don't think it did - we pretty much killed it all in the tank transfer of 8 hours in an unheated trailer in -12 weather. I really think this guy hitchhiked in on the brain. The vendor had some worms in a different tank that we could see and I didn't think that one could live on the bottom of a brain so I didn't quarantine him long enough to see it. If it was any other coral I'd throw it out but I love this coral and he's my favorite so I gotta try something.

reefgirl189
02-21-2012, 04:29 AM
What your describing sounds like a fire worm, a type of bristleworm but not reef safe. You might want to get a wrasse or something that eats them.

That's a good idea, if he leaves my shrimp alone. I'll have to start looking. Thanks!

whatcaneyedo
02-21-2012, 04:37 AM
You could try giving the brain coral a Coral RX dip. Its suppose to drive bristle worms out or kill them among other things. Or at least thats what the bottle says.

hillegom
02-21-2012, 04:41 AM
Put that brain in a one gal bucket of tank water. Then use a syringe or turkey baster and blast some club soda into that hole. He won't like it and come out, into the bucket. Voila!

fishytime
02-21-2012, 04:48 AM
You could be right about having more than one but I hope not! I can't say for sure that my LR had none but I really don't think it did - we pretty much killed it all in the tank transfer of 8 hours in an unheated trailer in -12 weather. I really think this guy hitchhiked in on the brain. The vendor had some worms in a different tank that we could see and I didn't think that one could live on the bottom of a brain so I didn't quarantine him long enough to see it. If it was any other coral I'd throw it out but I love this coral and he's my favorite so I gotta try something.

pretty much all live rock shipments spend more than a day out of water in nothing more than wet newspaper.....amazing what can survive those conditions:wink: