PDA

View Full Version : Help-!! Fish Dying!!

btymens
02-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Went to bed last last and everything was fine. This morning I awoke to see a dead yellow tang, dead blue tang and a dead cleaner. MY two clowns are still alive along with a dasmel, a bangai and a fire shrimp along with numerous snails..Any input would be welcomed

sully08
02-20-2012, 02:49 PM
first things first and check all water parameters

Aquattro
02-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Symptoms? Remaining fish ok? Marks on any of the dead ones? spots, flakes, powdery appearance? Anything leak into the tank overnight? Pumps and powerheads all intact?

Cal_stir
02-20-2012, 02:51 PM
low oxygen, high alk, temp., salinity, high co2, is the water clear?

btymens
02-20-2012, 02:57 PM
checking water levels now, water is clear..the clown fish face looks pale aand seem to be breathing quickly

btymens
02-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Symptoms? Remaining fish ok? Marks on any of the dead ones? spots, flakes, powdery appearance? Anything leak into the tank overnight? Pumps and powerheads all intact?

no marks on the dead fish or flakes..etc..corals seem to be ok so far everything is intact

sphelps
02-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Was there a power failure last night? Did anything turn off? My guess is low O2 since corals seem fine.

btymens
02-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Was there a power failure last night? Did anything turn off? My guess is low O2 since corals seem fine.
power did go off last night here in edmonton for about 30 mins..and also this morning for about 20 mins

naesco
02-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Immediately put an air bubbler in the tank and place the powerhead near the surface of the water.

What is the size of your tank?
How many months has the tank been running?
What is the ammonia level?
Did you place your hands in the tank to do anything or did you add anything?

btymens
02-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Immediately put an air bubbler in the tank and place the powerhead near the surface of the water.

What is the size of your tank?
How many months has the tank been running?
What is the ammonia level?
Did you place your hands in the tank to do anything or did you add anything?
is a 90 gal tank, running for a year now, did a water change yesterday and checking ammonia level now

sphelps
02-20-2012, 03:14 PM
power did go off last night here in edmonton for about 30 mins..and also this morning for about 20 mins

30min isn't long enough to cause problems but it's probably related some how. Are you certain power was only out for that long? Does your equipment start up properly after power outages?

paddyob
02-20-2012, 03:25 PM
first things first and check all water parameters

Tank MAY not be accurate to test as dead animals pollute a tank fast.

Check temperature, aeration and salinity.

subman
02-20-2012, 03:44 PM
I would also change some water if you have it ready, if not get it ready asap. Check flow it sounds like low o2 levels

btymens
02-20-2012, 03:55 PM
30min isn't long enough to cause problems but it's probably related some how. Are you certain power was only out for that long? Does your equipment start up properly after power outages?

I as far as i know, I was at home when it happen..

btymens
02-20-2012, 03:57 PM
I would also change some water if you have it ready, if not get it ready asap. Check flow it sounds like low o2 levels
did a water change and i have placed a wave generator near the surface to create air bubbles...but now I'm screwed because its after 10 am here and i'm supposed to be at work...fml

btymens
02-20-2012, 04:00 PM
did a water change but now i'm screwed i need to go to work now fml i placed a wave generator near the surface to created air bubbles to add o2 to the water. the remaining fish seem to have a little bit more energy and colour.. I'll let you guys know how it goes

ashr
02-20-2012, 04:55 PM
good luck :) Hope it works out..

Sorry for your loss though :( no good

untamed
02-21-2012, 01:11 AM
Low oxygen. That would be a guess, except for the knowledge of power failures which make that guess an almost certainty.

When you get running, you have to simulate that power outage again. Watch what happens when you turn the power back on. Do ALL the pumps come back on? Does the skimmer come back on? Do you have a skimmer? If not, this episode suggests that you should because they will add O2 to the water, especially after a power outage.

The other thing you might need is a battery operated pump that will bubble or move water during power outs.

reef684
02-21-2012, 01:32 AM
Take a sample of your water into the fish store, they may charge you $10.00. Atleast you will know everything.

RedCoralEdmonton
02-21-2012, 02:09 AM
Probably too late now, but we don't charge anything to test your water, if you ever need a second opinion, feel free to come in.

Related to your post though, I would bet money on a O2 shortage, do you have a sump? If not, this is probably the cause, tanks without sumps can run fine under optimal conditions for years, but all it takes is that momentary lapse in stability to throw it off..... As others have stated, try and simulate the event and see what happens.

Steve

btymens
02-21-2012, 02:15 AM
Low oxygen. That would be a guess, except for the knowledge of power failures which make that guess an almost certainty.

When you get running, you have to simulate that power outage again. Watch what happens when you turn the power back on. Do ALL the pumps come back on? Does the skimmer come back on? Do you have a skimmer? If not, this episode suggests that you should because they will add O2 to the water, especially after a power outage.

The other thing you might need is a battery operated pump that will bubble or move water during power outs.

it was low o2.. after the power outage everything came on, skimmer and all. My remaining fish have pulled through and seem to have lots of energy compared to this am. Tough lesson learned.. I am looking into a battery operated pump though..

btymens
02-21-2012, 02:24 AM
Probably too late now, but we don't charge anything to test your water, if you ever need a second opinion, feel free to come in.

Related to your post though, I would bet money on a O2 shortage, do you have a sump? If not, this is probably the cause, tanks without sumps can run fine under optimal conditions for years, but all it takes is that momentary lapse in stability to throw it off..... As others have stated, try and simulate the event and see what happens.

Steve
Trying it now, however one of the fish that died was a blue tang which I bought from you..Let me know when you get any more in stock...