PDA

View Full Version : Brightwell Aquatics NeoZeo Method Experiment

Myka
02-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Really long story, somewhat shortened:

My tank has been running for 2.75 years (33 months). Around the 6 month mark I started using several Zeovit products, I was able to achieve great colors, but also many cyano blooms. I started working out of province and dropped the Zeovit entirely around 10 months. Months 10-16 went pretty well with me doing one weekly waterchange, tank maintenance company doing one weekly waterchange. Months 17-25 were a disaster with the tank maintenance company doing almost all the maintenance; the tank became very dirty and I lost about half a dozen corals over the last few months.

At month 26 I stopped working out of province and started looking after the tank myself again, at this point the tank was so dirty there was cyano covering most of the sand. I was lazy for months 26-30 and only did a few waterchanges and was patchy on GFO and carbon replacement which didn't help the dirty tank situation. At this point green hair algae was starting to sprout. Month 29 I dosed ChemiClean and only achieved 90% cyano control after the first week.

Month 31 I finally decided enough is enough I have to get this under control. So I started regular GFO and carbon changing, cleaned the tank up (powerheads/pumps/siphoned overflow, etc). I was still being lazy about waterchanges, and started doing 20% bi-weekly changes. I got real aggressive changing 300 mL GFO out every 4 weeks, and 250 mL carbon every 4 weeks. I added a 200 micron filter sock changed everyday. I didn't achieve much progress and blamed the live rock leeching nutrients from months of neglect.

Three weeks ago I am still fighting cyano so I dosed ChemiClean again. I added a small baseball-sized ball of Chaeto (tumbling) and a light. I started weekly 15% waterchanges thoroughly cleaning the tank (I've done 4 now, inc one today). I seemed to be on top of the cyano at that point, although still some green hair algae it appeared on the retreat.

On Feb 9th I started dosing Brightwell Aquatics Nitrobacter7 and BioFuel as per label instructions of 19 mL each everyday (for first 2 weeks) turning the skimmer off for 4 hours after dosing. I notice a lot more skimmate being produced - at least double. Green hair algae still appears to be on the retreat, but over the last few days I have been seeing cyano again (argh!). So I check out the Brightwell Aquatics NeoZeo Method Manual (PDF) (http://www.blueworldaquariums.com/prodimages/additives/brightwell/brightwell-neozeo-method.pdf). I happen to have several bags of Zeovit brand zeolite media (it's all the same regardless of brand) kicking around, so I'm going to put it to use.

Here are their instructions (very different dosing schedule for the MB7 and BF than on the label!):
Weeks 1 and 2: Place 200 g each week of NēoZeo for each 100 US-gallons (378.5 L) in the entire aquarium system into an appropriate media reactor; adjust the rate of water flow through the reactor to ~25 gph (94.6 lph). Add 2.5 ml MicrōBacter7 per 100 USgallons daily.
Weeks 3 and 4: Add 200 g each week of NēoZeo for each 100 US-gallons (378.5 L) in the entire aquarium system into the media reactor; increase water flow through the reactor to ~50 gph (189.3 lph). Add 1 ml MicrōBacter7 and Reef BioFuel per 100 USgallons daily.
Week 5: Add 200 g of NēoZeo for each 100 US-gallons (378.5 L) in the entire aquarium system into the media reactor; increase water flow through the reactor to ~100 gph (378.5 lph). Add 1 ml MicrōBacter7 and Reef BioFuel per 100 US-gallons daily. Once the first 5 weeks of usage has passed, adjust the dosage of MicrōBacter7 and Reef BioFuel according to the appearance of the system, the inhabitants, and as dictated by the water parameters. Refer to the instructions on each of the afore-mentioned supplements’ labels for additional information. Every six-weeks, change 25% of the NēoZeo media and add 1 ml MicrōBacter7 and Reef BioFuel per 100 US-gallons daily for one week before resuming normal dosing schedule.

[also...]

Some enthusiasts familiar with zeolite filtration may scoff, but our preferred method for housing this media is simply to place it inside a large-capacity canister filter that either has some pre-existing means of flow-rate adjustment or can be retrofitted with a ball valve on the filter discharge (which practically any filter that utilizes flexible tubing will accommodate). The water flow through the media is generally maintained at a rate of <100 gph (378.5 lph), with a brief (e.g. 3 – 5 minute) dramatic increase in flow rate (e.g. >200 gph or 757 lph) every 2 – 3 days that serves to dislodge any latent organic material that may have accumulated on the surface of the media itself. We prefer to use a canister filter for this purpose because, in our opinion, it’s a cleaner approach than using an open-top reactor placed in a sump, and opens up the possibility of placing Carbonīt-P or NeōMag (our granular magnesium/calcium media) into the same vessel for added benefit; also, a filter that features flow-control built into the motor housing simplifies maintenance.

I'm not going to follow the instruction to a tee mainly because I'm going to use what I have on hand. So, I'm putting the suggested amount of zeolites into a TLF PhosBan reactor. I'm going to run it inline with my GFO with the zeolites being first because I don't have another spare pump. I will measure the flow, but I am guessing it is dialled back to about 40 gph right now. Other than this, I will following the dosing schedule starting tonight.

