PDA

View Full Version : To link, or not to link....

Pisces
03-01-2004, 06:16 PM
I'm thinking about setting up a 25-30gal tank as a coral tank. I have a 130gal fish only with lots of live rock.....but I have some fish (and starfish) that are not reef safe.

I was wondering if it would be best to keep the tanks completely separate.....or have them run off the same sump?

I probably won't do this right away because I need lights first....but I wanted to get my plan started early.

TIA!

BCOrchidGuy
03-01-2004, 08:09 PM
in my opinion if they aren't reef safe there wouldn't be much use to running them off the same sump. I myself would only do this if I was planning on moving things from one tank to the other.

Doug

Pisces
03-02-2004, 06:48 PM
I thought it would be easier for water changes, etc. Also, it's been my experience that the larger the water volume the easier it is to keep things balanced and stable.

I guess I was mainly wondering if one would positively or negatively affect the other.....

Also, I would like to move some fish to the new tank....and figured it would be less stressful.

Any thoughts?

Quinn
03-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Personally I don't see the harm in it. Reduces the number of required heaters, filtration devices, etc. And a larger volume of water equates to more stable conditions. Provided livestock cannot travel between the two, I would go for it. How are you planning to plumb them?

StirCrazy
03-02-2004, 11:45 PM
I have my mantis tank plumbed into the main tank for ease and stability, just make sure like Teevee said the nasties can't get into the other tank :mrgreen:

Steve