PDA

View Full Version : 20g newbie

newbie2
02-20-2012, 03:43 AM
Hello all,

Just thought I would introduce myself. I am new to saltwater but have three 90g freshwater tanks with cichlids (GT, oscar, and a planted geo setup). A week ago I decided to take the plunge after lurking on many saltwater sites and use my spare 20g to do it.

I am thinking of ending up geared mostly towards softies and maybe some LPS in the long run. Right now I am a week into my cycle with my 20g running with an AC30, and 2 radion 425's. Have about 20lbs liverock and livesand in the tank at the moment. I am basically spending all my time on the internet searching a million different things, running around in circles. haha.

Really, the last straw to switching a tank to saltwater was visiting my insurance company in Ponoka and seeing the awesome saltwater tank setup there (turns out its Ponokareefers tank - told you I was lurking. haha)

Just debating lighting. Kind of like the Maxspect Mezzaro LED's. Anyone have these on a "nano" size tank?

Also, If I keep the tank lightly stocked - right now thinking a clownfish, royal gramma, and maybe a barnacle blenny - do I need a protein skimmer? I was thinking of eventually building an AC70 refugium but will start running out of space if I need this and a skimmer.

Anyways, just saying hello and I love the site!

Nano
02-20-2012, 03:47 AM
welcome to canreef :)
nice to see some one else jumping on the LED bandwagon!

troni
02-20-2012, 04:26 AM
Welcome! I'm pretty new myself, and from what I've seen your other 90s will become salt soon enough. I also have a 20g, just a heads up after your cycle is done you will get brown algae break out and some green hair algae I've read is normal.

There's a lot of debate over skimming a small tank. If you can I would. First thing i'd suggest is a sump. It'll hide everything plus you can put in a refuge aswell. Looks a lot cleaner.

newbie2
02-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the welcome!!

Yeah thought about the sump. Don't think I want to drill tank and not too sure about the HOB overflows yet. I'm still a little paranoid about the HOB type overflows well.... overflowing. haha. I'm sure that I will get a sump when I switch one of the 90's over.. I mean If right... If i switch it over. All kidding aside, I am just lovin the saltwater side of things. Its got all the kool gadgets and the coolest livestock!! plus the only hitchhiker you get on the freshwater side is ich!!

troni
02-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Look into pvc overflows

sharkbait
02-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Welcome to the salty side!!

I have had salty tanks ranging from 5gallon to 55gallon and I just love the nanos! I have been running a 15gallon nano for over a year and a half now and I have had HOB overflows (never slept soundly with those things, was always worried of overflowing the sump), but I have been using two AC90 on the back of my tank, and love it. They are filled with a lot of great rubble rock and cheato. I keep my tank very lightly stocked (clown and damsel, as well as a variety of corals) and my water is pristine! The ACs also provide excellent flow and aeration.

As for the LEDs, personally I am not a huge fan of them on small tanks. I find that you really see the spaces between the LEDs reflected in the water. I have a Current USA 4bulb T5 on my tank and get great coral growth. I often only run with 2 bulbs (48watts) so as to not bleach or burn my corals.

Good luck!