PDA

View Full Version : moving to another city-liverock question

goldie
02-18-2012, 03:13 PM
I am moving next week and will be bringing my liverock with me (I really like the shapes, plus I had nobody to sell it to). It will be out of the water for about a week. I was planning on moving it in a styrofoam box and covering it with wet newspaper. The one issue I have is that I have some green hair algae that I was hoping I could get rid of. Should I scrub the rocks with a toothbrush or will being out of water/light for a week be enough. Any advice is appreciated. I would like the best way to shorter my next cycle, but get rid of this hair algae. Also I wasn't planning on bringing the sand-it should be ok to get new sand?

FitoPharmer
02-18-2012, 04:50 PM
If you have lots of green hair algae scrub it off before you store it otherwise it will die and absorb into the rock over a week of sitting out of water. It will not likely get rid of your algae problem. When you set up again it should return, it is very hardy stuff. The best way to preserve your rock from cycling is keeping it out of water for the least amount of time possible. I always preferred rubbermaid garbage cans for transferring water and rock.

goldie
02-19-2012, 09:38 PM
I can't bring any water with the rock. Should I keep some of the sand to help re-seed the tank?

reefwars
02-19-2012, 09:48 PM
I can't bring any water with the rock. Should I keep some of the sand to help re-seed the tank?

no it wont be need as with your rock out of water you will need to cycle again anyways, i moved all my rock with me across country it spent 8 days in paper then wrapped in plastic. all your inverts and pests will die(mostly) but beneficial bacteria will come back as it cycles:)