So, I will share my experiences with these products so anyone who wants to can follow along. :)

subman
02-19-2012, 06:55 PM
tagging along :biggrin:

Myka
02-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Ok, I have about 90 gallons of water including sump and rock displacement so I have 180 grams of zeolite media in the TLF PhosBan reactor running first inline with GFO running second inline in a second reactor. I measured and adjusted the output to be darn close to 25 gph. I measured approximately 1.5 liters per minute, so that's about 23.5 gph.

When I have to turn the zeolite media up to 100 gph I won't be able to run the GFO that fast or it will blow away, so I will have to figure something out. Maybe if I put a foam pad on top of the GFO and add carbon to the top of the reactor I could run it 100 gph. Time will tell.

Here we go... *holding breath* :eek:

Myka
02-19-2012, 11:59 PM
I forgot to mention that I had my halides turned up to 8 hrs per day for about 3 months, and dialed them back to 7 hrs per day a week ago. I don't know if it was the change in lighting or the addition of the MB7+BF, but there are some slight color increases that I noticed this morning.

I should also report that right now there are several SPS colonies that are quite pastel or mildly bleached. The two RBTAs are also somewhat bleached. These corals and anemones have been this way for at least 2 months, maybe 3. Kinda makes me think the increase in halide photoperiod was to blame because of the timing, not I'm not sure. The new coloring I am noticing is a couple of these colonies darkening up slightly (richer colors).

Myka
02-26-2012, 04:36 PM
A week later no changes in cyano or hair algae. The colonies that were darkening up a bit seem to still be darkening a bit more. I cut the halides to 6 1/2 hrs yesterday which is what I have found to work best in the past.

Today I will add more zeolite rocks, increase the flow through them, and increase the amount of MB7 added as described in the above posted instructions.

-------------------------------------------
As an aside, I have a 10 gallon tank that has been storing my Zoas and Palys for a few months. I stole their tank area for the Christmas tree and planned to drill their tank and put a skimmer on the system so they have just been in a bare-bottom 10 gallon tank with a small powerhead, and a couple pieces of live rock that barely fit in the tank. I also kept a pair of clowns in there and didn't do any waterchanges. Needless to say the nutrients built up and I had quite a bit of strange slimy, stringy light brown algae(?) growth in that tank. I started dosing 1mL MB7 daily to that tank on the 19th and holy mackerel has it made a big difference. The Zoas and Palys are expanding much larger and color has improved quite a bit.

Bblinks
02-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Tagging along. Thanks for the review.

Myka
03-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Nothing to report... :sleeping:

Myka
04-09-2012, 12:52 AM
March 4th, removed GFO so I could turn up the flow on the zeolite rocks. I have the PhosBan reactor filled all the way which is 700 grams, and 85 gph flowing.

March 27th, nothing to report. Zero improvement in cyano or hair algae. Total time: 5 weeks and 2 days.

March 28th I ditch the BioFuel and replace with vodka, continue MB7 0.3 mL per day, zeolite rocks still going. Day 1-2 0.3 mL 2x per day vodka, day 3-7 0.6 mL 2x per day, Day 8-current 1.1 mL once per day. Skimmer is producing twice as much skimmate of the same tint. I replaced 250 mL Brightwell Aquatics carbon yesterday. Day 3 shows noticeable browning of SPS corals. Day 5 shows noticeable lightening of SPS corals. Today I notice slight, but definite improvement in cyano.

Haven't done a waterchange in 3 weeks...ack! Will try to get one done tonight. Too much on the go lately.

Myka
06-06-2012, 03:38 PM
I eventually worked up to 2.1 mL per day vodka and 1 mL MB7. I stayed at that level for about 4 weeks. In this time, the improvements first noted with the vodka faded away, and I was back at square one. However, the vodka dosing completely and thoroughly browned out all my SPS corals. I also lost 3 large frags (mini colonies) to RTN in this time. The only cases of RTN I've seen in this tank.

I ditched out on the vodka and MB7 at the beginning of May, and switched to weekly siphon removal of cyano. I got 100x better results doing this than anything else I've tried. It actually takes quite some time for it to grow back.

Second week of May I dosed Prodibio BioDigest and Bioptim which I have had great success in the past for color improvement (doesn't seem to do anything for cyano or algae). I have since dosed Prodibio a second time, and am almost due for a third dosing. This has greatly improved coloring of SPS and polyp extension. I love Prodibio and have found it to be quite beneficial on three occasions now. My LPS tank likes Prodibio too, but the improvement is more noted in the SPS corals. Good product.

mseepman
06-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Quite an interesting experiment Mindy. Glad to hear that the Prodibio seems to work for you as I'm going to be going full on with that in the new tank...I've already bought a year's supply (yikes $$$)

Myka
06-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Hi Mark! I've found Prodibio to be a great product. I have only used the BioDigest and Bioptim though as I've never a need to use the supplement products. I've also found that the effects seem to wane after using it for awhile, and get better results dosing in spurts. For example, dose once every 2 weeks (as manufacturer suggests) for 5 or 6 doses (10 or 12 weeks), then take a 4-6 week break, then dose again. That's just what I've noticed on my two reefs, as with anything else reef you may find different results. :p