PDA

View Full Version : filter sock material in rolls?

WindowMaker
02-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Anyone seen this before? My sump doesnt allow for filter socks but love what they do. There is a spot where I can fit a sheet of material and I am not as happy using filter floss. Currently I have cut my existing filter sock into a sheet, but this seems wasteful.

any ideas where I could find this.

John from Spruce Grove
02-19-2012, 11:56 PM
This material is either the same as or very similar to what is used for woodworking dust collector bags. Busy Bee tools (all over Canada) sells inexpensive replacement needle felted polyester bags that would provide a lot of raw material (the woodworking bags have dozens of times the square footage of filters socks but don't cost a lot more)

Myka
02-20-2012, 12:04 AM
Go to Walmart or Fabricland or Michael's and look for 100% polyester sheeting used to make quilts. It should be 1" thick or less and be flat sheets (not balls). It is cheap, but it is not reusable.

You can also buy filter pads made by several different companies that are cut to size and washable like filter socks. They come in 50-300 micron densities. Here is a link to the Coralife Pureflo media: http://www.petstore.com/Coralife_Pure_Flo_Filter_Pad_24_Inch_X_36_Inch_Mec hanical_Filter_Media-Coralife-ES01212-AQFMME-vi.html

WindowMaker
02-20-2012, 02:25 AM
Im not really interested in polyfil anymore. I find it is too porous and not really collecting much. A filter sock turns brown over night, it takes polyfil a week to do that. This leads me to believe that the filter sock is WAY more effective.

maybe the solution is to build a new sump :D

Myka
02-20-2012, 04:10 AM
The Pureflo media is a lot better than the rolls of polyester. I use both the Pureflo and filter socks, and they work just as well as each other.

WindowMaker
02-20-2012, 01:56 PM
The Pure flo looks idea. Any hints on where go get it in canada other than big als?

WindowMaker
02-20-2012, 01:59 PM
This material is either the same as or very similar to what is used for woodworking dust collector bags. Busy Bee tools (all over Canada) sells inexpensive replacement needle felted polyester bags that would provide a lot of raw material (the woodworking bags have dozens of times the square footage of filters socks but don't cost a lot more)

just checked it out, their selection is between 1 and 30 micron. Probably too intense for my liking.

Myka
02-20-2012, 02:18 PM
The Pure flo looks idea. Any hints on where go get it in canada other than big als?

Any LFS that carries Coralife should be able to order it in for you.

jagermaier
02-20-2012, 04:43 PM
I bought some off of ebay that works pretty good, it is a 10 foot roll for $8. The stuff with the pink backing works best. Just search aquarium filter media and you will see it there.