PDA

View Full Version : White dust like particles in water column

fireguy98
02-19-2012, 03:23 AM
Just like the title says I have particles in my water column that looks like dust. Its only in the water column nothing on the rocks or corals. Any suggestions on what this could be. I know for a fact its not sand.

kien
02-19-2012, 03:59 AM
Micro bubbles from your skimmer ?

fireguy98
02-19-2012, 04:04 AM
Nope not bubbles ruled that one out.

kien
02-19-2012, 04:08 AM
Perhaps one of your corals spawned. Hopefully something isn't precipitating out of your water column!

To me the usual suspects are: micro bubbles, sand, detritus, coral or clam spawn.

fireguy98
02-19-2012, 04:47 AM
I have had the issue since setting the tank up its only 3 months old and its driving me nuts. If it was say calcium precipitation what should i do. My Cal is 370 mg 1200 dkh 7 Ph steady 8.2

marie
02-19-2012, 04:49 AM
or it could be calcium precipitate.......it can make your tank look like it is in a snowstorm

cuz
02-19-2012, 05:01 AM
barebottom tank?
are you running filter socks? I know when i'm short on clean filter socks my water gets a bunch of debris in the water column.

fireguy98
02-19-2012, 05:18 AM
Fiji pink sand tank is a rsm 250 filter sock just the polishing filter but it doesn't seem to pull the stuff out of the water. Also if you look on the surface you can see what looks like dust on the water.

fireguy98
02-19-2012, 05:48 AM
Should say NO filter sock. Sorry

monocus
02-19-2012, 07:48 AM
depending on how old your tank is-it could be sea snow

Cbsmith
02-19-2012, 11:12 AM
I am also having the same issue in my tank. I thought it might be micro bubbles but I turned off my skimmer for a few days and it didn't change anything.

It looks exactly like dust. I haven't been doing anything in the house out of the ordinary so I am not sure what it is. The tank has been up and running for about 2 months and this just appeared about a week ago.

jjntm
02-19-2012, 06:21 PM
I am also having the same issue in my tank. I thought it might be micro bubbles but I turned off my skimmer for a few days and it didn't change anything.

It looks exactly like dust. I haven't been doing anything in the house out of the ordinary so I am not sure what it is. The tank has been up and running for about 2 months and this just appeared about a week ago.

Could still be micro bubbles.... just means not from skimmer, could be from return pump being over rated from your tank. do you have baffles in your sump? if your return pump is over rated for your tank, the amount of water draining into your sump could be producing the bubbles and without baffles to clear the water before the return pump it will just spit em back into your tank. had similar issues with my tank.

Cbsmith
02-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Could still be micro bubbles.... just means not from skimmer, could be from return pump being over rated from your tank. do you have baffles in your sump? if your return pump is over rated for your tank, the amount of water draining into your sump could be producing the bubbles and without baffles to clear the water before the return pump it will just spit em back into your tank. had similar issues with my tank.

I have a BioCube 29 running a stock return pump. When I first set the tank up there were micro bubbles for a few days as the skimmer broke in and then they went away. The water has been crystal clear up until last week. The stuff in the water looks like dust or debris of some sort, it is not round little bubbles, but more different shapes and sizes. I have done a water change thinking that mint help but it hasn't made a difference so far.

I had just chalked it up as part of the cycling of a new tank until I saw this post.

Cbsmith
02-20-2012, 12:17 AM
I think I figured out my water clarity issue. Tonight when I looked at the tank after the lights went out there were a bunch of tiny white pods stuck all over the glass, back wall, etc. they are floating in the water column as well nb sticking to the glass. I am able to watch them move around, they are about the size of a pinhead.

paddyob
02-20-2012, 12:29 AM
or it could be calcium precipitate.......it can make your tank look like it is in a snowstorm

Usually this can be caused by too heavy a dose or dosing carbonates in conjunction or too close together.

Any possibility?

fireguy98
02-20-2012, 12:30 AM
I don't dose anything yet

CpBizz
07-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Fireguy... did you ever figure out your dust particle situation in your water column? Your explanation describes my situation bang on. Thanks!

Cal_stir
07-18-2013, 08:49 PM
What kind of salt are you using?

CpBizz
07-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Avitro Salinity by Seachem.... upon further research and salt research... I'm finding some have pointed their finger in the direction of this product. Would you say the same? And if my memory serves me right it began happening after a 15% water change. I do shake the salt bucket to hopefully ensure even distribution of salts etc and follow directions and ensure proper aeration etc.
If this is the culprit, which brand of salt are most using nowadays? I'm sure there is a thread for this. I shall look and see.
Thanks for the help!

fireguy98
07-18-2013, 09:48 PM
It was a combination of the fiji sand and aquavitro salt. Replaced sand bed when I moved the tank all is great now

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2