PDA

View Full Version : Tang problems

dwerbs87
02-20-2012, 05:38 PM
So I have my tank up and running, looking great. I had purchased a yellow tang about a month ago and then last week a regal tang came available. The tank is 96 inches long and the two tangs are quite different shapes and families. But the yellow tang will chased the smaller hippo every once in awhile. No damage has been done just some flared fins and charges. Do you think this may calm down or will it only get worse?

fishytime
02-20-2012, 05:46 PM
with most tangs there is usually a 3-5 day "jump in" period.......where the new or smaller tang gets told who is boss......sometimes there is no aggression and sometimes the aggression continues after the 3-5 days to the point of death for one of the fish.......completely depends on the individual fish.....

cuz
02-20-2012, 06:11 PM
my yellow tangs a jerk to all new comers!!
If I'd know what he'd be like I'd have put him in last!!

usually if a new fish can deal with the yellow for the first 24hrs everythings fine after that..

naesco
02-20-2012, 06:42 PM
So I have my tank up and running, looking great. I had purchased a yellow tang about a month ago and then last week a regal tang came available. The tank is 96 inches long and the two tangs are quite different shapes and families. But the yellow tang will chased the smaller hippo every once in awhile. No damage has been done just some flared fins and charges. Do you think this may calm down or will it only get worse?

It will calm down. Feed from both ends of the tank so that they are not competing for food.

When adding a new tang it is best to add it with the lights off in a dark room. Keep the lights off for 24 hours and the room dark.

Your new tang is an ich magnet so please ensure that you are soaking dry food in garlic extract. Feed more often and only garlic soaked foods.
Good Luck

phreezee
02-21-2012, 06:28 PM
You'll be fine as your tank is definitely long enough for these two, and it is common to see them together in tanks.

martinmcnally
02-21-2012, 07:01 PM
I've heard you can place a mirror in the tank for a few days. The yellow should obsess over that and forget all about the new regal.